Most frustrating thing in a Single player game

cukoodukoo

Limp Gawd
For me its the Boss fights.....:mad:

I have always felt that... the last boss fight becomes so frustratingly difficult that i end up trying it for hours at a time and give up.. Finally manage it after a couple of days..... its satisfying once I complete the game but it just robs the enthusiasm out of the game.Completing those levels becomes a chore rather than enjoyment.I remember destroying some hardware[keyboards] in the process when I was younger.

I remember the car race level in MAFIA..... I think it took me a whole night to complete it.I replayed it last year and I think they patched it give an option to change the difficulty level just for that part[ good move AFAIAC]

I am presently on Max payne 3.. amazing game but I feel that I am against a bunch of heavily armored guys with solid fire power some times.. especially when I come across those guys with that automatic shotgun thing.. their armor is fucking impenetrable.The only thing that Max has on his side is the shoot dodge move.I hope the Final boss fight isn't too hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ion0GZFTNkE&feature=related
End of rant...

Last edited:
oddly, I had no problem in Max Payne 3 with 'boss' type stuff. The one armed guy in the office building took me a little bit to figure out but it wasn't overly frustrating. I'm nearing the end of the game so I can't say what or how the end boss is.

Quick time events. I don't get to see to see the scenes.

Checkpointless or inability to save in the last mission or so. Why do some developers think it is a good idea for gamers to repete tidous tasks over and over if they fail one aspect of a mission?

Doing 5, 10, 25 man raids in WoW and people not doing what they supposed to do. Get out of the damn fire!!!

Speaking of boss battles, I smashed so many controllers fighting Bart first encounter in FF13. I didn't mind the difficulty, and I was rather enjoying juggling paradigms and keeping my party alive... then he casts Doom and suddenly I have a time limit. After investing over twenty minutes in the boss battle I have to try again because Square didn't think I did it fast enough? I was on track to win the fight...

Still I'd have to cast my vote for check points, even more so forcing the player to watch a cinematic or dialogue interaction at the beginning of the level let's say if a check point wasn't reached.

oddly, I had no problem in Max Payne 3 with 'boss' type stuff. The one armed guy in the office building took me a little bit to figure out but it wasn't overly frustrating. I'm nearing the end of the game so I can't say what or how the end boss is.

What difficulty are you playing on?The most problem I had was right before the building collapses.I didn't realize that a cut scene was coming up and entered the level with limited ammo and was stuck with a beretta and no health.The last guy on that roof with that MPS AA-12 full-auto shotgun had every advantage possible, ammo, powerful gun,armor ,and the elevation.

Hardest bosses in MP3 for me were those heavily-armored guys with the massive machine guns. You had to basically get lucky and hit them in the tiny face hole or just unload all of your ammo on them. I died so many fucking times on those guys, it was really frustrating.

I do like how MP3 will start to give you more painkillers on subsequent deaths so you don't get so frustrated you punch a hole through your monitor. :cool:

SHoot the armored guys in the head in Max Payne 3 only takes like 4 or 5 shots.
Shoot dodge wastes too much bullet time. I liked the way it was in Max Payne 2 better.

Do keybindings count? I get annoyed when I can't change them to what I want.

Any kind of cutscene that you can't skip. Sure I want to see it the first time but after that let me skip it. I really hate this with console RPGs. I've played some with 10+ minute intros and you usually can't just keep a save around like you can on a PC.

Enrage timers. This has got to be one of the biggest things I hate. They were a bad idea in MMORPGs, now they are creeping into regular games Just because the devs who actually created the game can take down a boss in one minute, doesn't mean I should be punished for not being able to do it. If I want to spend an hour in one battle trying to kill him, then that should be my choice.

Invulnerable enemies are bad too. They just scream poor game design.

Do keybindings count? I get annoyed when I can't change them to what I want.

I agree on this one....Like Skyrim, I had to download a mod in order to rebind the keys. This has become some what of an issue for me as a leftie. like binding keys to the keypad has become a huge no-no in lots of games (not just SP)

Surprise interactive cut-scenes.

You know the ones. After playing through a tough part of a game, you reach a "cut-scene", which lets you stretch your arms out to relax. But no; what you thought was merely a cut-scene is actually a stealth quick-time event requiring you to scramble to hit a key that's flashing on-screen! Or you suddenly need to steer a flying Isaac Clarke through the supposed "cut-scene" in order to dodge chunks of space debris... Dead Space 2 got with these a few times before I realized I could control Isaac during these scenes.

Protect helpless sidekick [...]

...who runs into walls constantly, gets stuck on everything, and runs so slow that you end up dying because he can't keep ahead of the infinitely spawning enemies behind you you're trying to run through

Unbalanced AI, your partners are no where near as capable as your enemies.

crappy endings

can deal with most other stuff but bad ending really do suck heh like ME3

The mission in Grand Theft Auto where you kill someone then the hotel you are in catches on fire and you only have a few minutes to get out. I never could beat that.

The mission in Grand Theft Auto where you kill someone then the hotel you are in catches on fire and you only have a few minutes to get out. I never could beat that.

I've played all of the GTA's, but for some reason I can't remember what you're referring to. I want to say Vice City, but I could be dead wrong. I remember a brothel or something being set on fire in that game.

Boss fights: nothing worse than plugging along having a good time in a game when everything grinds to a screeching halt while you spend the next 2 hours trying to figure out the appropriate pattern necessary to defeat this one boss.

Opening cut scenes that are way too long and you can't skip: After I've played the game all the way thru, why am I forced thru the 20 minute opening sequence of Crysis 2 again?

Checkpoints: nothing will piss you off more than spending 20 minutes negotiating thru all the obstacles and enemies of a level, one lucky shot and you go all the way back to the beginning.

For me its the Boss fights.....:mad:

I have always felt that... the last boss fight becomes so frustratingly difficult that i end up trying it for hours at a time and give up.. Finally manage it after a couple of days..... its satisfying once I complete the game but it just robs the enthusiasm out of the game.Completing those levels becomes a chore rather than enjoyment.I remember destroying some hardware[keyboards] in the process when I was younger.

I remember the car race level in MAFIA..... I think it took me a whole night to complete it.I replayed it last year and I think they patched it give an option to change the difficulty level just for that part[ good move AFAIAC]

I am presently on Max payne 3.. amazing game but I feel that I am against a bunch of heavily armored guys with solid fire power some times.. especially when I come across those guys with that automatic shotgun thing.. their armor is fucking impenetrable.The only thing that Max has on his side is the shoot dodge move.I hope the Final boss fight isn't too hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ion0GZFTNkE&feature=related
End of rant...

Fucking stupid kids getting angry over FPS games??? I don't get it.

Try losing everything in the old Ultima Online.... wanna talk about angry. You can't just respawn.

Bad friendly AI is the worst for me. An example is when your computer controlled teammates run into direct fire or block your path in an fps game. Bad hit detection or physics is also frustrating. If the cross hair is on the target it should register as a hit.

Checkpoints (w/o any other save option), lack of keybindings, QTEs, & Always Online DRM

Big Boss and trapped in a large circular room with no exits.
All mobs zerg straight for you the second you open the door.
An in-game cut scene triggers and it completely repositions your party and your stealthed Thief in the middle of the room surrounded by bad guys - Dragon Age origins.
Having all your gear removed and then given back and you have to remap your 1 - 8 keys again to the appropriate weapons/gear/items. - Fallout series.
Every FPSer "character" is nothing than a Souless arm with a gun...

Opening cut scenes that are way too long and you can't skip: After I've played the game all the way thru, why am I forced thru the 20 minute opening sequence of Crysis 2 again?

you should never play any of the Xenosaga games...

Losing game saves, every game on Steam should be Steam Cloud ready. Valve should enforce this rule because most of the games on there are not, there are so many games I never finish or stop playing because of losing my save games.

Invulnerable enemies are bad too. They just scream poor game design.

What? Depending on what your talking about, I disagree. Invulnerable in games such as SH2 and Dead Space where they are constantly chasing you until some requirement is met makes it incredibly tense knowing you can't kill something.

-----------------------

I don't mind checkpoints. I hate checkpoints that don't happen after a cinematic or immediately after a tough battle/boss.

under water levels in Super Mario Brothers, while I managed to get through them I had a hard time with the momentum of his swimming.

Back