Most indie games are such trash

tzhu07

Gawd
They tend to have some really simple quirky novelty formula, with a really simple experience, and it usually outstays its welcome and quickly feels like a grind or collectathon.

There are a few that get it right, like Limbo, Bastion, and Journey. But others are just so repetitive and boring. Most of the games in my "Junk" Steam folder are indies.

I like storylines and spectacles, so I much rather prefer games like Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, and The Last of Us. This is the way of the future and the evolution of games. Playing indies makes me feel like I'm devolving in my gaming experiences.

Indie is such a broad term.... just like company published games is a broad term. You can have games like Skyrim, but you can have games like Dark. (which seems interesting but terms out to just be ugh) Or even better, Prince of Persia remake or FF: All the Bravest.

Don't put down Indie games just because you happen to play horrible ones. Learn to read reviews and watch gameplay before you buy.

the hell indie games are you playing? Don't Starve, FTL, and Organ Trail are amazing

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Hotline Miami and to the moon. are some of the best games i have played in recent history.

just because you buy shit games doesn't make the rest bad....

honesty i think kickstarter/indy games are going to be the saving grace of the pc industry. Since the smaller dev studios actually care about their games. and are not just crapping out games to make the publishers buckets of money.

Most indie developers have very limited budget, they can't spend a lot on voice acting, motion-captured animation and other fancy cinematic effect we see in big budget games like Bioshock Infinite. That doesn't mean they can't tell a good story or have a good game play, they just do it differently.

Lots of good indy games, but lots seem to be going the way of ios or android games, as simple, short and shitty as possible just to get a game out.

tense.gif

I like storylines and spectacles, so I much rather prefer games like Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, and The Last of Us. This is the way of the future and the evolution of games. Playing indies makes me feel like I'm devolving in my gaming experiences.

Your "wave of the future" games are all ones that have put less emphasis on the actual gameplay and more on the cinematic experience. While it sounds great to combine the best aspects of movies + games together, they tend to sacrifice on the gameplay excessively. Infinite has too many areas that are devoid of enemies, and the firefights themselves are extremely short. TLOU I have no played but have read the actual gameplay parts make up only a tiny fraction of the experience, and are shallow at that. Tomb Raider has a lot of "press x to do everything" and hand-holding (your character telling you exactly what you need to do next as part of their dialogue).

"Indies" tend to focus on the opposite, the gameplay. Which ones exactly did you not enjoy? You didn't list any.

If you really like storylines and spectacles, why don't you just watch a movie?

Your "wave of the future" games are all ones that have put less emphasis on the actual gameplay and more on the cinematic experience. While it sounds great to combine the best aspects of movies + games together, they tend to sacrifice on the gameplay excessively. Infinite has too many areas that are devoid of enemies, and the firefights themselves are extremely short. TLOU I have no played but have read the actual gameplay parts make up only a tiny fraction of the experience, and are shallow at that. Tomb Raider has a lot of "press x to do everything" and hand-holding (your character telling you exactly what you need to do next as part of their dialogue).

"Indies" tend to focus on the opposite, the gameplay. Which ones exactly did you not enjoy? You didn't list any.

If you really like storylines and spectacles, why don't you just watch a movie?

Pretty much my thoughts. I've put way more time into Indie games over the last few years, the interesting gameplay keeps my focus a lot more. Games that are based around stories bore the ever living fuck out of me. They're like playable B movies, in quality.

Not all indie games have to be basic, ugly 2D tablet like games. Technically, Star Citizen is an indie game as it is made by an independent studio.

Though I agree, most of the $5-10 indie games tend to be completely uninteresting to me.

Lots of great indie games out there:
Deponia 1+2
Book of unwritten tales 1+2
Shadowrun returns
Trine 1+2
etc.

I hate to break it to the OP but the majority of trash games aren't limited to indie developers...

I like Orcs Must Die 1 and 2, great fun indie games with lots of fun and replay value.

Yea i wouldn't say most of them. There is plenty of fun indie games, plus they are usually cheap and worth the money.

*sinp* ...I like storylines and spectacles, so I much rather prefer games like Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, and The Last of Us. This is the way of the future and the evolution of games. Playing indies makes me feel like I'm devolving in my gaming experiences.

So don't play indie games? A lot of people like indie who don't have time to sit down for a game with a story line. They just want something fun to chill out with.

Great indie games:

Metroidvania:
Dust: Elysian Trail - Great art and music, a blast to play
La-Mulana - Sheer brilliance that probably won't be seen again in years, if ever

Platformers:
Giana Sisters - Great art and music
Rogue Legacy - Can't. Stop. Playing (dying)

Terraria - Does this even need a description? I've spent more time playing this than all other AAA games I've bought in the past 2 years (combined).

ARPGS:
Van-Helsing - Presses all the right buttons for an ARPG but falls short due to multiplayer glitches.
Path of Exile - Technically indie

Puzzle:
Antichamber - Absolute mind-screw to the very end. Excellent mechanics and atmosphere.

Space!:
Space Pirates and Zombies - Classic throwback to the top down space adventure games / asteroids.
Strike Suit Zero - Macross lasers!
FTL - It's all on fire!

Best suggestion I can give is stay away from the indie bundles. Most of the games in there are really questionable.

Last edited:
WELL then... I know what not to get you for your birthday.

You listed a bunch of games you played but didn't specify which ones you didn't like and why you didn't like them. Yes indies tend to come bundled together... doesn't mean you have to play them. Life must be incredibly hard for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Japanese version of indie, dojin, but they are confined to a more specific genre of games, scrolling shmups. Shmups are the original twitch shooter IMO.

I bought the eXceed bundle during the Steam Summer sale. It comes with eXceed 1, 2, and 3. Part three has Ikaruga style polarity mechanics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyokEM8hw0

The problem with most indi games is 3-D happened I'm sure alot of indi games would do better in 2-D

Back