most recent repair on my girlfriends macbook

I don't even deal with the Apple Store (though until recently, there wasn't one close to me). I've always just called the AppleCare number when requesting service and it's been fine for me. They always overnight me a pre-paid shipping box for repairs.

I figured we'd skip the long on-hold loop-de-loop and go straight for the store for a repair, and it means we could have it better planned into our day than an 'who knows how long' phone call when the support line is only open 9-6...

anyway, huge HUGE mess they've caused and now the phone guys have to put up with me... they insisted on writing up the store for misconduct as well, so they'll be evaluated.

you're blessed with patience of a 1000 gods. I would have called the police and BBB on the store and said they stole my laptop, because it came back in worse condition than you left it.

Seriously, that manager would not want to go back to his job after he lied to me. he'd be afraid if I would ever step in the store.

ouch man reminds me of sprint they were gonna get the dust out of my phone and they tried to give it back to me with even MORE dust in the screen, grrrrr

did you guys see the picture? my god. it's not even remotely put together correctly and i know because i've torn my own machine down a few times...

i mean, i could have fixed this, but i shouldn't have to, and i fully expect apple to replace this monstrosity.

we didn't pay an extra 240$ for the applecare to get this pulled on us...

lesson learned though, never trust anything a retail outlet tells you.

this is so strange to me though because they always went out of their way to help me when i was in there before... i'm on my 4th iphone 3g and this one has lasted the longest so far without any sort of cracking, and on launch day for the iphone at&t messed up the transfer over so the manager left the store with me to walk to the mall's at&t store and sort everything out, really just... totally went out of their way to help me and make sure everything was great... hell they even gave me some of the pizza from their employee lunch and water and cookies and stuff while i was there... let me use their bathroom so i wouldn't have to venture out into the mall to pee...

but this is just... i know these two people are new, but this is totally unacceptable, and applecare knows it and is doing everything they can to fix this.

as ridiculous as this is, at least they know and admit they've screwed up and want to fix it, the store not so much (at all actually), but the company/applecare does...

in business 101 three weeks ago i was just raving about the support i had on my own macbook and how well i was taken care of and how they even called *me* back when the calls dropped for whatever reason... maybe that was the exception and not the rule?

Sorry to see that, I for one am sick of taking things to retails for repairs. Most of the time things don't get done.

I'm lucky in that I have a local apple authorized repair shop where the guys are friendly and helpful and are fast about getting things fixed. I had my macbook pro screen replaced and i had it back in 48 hrs with a brand new screen installed.

for every one hundred stories extolling the competence apple care support, there are a hundred stories ridiculing them for the opposite. keep in mind that the iphone is a new product that needs to have good experiences associated with it; whether we're talking about user satisfaction with the product itself or support for that product. apple stores are more like franchises than a true extension of the parent company. some may have at least one or two actual apple employees, and some maybe staffed only by employees of that particular store. if you're not an apple employee, there is the matter of keeping the parent company happy. an apple business partner makes its money off of apple reimbursements for each repair. the key to receiving the maximum amount of reimbursements is to maintain a high excellence number by keeping the parts per machine repair ratio low. some business partners may choose to skirt some repairs towards the end of the month to keep their ratio in check.

Wow, you actually made sure to complain that she typed "threw" instead of "through".

well the machine was sent off this morning, would have been yesterday if DHL wasn't only open till 4pm on weekdays... wtf is that about?

anyway, once the machine is received at Apple I expect a phone call where they will be offering me a replacement for it under warranty, which I will accept, because I'm actually worried about the future integrity of this machine after this shoddy repair job, and have expressed my feeling as such. Unless they replace all the casing and the motherboard (for overheating and kernel panics) and the whole top case and such, which is probably just as expensive for them as a new machine...

I feel your pain, the Apple Store reps are complete morons. You'll probably get a shiny new Aluminum Macbook in the mail. ;)

sounds like apple is hiring former best buy managers. maybe they are picking up the circuit city layoffs.

So... we got the machine back from AppleCare, I had planned to call them up while it was in repair but they must have rushed it... and it shows...

It's still not in the condition it was in when we first began the repair at the Apple Store in Bellevue Square...

So unfortunately I have to make a few angry phone calls because this is bullshit.

They've ruined the structural integrity of this laptop and will NOT fix the issue without getting pushed it seems.

You could always forward your blog entry over to [email protected] and [email protected], Sure Steve Jobs won't be replying, but someone from their executive PR team will.

People have gotten pretty fast responses then, and considering twice they messed it up already.

I will say that you did handle the situation better than I would. I've never really had that bad of an experience with Apple service, but I will say that Apple store employees are never actually employed by Apple, and so therefore, they usually aren't going to be as qualified as someone else might be.

You could always forward your blog entry over to [email protected] and [email protected], Sure Steve Jobs won't be replying, but someone from their executive PR team will.

Yea, I agree. I'd state your issue to those emails and go from there. WHILE WAITING FOR A RESPONSE THOUGH.... contact the BBB in area (online) and file a complaint against the store. Then go online, find out your state's attorney general office and file a complaint with them against the store.

You better believe that you'll start getting some responses.

If I were you, I'd get a digital camera out, take a VIDEO of the current condition of the laptop that was returned to you from apple care and post it on youtube. That way you have live evidence of what it looks like.

I've been lucky myself with apple, only had to send an iPod in once for repair. However any time I send something in I've gotten into the habit of taking pictures before I send it in so I have evidence when i get it back in case something bad happens.

I did just edit, update and email the blog entry to sjobs and steve emails, thanks for those.

I'm just so amazed it's come down to this, and I don't' have time right now but I will be contacting the local BBB later today, thanks for all the support.

Just got a call from the highest up at the store where this all started, I'm going to meet him between 4 and 5 pm today, that was really fast... hopefully he sets this right.

Can't say I'm at all happy with the situation though, no matter how it ends up.

Seems when it come to customer service Apple is right in line with any PC vendor these days.

*waits for the flames to begin*

So, they replaced the machine with a top of the line Alum MacBook, backlit keyboard everything, gave her a fresh set of 3 years of AppleCare AND a DisplayPort > DVI adapter.

And he wants me to come in with my MacBook and see what he can do for me because I was the one who had to go through this all for a machine that wasn't even mine.

Yeah, customer service sucks at just about any company. Trying to get through to someone who can get something done is like pulling teeth unless you get that one special person who understands how to do their job 100%.

That is awesome they swapped it for the upgraded model, maybe they will upgrade yours too :)

So. I'm at the mall again with my machine, and they're upgrading it to the same as hers.

Waiting on the data transfer now. They gave me DVI and VGA adapters too.

Still waiting for the data transfer, they're doing it via gigabit ethernet as a 'import from an older mac' when you first turn the machine on, which was how I did it with my GF's machine that got replaced earlier today but I had a backup of hers on a USB hdd I had around, I didn't have a backup of my machine...

oh well.

30 some odd minutes left.

Shoulda taken it to U Vill, they do better work (they have the stuff to do it in house). Bellevue is hella small and super hot, I can't stand being there.

edit - sweet that you got upgraded. The aluminum ones are so much better.

Bellevue Square ordered the stuff to do it in house too, but the problem was they told me it was mailed off, so I had to do a whole run around on the phone to get the real answer as to what happened to the machine and who could really help me in this situation.

i feel like i'm in a hotels.com commercial, where they gave me cool things so i'm obliged to give them a good review now.. but well, the fact that they had to replace my machine when mine wasn't even in for repair to make things right.. well that's a bit much.. but i do like this thing so far...

i am suffering from that weird trackpad bug people have been reporting though and i've noticed tiny nicks in the corner of the case in about 2 or 3 spots, super tiny, but that might be normal with the new manufacturing process? i wouldn't know.. my gf's was the same way.

Nice to see you got 2 AluBooks out of it, though Id still hate to be in your shoes after all that.

I am curious about the DVI adapter though, did they give you the dual link one?

They gave me the normal DVI and normal VGA adapters, and a normal DVI one for my GF.

I'm sure I could have thrown anything I wanted into the bag and they wouldn't have said no.

In fact I just traded the machine and some cash for a base model MBP on CraigsList.

I was in the store two days ago getting my 4th iPhone 3G raplaced (due to cracked case, again.) and the manager that dealt with me at the beginning of all of this was on the floor, and the greeter person saw me come in, got all wide eyed and whispered into his mic and she went into the back room until I left the store.

And well, it took them till 5:25 to honor my 5pm appointment because they only had 2 guys at the counter...

Anyway, this 5th 3G is a dud, it's turning off sporadically and the home button doesn't click it just 'smushes' so I set up another appointment for 5:40 today, after the class I didn't miss because my phone turned off and the alarm didn't go off... hurray. Shot off a sorry note to my prof...

They gave me the normal DVI and normal VGA adapters, and a normal DVI one for my GF.

I'm sure I could have thrown anything I wanted into the bag and they wouldn't have said no.

In fact I just traded the machine and some cash for a base model MBP on CraigsList.

I was in the store two days ago getting my 4th iPhone 3G raplaced (due to cracked case, again.) and the manager that dealt with me at the beginning of all of this was on the floor, and the greeter person saw me come in, got all wide eyed and whispered into his mic and she went into the back room until I left the store.

And well, it took them till 5:25 to honor my 5pm appointment because they only had 2 guys at the counter...

Anyway, this 5th 3G is a dud, it's turning off sporadically and the home button doesn't click it just 'smushes' so I set up another appointment for 5:40 today, after the class I didn't miss because my phone turned off and the alarm didn't go off... hurray. Shot off a sorry note to my prof...

after all of this and you still have a bad iphone... :( i really feel bad for you.

I got the new 3G and it's fine, everything works as expected, no dead pixels, or etc..

I even got AppleCare for the damn thing because knowing my luck on these I'll be needing it.

I know where you have been, 7 macbook pros and 12 iphones and yet my macbook pro is still broken. Apple hardware is great when it works but man I really got tired of going into my local apple store

How was your experience with the repairs and stuff though?

The call-in AppleCare guys were about 1000000000000000x more helpful than the in-store guys.

Unfortunately I shouldn't have had to receive *any* new MacBooks, we were happy with getting her old one fixed.

Just because they gave use laptops doesn't mean they fixed the issue's we had to go through, and the lying and all that other BS.

How was your experience with the repairs and stuff though?

The call-in AppleCare guys were about 1000000000000000x more helpful than the in-store guys.

Applecare guys were useless for me, so were the in store guys. Sent a bunch of emails to "steve jobs" and the BBB. That day I got a phone call from the head of customer affairs and a call from the store manager. :p

I sympathize with the OP. I personally do not care for the service at the Apple stores.

I paid for the warranty service and I called once to make an appointment. They would not accept a reservation for an appointment over the phone. That courtesy is reserved for a paying an extra couple of hundred bucks. So I went to the store made an appointment for a couple of days later. Wow.

I don't think the computers are any better, I don't think the people at the Moron Bar are any nicer or knowledgeable.

I do like the software and ease of use. So I buy Apple. The flat only reason. Once it is legal OR really really easy to use OSX on something else (meaning all updates are just as simple). I'm there.

Back