Most Parents Believe Games Contribute To Real Violence

Most legit studies show that games have a short term effect on people releasing endorphins which typically wears off after about 30 minutes, basically the same effect as playing any given competitive sport etc...

Just another way for people to shift blame ultimately, "it can't be me/my child it has to be some outside evil influence". Personal responsibility; what ever happened to this concept?

Should poll these same parents, ask them if The Beatles, The Who and The Rolling should be banned in general, because it was music back then that kids liked and adults hated and adults said that was poisoning youths souls.

I'll give you that one as the NRA's PR is just a fucking disgrace. They even suggested that we should have armed guards at every school. Fuck you. How about we send students and teachers to jail and have them learn there. The facilities are already built and are super secure, and there are plenty of high school drop out security guards with experience there, no need to waste taxpayer money on new ones.

I'm all for my right to own guns, but sometimes I cringe at what some of these zealous idiots say.

The NRA is in no way right-wing. They cater to many Democrats as well as Republicans. They're a lobbying group, nothing more. Organizations like Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment foundation don't bother with stupid shit like blaming video games or anything else. There's been many smaller-scale battles for gun rights in states all across the country that the NRA has had no interest in aiding with. They're only interested in their role as a powerhouse in Washington...being another slimy cog in the horrific political machine that serves as the federal government of the United States.

Neglecting and / or abusing children contributes to violence. People have been finding ways to hurt people since we were swinging from trees and learned that we could fling poo.

Video games (like music) have become a scapegoat that doesn't really have a voice to fight back. It's not really a liberal or conservative thing - it's an ignorance thing. Video games make people crazy, just like guns kill people, Brown people are stupid, Yellow people are smart, Blacks are lazy, Jews are evil, Gays are deviant, Jesus looked like a White man...

...was meant as a joke....I just thought that quote was funny.

I have never actually believed that games cause all those issues. I am more inclined to see it all as people looking for a scape-goat. There are plenty of other much more serious things to worry about That are more likely to create mental issues in kids. Things like molestation. Things like a parent that forces their kid into a direction (lawyer, doctor, Harvard, Yale, etc.) that they DON'T want to go in. Extreme over-protective parents. Mixed messages from parents that use "do as I say...not as I do". Mothers that agree to be married to a man KNOWING that that man molested their daughter. Fathers that can't lay off the bottle. That's not even to mention the psychological effects on children of divorce.

and we're worried about games??????

Most of the parents who think this way probably are also those parents who cannot, will not or simply do not engage their children in the sorts of uncomfortable discussions that help shape us as human beings. If they did, their children might be able to recognize key factors that distinguish fantasy from reality, and what constitutes appropriate behavior.

I despise these hysterias too, but give me a break. What makes you so qualified to determine who is fit to raise a child? Does your criteria include "must respond to polls in ways I like"? Why has it become chic to sneer at the majority of people in order to place oneself above them? These proclamations about who should be breeding hearken back to a time, coming up on a century ago, where everyone loved this new idea called eugenics. Perfect for the "most people are stupid" crowd...but it didn't end well. In fact...it led to more violence than video games could ever cause.

Can't we nip that shit in the bud before it comes back and history repeats itself?

Where the hell did that come from? I'm saying that not enough is done to instill a real sense of responsibility in people when it comes to having and raising children. Or even taking any responsibility at all in the case of unplanned births. It goes beyond parenting,taking responsibility for ones actions and choices is sadly lacking in today's society,it's more convenient to blame everything on whatever whipping boy is popular in the media at the time.

Imagination is not reality.
Unfortunately a lot of adults prefer to live in a fantasy world.
Its much easier to explain the harder questions in life when you live that way.
Even when there really is no answer...

IMO, the only people that are violent because of video games/simulations are CIA drone operators.

Other than that, and since no one in the gov cares to address any REAL issues home or abroad, at home this debate is obviously more and more all about very drastically reducing guns to the point of no possible threat from the US population for fear of a possible* revolt (crazy talk). Sooner or later it will be brought forth in some manner (GOV: we aren't banning them, just no one will legally have them...lol.). However when the same government that leads the way in killing people abroad on an annual basis talks about restricting guns of its own people for safety should make anyone with a conscious question it. It's a double standard to say the least.

Just to be clear, this is the same government that allowed private military's to even form in the first place like BlackWater (Academi) and who were using regular civilians as target practice in Iraq killing at least 17 injuring 22. That's called terrorism too folks and that's on the US governments hands. One of thousands of cases.

IMO, it's all about incremental implementation of what the rich want. Them with it all and the poor with too much of nothing. So for the unforeseeable future it's all about straight up highest dollar propaganda campaigns, from here on out. You will only see reporting (over reporting) about bad guys shooting good people all over television because good people shooting bad guys is just too uncontroversial.

Maybe not now, maybe not next year (or 10), but at some point in time no one but the guys with all the money and power are supposed to have all the weaponry. It keeps things fair...for them! Video games or any other discussion that furthers this debate will take place over and over no matter what until the ultimate goal is reached.

Disarming a populace is a question every government has asked itself at one time or another. Matter of fact, they'd never publicly tell you the truth on their overall decision no matter what. It's national security so it has to be manipulated into real results. An uneven playing field is how _____ men stay in power.

The movie industry puts out garbage that is far worse than any game that I have played or seen. These people are spineless, however, and would not dare attack them, so they go after what they see as a weaker target. They will allow their kids to watch violence and gore on TV or a movie screen but somehow a video game is the real catalyst; these parents are oxygen thieves.

Where the hell did that come from? I'm saying that not enough is done to instill a real sense of responsibility in people when it comes to having and raising children. Or even taking any responsibility at all in the case of unplanned births. It goes beyond parenting,taking responsibility for ones actions and choices is sadly lacking in today's society,it's more convenient to blame everything on whatever whipping boy is popular in the media at the time.

I fully agree, but what is the use of just calling the majority of parents unfit to raise children? Once enough people say it, you have to realize that some of the people saying it are talking about themselves, whether they're parents or not. You need to also realize that it's not as simple as "people not taking responsibility for their kids". Terrible parents have existed for the whole of time and their offspring weren't going apeshit in schools and movie theaters. I just finished watching a documentary about workplace shootings, and a hell of a lot of evidence pointed not to parents, but to cruel and malicious management that treated employees like crap. Whose parents are to blame in such a situation?

Sad fact is that there is no one reason why human beings sometimes do crazy, awful things apart from the fact that, beneath our civilization, we're still flawed creatures. Some of us are going to be the most dangerous people in our society, and despite what many people want to believe, there will never be some magic test or vaccine to prevent this crap from happening. You won't be able to single out a specific group of people, or a certain behavior that can be identified that will allow you to see into the future. People have to accept that bad shit occurs sometimes, and it's a healthier and more therapeutic to use the occasion to reflect on what you do have in life, and not to take it for granted.

The cruel and malicious managers' parents.

Then shouldn't we also blame their parents' parents? After all, they're clearly responsible as well, if we're going by heredity. And how about the parents before that?

Fuck it. Blame either Adam and Eve or whatever pair of half-ape motherfuckers started us off. How about that?

obviously, the lack of competent & effective parenting is infinitely more contributory, but hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself

“Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music" ~ Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

So Pac-Man resulted in druggies listening to trance? :p

Looking at the poll it does not seem too legit. Who is the group doing it and who are they asking are always good things to know.

But of course polls and info like this play right into the neurotic media which we love to gobble up so much. Fiction becomes fact.

Have there been any studies exploring a link to video games and lower murder rates? We peaked in 1980 or so with violent crimes and are now at 1960 levels.

When in reality it is the parents themselves who are to blame for 90% of their kids' "violence".
That's right parents, just keep blaming the games, schools, tv, movies, society, and everything else in the world... except yourselves that is. :rolleyes:

Terrible parents have existed for the whole of time and their offspring weren't going apeshit in schools and movie theaters.
:confused::eek:
What?!

I fully agree, but what is the use of just calling the majority of parents unfit to raise children? Once enough people say it, you have to realize that some of the people saying it are talking about themselves, whether they're parents or not. You need to also realize that it's not as simple as "people not taking responsibility for their kids". Terrible parents have existed for the whole of time and their offspring weren't going apeshit in schools and movie theaters. I just finished watching a documentary about workplace shootings, and a hell of a lot of evidence pointed not to parents, but to cruel and malicious management that treated employees like crap. Whose parents are to blame in such a situation?

Sad fact is that there is no one reason why human beings sometimes do crazy, awful things apart from the fact that, beneath our civilization, we're still flawed creatures. Some of us are going to be the most dangerous people in our society, and despite what many people want to believe, there will never be some magic test or vaccine to prevent this crap from happening. You won't be able to single out a specific group of people, or a certain behavior that can be identified that will allow you to see into the future. People have to accept that bad shit occurs sometimes, and it's a healthier and more therapeutic to use the occasion to reflect on what you do have in life, and not to take it for granted.

So, with context above and disappointment unlimited, I give you some facts about American school shootings for the 1800s, Wikipedia List of attacks related to primary schools.
Unless of 'course you don't trust information from a source like wiki, if so whatever.

Crazy people have been beating the @&^% snot out of other people, for any reason you like, since man realized that other people had things differently then they did. Our [ American ] society is very very screwed up, to the point that some faceless political pandering 'Center' thinks that they should be able to get political power, ie popularity, from another domestic tragedy.

Well, I say 'FU' faceless soulless "Center" and try to THINK on my own in order to HELP others as part of my day-to-day life. [working in IT for a rural hospital if it matters]

Just don't try to say that school, or any other kind of against the weak, violence is new in any way. They bought and sold the patent on this crap before we rallied against the red coats.

PS. any illogical or unsupported response will not be responded to.

PPS. Yes, I am a horrible awful human [ I imagine in the eyes of those wishing to govern]

I'm not sure violent video games don't cause violence, but I have my own experience. Been playing FPS games since Doom, and when a small bird landed in front of my target while I was shooting, I had to wait 20 minutes for that stupid bird to decide to do something else. I just knew I'd feel awful forever if I hurt the bird.

So...I don't think they made me violent.

75% of parents think that video games cause violence.... but more important how many of those have sons that play video games??? how many of them are retarded? 100%

The parents only answer this way because it absolves them from responsibility.

If your kid turns out to be a violent murderer it's Call of Duty's fault not yours.

Video games have a rating on the box that is usually pretty accurate.

Pen and Teller. Certainly a subjective couple of guys. They happen to be right on the money with this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SgM_acEsqw

The issue is not what 'most parents' think, it's more with an observation of what the criminally insane do. There always has to be a 'bogey man' to blame. By that standard, you could also argue simple breathing contributes to violence.

It's sad that lot of people blame games or even movies for violence. Most violent games and movies are actually inspired BY violence, not the other way around. WW2 games did not cause WW2 to happen. :p

A sane person can play a violent game but still be a good person in society. I enjoy killing animals and people in various games, and I always thought it was funny to cast DOT spells on a horse in UO and see how far I can ride it. No way would I even think about harming an animal or person in real life. If anything a violent game gives you a place to do crazy stuff you don't want to do for real, but is still fun to do in a virtual world. People who lose the separation of these worlds are to blame, not the game itself.

One thing I notice in all these threads: The parents are constantly being accused and blamed. Personally, that's just as bad as finger pointing at games.

Truth is: There is no single cause to blame, other than the person who commits the crime being the cause themselves.

Fact is there are countless numbers of people who grew up abused and with violent parents and peers, yet their own sense of responsibility prevents them from becoming violent criminals, while on the other hand hundreds of violent criminals grew up with good parents who taught them good principles.

Some people are inherently evil and some are not. That's just a fact of life.

There is some truth to this.

When I was younger I used to play a lot of Super Mario Bros, and I got in trouble with the law because I would look for turtles and then kick them at other kids and then stomp on their heads. I also got in trouble for taking a sledge hammer to brick structures in my neighborhood, hoping to find one that would spit out gold coins... and lets not forget about the experiments with magic mushrooms to make me bigger.

Some people are inherently evil and some are not.
I don't think anyone is good or evil, nor is anything so black and white.

In cases like this, I think it usually boils down to major social retardation or other mental issues that could likely be diagnosed as some kinda of chemical imbalance or other defect.

Most parents don't like their kids playing too many video games though in the first place, and its a lot easier to lay the blame on something they are already against (like inanimate objects like the gun) than to point out the real problem that socially retarded kids, bullying induced "snaps", and others with recognized disorders like asperger's and the like are not just victims but liabilities and the true threat.

Plus, with the real problem, what is the easy quick-fix answer that they want? Get rid of violent video games or pass an anti-gun law, quick and easy. Voila. Tackle the issues of mental health and peer abuse and so forth, major social issues... hard to decide what to do.

Remember the Beavis and Butthead fire controversy. Parents, always pointing the finger somewhere.

I have a better question: who the fuck takes time out of their daily life to contribute worthless opinions to an incredibly retarded survey? My theory? People stupid enough to not have anything better to do with their time :rolleyes:

I'll give you that one as the NRA's PR is just a fucking disgrace. They even suggested that we should have armed guards at every school. Fuck you. How about we send students and teachers to jail and have them learn there. The facilities are already built and are super secure, and there are plenty of high school drop out security guards with experience there, no need to waste taxpayer money on new ones.

I'm all for my right to own guns, but sometimes I cringe at what some of these zealous idiots say.

What did you expect? The NRA lobbied the government to prevent any federal funding to be spent on collecting information on gun homicides or injuries by guns. Hospitals are also forbidden to do so. Therefore most of the information about people being injured or killed by guns are at best incomplete.

News, TV, and newspapers compete directly for time with games so of course they're going to say bad things and change the ignorant person's perception of games.

Nope, not one person I know like this thinks this. They may not allow violent video games in their homes, but it is not because they think they will cause violence.

I don't think you know every conservative person or group in your county, let alone the state or country.

When anyone reports some violence with any tenuous link to any violent media, they're usually able to find some crazy groups that support the idea. Many are conservative Christian groups, many are extreme left wing idiots.

Scapegoating is not limited to a particular group, and you often see the people from all over the political spectrum acting like an asshole about nearly anything. You need to seperate political leanings from personality traits, because you'll see that behavior from everywhere.

Here's how I characterize the phenomenon to people that seem shocked that people that don't have the same faith as them can still have moral values:

You have an annoying evangelical Catholic that keeps berating other religions and tries to strong arm people into his religion. What happens if he loses his faith and becomes an athiest? You have an annoying, evangelical Athiest that keeps berating other religions and tries to strong arm people into his religion.

So: different shit from the same asshole.

You guys are all delusional if you don't at least admit to the fact that these ultra violent games desensitize you to the violence. Also, I can see an argument being made that games are actually worse than movies because of the interactive nature of them i.e. you are the one controlling the character doing the killing, not just a slave to whatever story is being told.

Having said that, most of us know the difference between reality vs. fantasy and know that when the game is over, we throw that proverbial switch in our minds. Small children and mentally ill/unstable folks may not be able to turn that off as quickly. I have a 3 and 6 year old and I can tell you firsthand, they have no idea the repercussions of the violence and don't fully understand the idea that when someone is dead, there's no reset button. My 6year old is starting to understand that through various pets that have died but still I don't think quite gets it 100% yet.

Either way, it's up to us as parents to teach our children. All these guys who are doing the massacres were/are all mentally ill and as a society, our systems aren't doing a good job making sure these people don't fall through the cracks and get the help they need.

Fact of the matter, there is no magic bullet one cure all for what we're facing though. We can look at guns, we can look at our Dr's and parents, we can look at society as a whole, but the bottom line is it's a combination of all of these and just focusing in on one area will not solve the problem.

:confused::eek:
What?!

So, with context above and disappointment unlimited, I give you some facts about American school shootings for the 1800s, Wikipedia List of attacks related to primary schools.
Unless of 'course you don't trust information from a source like wiki, if so whatever.

Crazy people have been beating the @&^% snot out of other people, for any reason you like, since man realized that other people had things differently then they did. Our [ American ] society is very very screwed up, to the point that some faceless political pandering 'Center' thinks that they should be able to get political power, ie popularity, from another domestic tragedy.

Well, I say 'FU' faceless soulless "Center" and try to THINK on my own in order to HELP others as part of my day-to-day life. [working in IT for a rural hospital if it matters]

Just don't try to say that school, or any other kind of against the weak, violence is new in any way. They bought and sold the patent on this crap before we rallied against the red coats.

PS. any illogical or unsupported response will not be responded to.

PPS. Yes, I am a horrible awful human [ I imagine in the eyes of those wishing to govern]

Some historians believe that such behavioral problems have been with humanity for a long time. Many of them believe that the people we know as psychopaths, sociopaths and serial killers would have been torturers, hangmen or inquisitors in centuries past. Now that such behavior is condemned, we're finally taking notice.

Some historians believe that such behavioral problems have been with humanity for a long time. Many of them believe that the people we know as psychopaths, sociopaths and serial killers would have been torturers, hangmen or inquisitors in centuries past. Now that such behavior is condemned, we're finally taking notice.

Well duh. Just as (closet) pedophiles will lead toward jobs that involve interacting with children. I like tinkering with electronics, I work as a biomed.

Back