Most reliable memory brands

Mayseffect

n00b
Hey guys, Just wanted to know which brands have you guys found most reliable.

As of now i've only tried corsair, G-skill, Crucial, and Kingston. All except the Kingston have worked fine out of the box. I've only tried messing around with settings on the corsair 1866 xms3 ram and it held up well with no noted faults.
The Kingston ram was DOA and i never tried them since.

I just recently bought a pair of PNY ram, not many reviews on this but mostly positive.

Anyone have issues with these brands.

Sorry if this is repetitive, i'm a noob here.

I like Patriot memory. I have yet to run across any new bad sticks nor have I had to RMA any.

They usually have a line with low CAS that I usually try to use.

Just as i ask, i run across my first problems with the PNY ram. It will not run at 1866mhz as default. I haven't tried changing the voltage, just using Intel bios pre-selected settings (n)

Last edited:
I've used Kingston, Crucial, Corsair and GSkill -- all were flawless and gave me little problems, except fot the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM... would need +0.1V to run well but after that was rock stable and still runs to this day.

I eventually settled on what is the cheapest in my country... Happened to be the GSkill, and have used them in my last 3-4 builds without issues.

I usually use corsair and I've had very few problems with it. If a stick has gone wrong their RMA process is quick and easy

Just as i ask, i run across my first problems with the PNY ram. It will not run at 1866mhz as default. I haven't tried changing the voltage, just using Intel bios per-selected settings (n)

Could have been DOA. I have seen this more than a few times (different manufacturers) especially with overclocked ram (which will be most ram modules sold - since the chips come at JEDEC timings and speed grades).

I generally go with G.Skill for my personal machines.
When recommending for clients and family with weird setups, I generally just go with Crucial. This way I don't get stuck doing weird memory issue troubleshooting.

I use Crucial/Micron simply for the fact they make everything from the ICs to the PCBs in-house.

Could have been DOA. I have seen this more than a few times (different manufacturers) especially with overclocked ram (which will be most ram modules sold - since the chips come at JEDEC timings and speed grades).
It's not DOA, it runs fine anything under 1600mhz, the intel bios changes the voltage as well in the presets, so I'm thinking this is the problem.

I been using G Skill in my systems for over ten years, never had any issues with the RAM.

Like most people I prefer Corsair, G.Skill, and Crucial. I pretty much buy all Corsair these days though because of their customer service. I also have had the least amount of problems with Corsair RAM. This is all for my personal computers, for servers its a bit different.

I recommend G Skill. Every time I try another brand I have problems. I stopped buying Corsair years ago, I've had more than a couple DOAs.

I've tried many ram modules in the past and have had issues, trouble booting etc. Until I started using G.Skill, then I haven't had a single prob since. Could be just my luck but I'll keep going for G.Skill based on my experience and they tend to have reasonable pricing and overclockability as well. Corsair would be my 2nd choice.

while I've been a crucial guy for years, I've had success with corsair and supertalent as well (just tried supertalent once, though)

Only RAM I've ever had to RMA was a Corsair stick - 1 stick in a kit died after about a year of use. To their credit - they did replace the whole set (4x8GB).

I don't think any person here has a sample size big enough to make an informed opinion. Look for which company has the best/fastest RMA process.

Corsair Vengeance and Crucial Ballistix are in my current machines; 16GB each.

All good. (y)

+1 for Crucial. Most recently had good experiences with 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Ballistix and 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Ballistix kits.

As stated above, I don't think anyone here is going to be able to say too much.

I've never had a problem with any RAM I've ever purchased, right the way from back in the day SDRAM, through DDR, DDR3 and DDR4.

Corsair and Crucial have treated me well for the past 15+ years.

I ran some Patriot DDR1 way back when. Also fine....

Before that, I picked up whatever SDRAM I could get for cheap. I think it was some no-name chinese stuff I bought at CompUSA etc.

*currently running Crucial Ballistix

Crucial. Used to work there, but I don't hold that against them.

Lifetime warranty. The RMA (if needed) is painless with those guys. It has been a long time ago, but the lone RMA that I had to do with Corsair was a joke with all the hoops I had to jump through.

Been using G. Skill for the past 10 years after 1 pair of Corsair RAM went DOA on me. I've purchased maybe 20 pairs of G.Skill DDR2-4 and no issues.

G.Skill for me as well, past 7+ years. Every set has been flawless. Almost all of them have been great OC'ers as well.

I use Crucial/Micron simply for the fact they make everything from the ICs to the PCBs in-house.

I've not been too keen on Crucial the last few years as I have gotten DOA SODIMMs from them.

G.Skill on the other hand has been flawless for the past 10 years.

I've used Samsung, Crucial, G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, PNY, Mushkin, even "off-brand" shit like ULTRA (love those holographic stickers, lol) back in the day. In my experience, it's all the same shit unless you're shooting for higher-binned speedy stuff. Unless someone has taken literally piles of modules spanning multiple product lines and tested them for failure rates, anything that anyone can say is entirely anecdotal. I've had a little bit of failure and a little bit of DOA from damn near every brand I've used. Any given stick seems to be fine as long as it clears 24 hours of memtest. Might be worth testing 'em annually.

FWIW, I have a bunch of 1.35v ultra low profile DDR3 Crucial and some of those Samsung "magic" modules in my gear these days. Have only had one Crucial 8GB stick be faulty (throwing errors on the regular) out of box so far.

The most failure-prone modules I've dealt with over the years are Dell-branded DDR2 SO-DIMMs from the old Latitude D620-630's, whether Hynix, Elpida, or whatever BGAs are affixed to the stick, those are what I've seen die more than anything else. Might be that the laptops themselves are prone to eating them, though. Who knows!? :p

G.Skill for me as well, past 7+ years. Every set has been flawless..
About 5 years ago, G.Skill said they shipped DDR3 that showed up to 1 or 2 bad bits in final testing, except for their 2 fastest speed grades.

Whatever DDR4 is rated 1.2V at its fastest rated speed and has a lifetime warranty that covers shipping both ways.

I've never had an issue with Corsair, even when sticks when bad, it was the easiest RMA I've ever done.

Corsair, Samsung, Kingston
These are the best brands and I have tried all three of them without problem
You can also go with Hynix. it is Chinese brand.

If you are getting one for gaming then go for Corsair. If it is servers you can try Samsung and Hynix.

Have only ever purchased G.Skill because the price was always right; have never had anything besides flawless experiences with the RAM I've received from them.

Corsair, Samsung, Kingston
These are the best brands and I have tried all three of them without problem
You can also go with Hynix. it is Chinese brand.

If you are getting one for gaming then go for Corsair. If it is servers you can try Samsung and Hynix.

You got your wires crossed a bit. There are 3 big DRAM IC manufacturers - Samsung, Micron, Hynix. Everyone else (G.Skill, Kingston, Corsair, etc) buys their ICs/wafers (usually non-QCd and non-binned ones for cheap), then spends some effort to QC and bin them in house. Some of them turn better than expected, some turn shit. That's how OC memory and value memory modules are made by those companies.

Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, and Avexir. I have Avenxir in my system now and it's been rock solid.

Corsair is the only brand I've had issues with, but it was only on one set out of the several I've used. I stick to G.Skill.

I've used Samsung ... Unless someone has taken literally piles of modules spanning multiple product lines and tested them for failure rates

I got a 5 pound bag of dead Samsung memory modules and Kingston memory modules with Samsung chips spanning several product lines, speed grades and memory technologies (SDR, DDR, RDRAM, DDR2 and DDR3) so I reserve the right to call Samsung memory shit. Kingston memory used to be great back when they made their own memory chips, but they went to hell when they sold out to Samsung. I once had a failure of 9 sticks of Kingston RAM all at the same time which was the final straw in refusing to ever buy their modules again.

I'd rather buy memory modules from some Taiwanese dude in a trench coat in the alley of some industrial park with absolutely no marking on the modules than Samsung memory.

The most failure-prone modules I've dealt with over the years are Dell-branded DDR2 SO-DIMMs from the old Latitude D620-630's, whether Hynix, Elpida, or whatever BGAs are affixed to the stick, those are what I've seen die more than anything else. Might be that the laptops themselves are prone to eating them, though. Who knows!? :p

Those memory modules can sometimes be saved, they basically suffer from the same issues that GPUs and motherboards of the time had with crappy ROHS solder failing and cracking. Using some flux and reflowing each memory chip can make the module work again.

Well its been years since i am usig Kingstone. yes its true that they fail, but they serve their time as we all know that electronic have no guarantee. I got *GB ram kingstone installed on my pc and slowly they went off one by one over a period of almost 5-6 years. Now i have only 2Gb left as RAM which is slowing my PC :(

lol, Whut?

Well its been years since i am usig Kingstone. yes its true that they fail, but they serve their time as we all know that electronic have no guarantee. I got *GB ram kingstone installed on my pc and slowly they went off one by one over a period of almost 5-6 years. Now i have only 2Gb left as RAM which is slowing my PC :(

You probably have a motherboard problem. Perhaps your board is supplying way too much voltage to your ram.

Last edited:
Like most people I prefer Corsair, G.Skill, and Crucial. I pretty much buy all Corsair these days though because of their customer service. I also have had the least amount of problems with Corsair RAM. This is all for my personal computers, for servers its a bit different.

Me too! I've had great experience with Corsair and their customer support is terrific. Regarding memory brand, I'd say it only matters if you plan to overclock. I can't even remember last time I had bad memory home or at work. My own last bad memory was DDR2 Dominators after maybe 10 years of service. Corsair didn't even have them anymore so I got an option for DDR3 set (but not Dominator level) or check (base purchase minus 5 years of value loss but given original cost it was still a lot).

G Skill and Corsair have never failed me. I love my ripjaws ram.

Back