Most life-like games now?

Terra said:
DejaWiz:

Thumbs up for the detailed explantion :)

Terra - Now if only it was in the metric system then I could understand it ;) *L*

He did it in both metric and whateverthecrapsystemweusehereintheus.

computerpro3 said:
There is such thing as a flashlight mount, which EVERY SINGLE SPECIAL FORCES group around the globe uses. :rolleyes:

You want me to repeat my question again, since your clearly didn't understand it? :rolleyes:

Terra - I'd be more than happy to do so, if you want me too? :cool:

Terra said:
eh?
This part I understand jack&shit of, and I know it's not in metric:

Terra - No offence...
86.1 Newtons = 19.356 pounds

19.356 lbs = 8.8 Kg

Replace lbs which is pounds with Kg and bam you got metric system baby. He did walk it all the way through and used both metric and whateverthecrapsystemweusehereintheus. So you can just do the same math he did and replace the whateveryouknowsystem with metric system.

serbiaNem said:
Hmmm, maybe people jump back when shot because they see it in the movies so often? ;)
LMFAO! That's a good one.

Or, maybe they move backwards because they all of a sudden have more weight towards the rear of their person, like in the seat of the pants area after getting shot?

Skrying said:
Replace lbs which is pounds with Kg and bam you got metric system baby. He did walk it all the way through and used both metric and whateverthecrapsystemweusehereintheus. So you can just do the same math he did and replace the whateveryouknowsystem with metric system.

If I remember correctly it's about 2 pounds(not metric) to 1kg?
Then I got the picture...9kg of force(and make that penetrating force) isn't gonna give you much of a airfair ;)

Terra - Why don't the US join the 21st century and go metric like the rest of the world...

Terra said:
If I remember correctly it's about 2 pounds(not metric) to 1kg?
Then I got the picture...9kg of force(and make that penetrating force) isn't gonna give you much of a airfair ;)

Terra - Why don't the US join the 21st century and go metric like the rest of the world...

Actually, I believe every single US kid is taught both systems these days. I know when I was in school that I was taught both and I have an understanding of both.

Skrying said:
Actually, I believe every single US kid is taught both systems these days. I know when I was in school that I was taught both and I have an understanding of both.
Throughout all my physics classes in both high school and college, we studied both, as well. I do like the metric system better though. Base 10 is great!

DejaWiz said:
Throughout all my physics classes in both high school and college, we studied both, as well. I do like the metric system better though. Base 10 is great!

Yes, I find the metric system easier to use too, but its good to know both.

Skrying said:
Yes, I find the metric system easier to use too, but its good to know both.

Why it's it good to know both?
Abolish the old one og get with the program(metric system)? :)

But I didn't know that you guys got thught both, here it's all metric, and it's logical..and a world standard...

Terra - No offence...

Terra said:
Why it's it good to know both?
Abolish the old one og get with the program(metric system)? :)

But I didn't know that you guys got thught both, here it's all metric, and it's logical..and a world standard...

Terra - No offence...
No offence taken!

I agree, I wish the US would completely switch over to metric. Hell, everything we buy, be it a bottle of soda or a box of cookies, has the volume of weight listed in both imperial and metric, ounces and milliliters. Heck, all the cars here aren't advertised with motors in cubic inches anymore, it's now liters. 426ci = 6.98L

You'd have to slowly move out the old system, not everyone here has a firm grasp on the metric system.

Skrying said:
You'd have to slowly move out the old system, not everyone here has a firm grasp on the metric system.
In essence, I think that's exactly what going on. Hopefully only another 30 or 40 years and we'll be completely moved over. lol

imperial has it's good points..i agree that it's mostly crap compared to metric though..

what would you do without fractions? i mean..if you only use metric you can't say something is half-full..(or half-empty..if you feel like argueing)

i think most things should be done in metric..but sometimes imperial is good to have too

will5757 said:
imperial has it's good points..i agree that it's mostly crap compared to metric though..

what would you do without fractions? i mean..if you only use metric you can't say something is half-full..(or half-empty..if you feel like argueing)

i think most things should be done in metric..but sometimes imperial is good to have too
I can see your point and rationale. However, the terms "half full" and "half empty" could still be used with the metric system. "If I pour the contents of my full 500mL bottle into a 1L bottle, the 1L bottle will only be half full (or half empty). ;)

And fractions are just another way of displaying a decimal. 1/2 = 0.5

If I were to go to Wal-Mart and see a sign that said "SALE! 0.5 OFF marked price", it may not seem like much of a savings as compared to having the same value presented as a fractional representation.

Another example would be if I were to buy a bottle of shampoo that normally has 600mL of product in it and there's a little sticker saying "1/3 more free". That would be 800mL total. 800mL = 0.8L = 4/5 of a liter. Fractions work just as well with the metric system, too. :D

SHEESH WE ARE WAY OFF TOPIC NOW. LOL

To get back on track... has anyone read my last post regarding the realizm in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and care to comment???

DejaWiz said:
If I were to go to Wal-Mart and see a sign that said "SALE! 0.5 OFF marked price", it may not seem like much of a savings as compared to having the same value presented as a fractional representation.

Actually here in Europe we use 50% off, not 1/2 price ;)

Terra - Going back to topic in next post...promise ;)

Here we learn both systems.. metric is the main, but we learn both because of the same reason people learn other languages...if someone doesnt know one or the other it would be pretty hard to explain distance or weigth to someone else....

I think the best looking game is either Final Fantasy 1 or Star Wars: Dark Forces. Every time I play those games my eyes keep trailing off the moniter because I think my wall looks like part of the screen.

It's like having a 200" TV!!!!!

j/k... Mostly we don't know how realistic these games can look imho, seeing as how pretty much NO computer can run full settings smoothly on something like 2000x1500. For a fantasy game EQ2 is the most demanding, so I think it might take the cake.

For more realistic depictions, hmm, either HL2 or Chaos Theory. B/C of HDR, I'll say Chaos Theory. Imagine 2000x1500 HDR Soft Shadows 8x transparent SSAA 16x AF with a smooth framerate... And that's w/o unreal 3 or even the 16x AA that nVidia is coming out with this month. Soon things are gonna get REALLY realistic.

Russ said:
we don't know how realistic these games can look imho, seeing as how pretty much NO computer can run full settings smoothly on something like 2000x1500.

Actually, mine can. 2048x1536 looks absolutley spectacular.

I downloaded the demo for SP:CT, just to see if the HDR added anything visually that I thought was "amazing" and I'd have to go with........ nope didnt really do anything for me other than make some rocks reflect like they were covered with glass paint.

...at uber high resolutions high aa level's aren't needed..

i'm not sure about you..but i dont' think i could see hardly any "jaggies" at 2048*1536 if i tried..

af is always useful..but aa is only needed if you see aliasing

we weren't jsut talking about graphics..and i'd still have to go wtih hl2 for the way you can interact with the enviroment...

physics are a huge part of realism..and the fact that source's physics are outsoruced doesn't really matter...first because anyone else could have done it..and 2nd the physics engine was tweaked and intergrated into source....if you just attached it to another engine it wouldnt' work so well..

i haven't played some of these other games...and the BF2 demo doesn't like me (i try to start it and it just sends me back to windows...with both of my computers..even after a fresh re-format)

out of the 3 games i have played (hl2,doom3,farcry) hl2 takes it for realism..but it depends on how you apply the engine..

farcry would whoop hl2 if i made a massiv open map (like a whole island)
and doom3 would whoop hl2 if i wanted a dark scary close quarters game..

how can anyone say which would be most realistic if they would all beat one of the others in a different situation?

I've seen a Farcry remake done in the Hl2 engine, the Source engine blew away the Crytek at a lot of things, mainly the water on the island made me go in my paints.

The Doom 3 just does look that great to me. Not even the Quake Wars tweaked version, its like a super upgraded version of the Quake 3 engine almost to me.

I dont know if anyone experienced the same thing I did, but when de_tides first came out for CS:S, and the level loaded up and my jaw dropped. That level, the CT spawn mainly, is BEAUTIFUL. I dont care if people say you can add nice textures to any engine and make it look pretty. My question would then by: Why the hell hasnt it be done before then?

Source Engine> Crytek Engine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doom 3 engine.

i'd like to see the source engine render a whole island at once...without dropping your fps down to retarded lvl's..

the farcry engine is capable of rendering huge area's without the sort of fps drop you'd get in source...source might look better in most aspects..but the playability lvl of it wouldn't be close

nighthawk8k said:
I love that game. I always picked yoshi. Its graphics were incredible.

EDIT - off topic, sorry. Just sharing some love.... in a non-sexual way ;)

Diddy Kong Racing for me - what a game. Loved Super Mario Cart (SNES) as well, did it to death :D

Back