most powerful GPU that doesn't require external power

Boostage

Limp Gawd
I have a Mac pro from 2009 or so. Looking to upgrade the GPU. The PSU doesn't have a 6 pin connector so it won't take a high end card. Is there anything better than a 7750?

Yeah unless you don't have spare molex connectors you can just use adaptors. The pci-e power is 12v and not anything special.

Its a mac pro. it only has what it was meant to have, there are no extras. look at the tower on the right
Side_Power_Mac_G5_-_Mac_Pro_.jpeg

There are no molex to adapt from, even the SATA power comes directly off the motherboard. they don't use standard off the shelf power supplies. and as far as I know if I tried to retrofit a regular PSU, it wouldnt power the motherboard. Im kinda suck having to use a non external power GPU. down the road I can get a 2010+ model that allows more modern video cards, but this is what I currently have. so is the 7750 the best of the best?

No, they use the same GPU's as PC users. so any off the shelf gpu will work, its just PSU's and RAM that have to be made specifically for your machine, everything else is like normal.

No, they use the same GPU's as PC users. so any off the shelf gpu will work, its just PSU's and RAM that have to be made specifically for your machine, everything else is like normal.

Actually, the RAM nowdays is just standard RAM.
Nothing special about it at all, except that Apple charges more for it.

I think the 7750 is it.

Nothing that AMD released last fall really fits as an upgrade to the 7750, their options are either weaker (and use more power, the r7 250), or use way more power. I don't think nVidia has anything, maybe the 650, but I don't think that's really any more powerful.

I want those fans, I bet they move a ton of air. Gota love the clean build and great case design of the old school mac pro.

They use the same GPUs, but the vBIOS that controls them are not the same for PowerPC based systems (G3, G4, G5). You have to use a Mac Edition card that is supported in version of OS X you're running. If you're running 10.5 (the highest you can run on a G5) a 7800 series card looks to be the best you're going to get since Apple switched to Intel processors shortly after those came out and did away with the need for PowerPC compatible vBIOS's.

edit: The pictures you posted is of a PowerMac G5, not a Mac Pro, so if you do indeed have a Mac Pro with an Intel processor, disregard this part about vBIOS compatibility. However, drivers for the card you want to run DO have to be included in the version of OS X you're running, and that's pretty limited. As far as I know, you can't download them from Nvidia or AMD like you can for Windows. If you're running Windows, then there shouldn't be any problems (unless there's an EFI issue that I'm no aware of).

edit2: ehh. didn't see the other half of the enormous image on my tiny 13" screen lol. never mind. nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Sorry for the the double post, but boredom at work has nothing better for to do than look up things.

The 2009 Mac Pro actually DOES have two 6-pin PCIe Power connectors on the motherboard capable of providing 300w. You'll have to get what Apple calls "booster cables" to use them though. The highest card supported that I've seen so far is a GTX 680 in 10.8.2 or higher, but you won't have display until OS X loads the drivers for it unless there's a Mac Edition version (EFI compatibility).

lWkfWSk.png

Back