• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Most powerful card i can get?

I think the 5770 draws the same power as the 4770 (or better). I would definitely go with a 5770 over the 4770 if you can afford the $150 price.
 
I dont see how you have manged play games on that 8500gt. with only 2gb of system ram and relatively slow A64 X2 dont expect every game to play well just because you get a new card though. and how on earth are you getting by on an 80gb hd? :eek:
 
how on earth are you getting by on an 80gb hd? :eek:

Hehe, good question. To add to this, how do you expect to install/play a pc game with no DVD drive also?

As far as video cards, I wouldn't bother slapping in a Radeon 5770 in that setup. I would probably put in a Geforce 8800GT/9800GT in there for under $100. Or, see if you can find a used 9600GT/8800GT/9800GT. This is a big upgrade from an 8500GT video card. 8500GT is really slow.
 
Actually I think it has been over a year since I've even used my cd/dvd drive to install anything or for anything at all.

About the same for me. I wanted to put an new installation of vista on my machine and realized I didn't have a DVD drive installed at the time and hadn't for 3 or 4 months.
 
so do you just randomly remove your dvd drive? I built my pc with one and thats where its staying. :confused:
 
I dont see how you have manged play games on that 8500gt. with only 2gb of system ram and relatively slow A64 X2 dont expect every game to play well just because you get a new card though. and how on earth are you getting by on an 80gb hd? :eek:

the 8500gt is indeed garbage, it will at least run most games. i sold my old pc c2d4400, 2gb ram, 8800gt, and am just looking for a gpu that will give me comparable performance if not better.

how do i get by on an 80gb hd? streaming porn.

Hehe, good question. To add to this, how do you expect to install/play a pc game with no DVD drive also?

As far as video cards, I wouldn't bother slapping in a Radeon 5770 in that setup. I would probably put in a Geforce 8800GT/9800GT in there for under $100. Or, see if you can find a used 9600GT/8800GT/9800GT. This is a big upgrade from an 8500GT video card. 8500GT is really slow.

99% of the games i play are online, and the few dvd's i do have laying around i can install with my external dvd drive(got it for my moms nettop). and for installing the OS i used my 4gb flash drive.. though if your going to do this make sure you do it correctly. i believe i screwed something up during installation, and now to boot into windows the flash drive must be in the usb port..

so do you just randomly remove your dvd drive? I built my pc with one and thats where its staying. :confused:

had one that i was going to put in it but it ended up not working.

so 4770 or 9800gt?
 
the 8500gt is indeed garbage, it will at least run most games. i sold my old pc c2d4400, 2gb ram, 8800gt, and am just looking for a gpu that will give me comparable performance if not better.

how do i get by on an 80gb hd? streaming porn.



99% of the games i play are online, and the few dvd's i do have laying around i can install with my external dvd drive(got it for my moms nettop). and for installing the OS i used my 4gb flash drive.. though if your going to do this make sure you do it correctly. i believe i screwed something up during installation, and now to boot into windows the flash drive must be in the usb port..



had one that i was going to put in it but it ended up not working.

so 4770 or 9800gt?

4770 >>>>>>> 9800GT
4770 ~ 4850 ~ 9800GTX
 
Hmmm, the lack of APFC on that FSP PSU is a pretty big indication that it's based on an old FSP PSU design. So not entirely sure whether or not it can actually provide its rated wattage.

If you absolutely cannot upgrade your PSU, then your best bet would be the HD 4770 since it only uses about 65W at full load. The 9800GT uses about 110W at full load and the HD 4850 uses about 94W at full load. Figures taken from here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010.html

I would not feel comfortable with using either the 9800GT or HD 4850 on a PSU of unknown quality.
 
so do you just randomly remove your dvd drive? I built my pc with one and thats where its staying. :confused:

Mine went bad about a year ago, so I stole my wife's at that time to install a game. I then put it back in her machine when I needed to do something off a DVD about 6 months later. Still haven't gotten around to getting a new one.
 
Hmmm, the lack of APFC on that FSP PSU is a pretty big indication that it's based on an old FSP PSU design. So not entirely sure whether or not it can actually provide its rated wattage.

If you absolutely cannot upgrade your PSU, then your best bet would be the HD 4770 since it only uses about 65W at full load. The 9800GT uses about 110W at full load and the HD 4850 uses about 94W at full load. Figures taken from here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010.html

I would not feel comfortable with using either the 9800GT or HD 4850 on a PSU of unknown quality.
i think its actually rated for 350, 400w max. as long as the 4770 is better than my old 512gb 8800gt then i will be happy.
 
i think its actually rated for 350, 400w max. as long as the 4770 is better than my old 512gb 8800gt then i will be happy.

Oh. The HD 4770 is roughly the same as the 8800GT IIRC.

It's rated at 350W but only has 276W on the +12V rail. In addition, there's no info whatsoever whether or it not can actually provide 276W on the +12V rail. The lack of APFC is a good sign that it probably can't.
 
The Radeon 4770 will definitely outperform the 8800GT. The 4830 is the equivalent to that of the 8800GT/9800GT
 
Back
Top