Motherboard destroying hard drives?

TopACe82

n00b
Is there change that my motherboard has some kinda problem that destroys hd's?
As i have lost three hd's in 1 month. All the broken hd have been c: drives, so i am kinda bored to install windows again and again. Strange thing is that when i lost second new hd i changed it to sata drive from ide as i though theres some problem with ide controller on mobo. But now aftern 1 week i got 1 bad sector at new sata drive. And the hd that was on the same sata 0 port for 1 year is still ok.

On other note, can some programs destroy hd's? As the hd activity led is blinking all the time showing theres some kind of activity on hd even when i dont do anything.

have u overclocked your system? and if so, have u lock the PCI bus to 33MHz ?

and no programs can't damage the hardware. Faulty Hardware damage hardware

Nope, havent overclocked anything. Just thought it would be some software as there was another hard disk on sata 0 port for over a year and its still fine. No bad sectors. And as soon as i installed new drive to sata 0 as system drive. Few days later there was bad sector on disk. And tested the disk right after purchase and then there were no bad sectors.

Though, on both occasions i installed hd encryption software on system drive and few days later disk got bad sector. Just bad luck?

Hmm, another note is that my PSU to mobo power connections go right next to hard drive cage and touches on it at few points. Change that electricy is kinda short circuiting hd's or something?
Lol, it sounds crazy, but have to think about everything. As last thing i would want to do is change mobo as i have liquid cooling and it would so much work to unplug everything etc.

well u might also want to make sure that your HD cables are in good condition, try changing them. Faulty voltage supply can also be the problem here, try checking your PSU, put another one and give a spin

Yea, faulty mobo is vastly less likely than a faulty PSU. Chances are the PSU is frying the hdds, most likely.

What power supply do you have? Yes I do think that the PSU might be killing your hard drives.

Hmmm, is there any other way to test it than to get another PSU somehow?

And i doubt its PSU as its allways the same hardrive that gets "fried" 3 oldest sata drives i have are working fine without any bad sectors. Its been three times system disk(c: drive), and though its bad hard disk from the beginning, but now after two replacements in 1 month i am starting to think some other problems.

Could the PSU only affect one hd?

Hmmm, is there any other way to test it than to get another PSU somehow?

And i doubt its PSU as its allways the same hardrive that gets "fried" 3 oldest sata drives i have are working fine without any bad sectors. Its been three times system disk(c: drive), and though its bad hard disk from the beginning, but now after two replacements in 1 month i am starting to think some other problems.

Could the PSU only affect one hd?

check ur voltages with a voltmeter

hmmm, have to do that.
If i need to buy new PSU is 620W enough for the following specs?

Amd x2 5600+
2 gig ram
geforce 8800 GTX 748 mb
4 x sata drive
1 x external firewire drive
dvd/cd combo
thermaltake liquid cooling
4 case fans

I tried different wattage calculators, but not sure how accurate they are as i got 585W needed. And was thinking about corsair 620W 620HX PSU

Oh. And i currently have nexus nx-5000 PSU. Btw, how can faulty psu cause bad sectors on hd? I have allways thought that bad sectors are physical defect on hd and caused by shock or hit on disk. Or can corrupted data cause bad sectors?

What voltage i should get from hd power connector if i check with tester? 12v?

Oh. And i currently have nexus nx-5000 PSU. Btw, how can faulty psu cause bad sectors on hd? I have allways thought that bad sectors are physical defect on hd and caused by shock or hit on disk. Or can corrupted data cause bad sectors?

What voltage i should get from hd power connector if i check with tester? 12v?

So anyone can enlighten me on bad sector issue? :)

A bad PSU can cause problems with hard drives if it delivers too much or too little voltage to the hard drive. As for your Nexus power supply, ask about it in the power supply subforum here. Somebody there should be able to tell you whether or not the power supply is the problem.

Also, don't install the HD encryption program so you can rule it out as a cause of hard drive problems.

A bad PSU can cause problems with hard drives if it delivers too much or too little voltage to the hard drive. As for your Nexus power supply, ask about it in the power supply subforum here. Somebody there should be able to tell you whether or not the power supply is the problem.

Also, don't install the HD encryption program so you can rule it out as a cause of hard drive problems.

hmmm, so its as i feared, that psu can cause bad sectors. :(

and i am running test build right now without encryption.

p.s. The hard drives did made "click click" sound before freezing whole system.
Read about the "click of death" on few places. So it seems the hard drives has been affected by some kind of physical defect. Though i dont believe 3 hard drives in 1 month can crash because of that.

You might get more of a response in the power supply subforum we have.

Back