Most Depressing Games

For me it's always the games that make you feel completely isolated. Wandering the Von Braun, piecing together what happened to all of the crew members. Granted you have "Polito" talking to you on occasion, but you're basically completely alone on a drifting space craft.

The Avatar in Pagan. You're in a strange world surrounded by people who don't trust you, many want you dead, and you have to basically destroy their whole way of life in order to get back to your own world.

Veil of Darkness you're an outsider in a small Romania-esque mountain village after your plane crashes. All of the citizens are downtrodden and controlled by the local alpha-vampire (if that's what you call the head vampire :D )

It things like this that REALLY pull me into a game. There are other games that have a similar setting, but without the distrust of citizens, mystery, isolation, etc. they have a slightly different impact on me. They put my brain on edge less, and I get into a different mental state. I'm guessing Wasteland 2 would be a good fit for me. I'm thinking of trying it out soon.

Mmmmm, I share your sadism actually. For me, it depends on how it's handled. Some things just genuinely depress me and I want to turn away. But some seem to have a paradoxically positive effect on me. The Walking Dead game and TV series is great at this.

Gamewise, I'd say either Final Fantasy 7 or the second half of FF6. Hugely dystopian and very little positivity to be found in the game. But, just seems to work.

Getting an auto-notify e-mail from Newegg stating the Asus GTX 970 I want is in stock, clicking the Add To Cart button to snag it only to be greeted with a mocking OUT OF STOCK message because some other loser bastard was faster with his mouse than me...

I thought bioshock infinite burial at sea part 2 was pretty sad at the end :(

It may have been mentioned, but Bastion is pretty depressing, at least many aspects of it are.

Spoilers for this? I am curious as to what options or scenarios are available within it.

Edit: Getting an MBA and then having people tell you that you should have gotten an engineering or a computer science degree and then finding out that only available jobs are $37k/yr.. and now you've added a $400/mo school loan to pay back for the next decade. Sweet.

Last edited:
Not the most depressing but one game that stands out recently as leaving me pretty depressed when I beat it was the new wolfenstein game. It's generally a very hopeless story with decent character building. The ending is depressing as shit, and the characters you loose along the way is pretty depressing as well.

I forgot about veil of darkness. That's a great old school SSI game. I may boot this one up for halloween.

Suikoden 1 and 2
FF X
FF Tactics
Valkyrie Profile
The Darkness
Warhawk - That acting was very depressing, I cried.(PS1)
Phelios
Alien 3

Last edited:
I'd say ME3. been playing it recently to learn all the new DLCs I never played before. From the simple NPC banter - like the kid in refugee area talking about the guard, that she will soon see her parents, as they will come with next shuttle. or qests to just bring the last letters to partners.

And speaking not of the important NPCs - Mordin riding the elewator up on Tuchanka mentioning the seashells. Or if you go renegade path and you have to kill him, to stop him from spreading the cure, and then you have to shoot Wrex much later on Citadel. Or even seeing what Cerberus isdoing in Sanctuary to all the people that htought, they found safe heaven.

Bioware, IMO, created the perfect feeling of last days of the civilisation. On one side people are dying, you have to sometime kill your friend, "for the war effort", and on other side you see that desperation in Citadel.

Assassin's Creed 3
--------------------------
The protagonist watches his mother die before his eyes as a child, has to kill his best friend and then father. His village is lost to encroaching European settlers as they move West. He sees that even though he helped to fight for American independence, that there is still a great deal of unequality, injustice, slavery, marginization of anyone not white European.

He doesn't even get a love interest like the protagonists of ACI and ACII did. Poor guy.

Assassin's Creed 3
--------------------------
The protagonist watches his mother die before his eyes as a child, has to kill his best friend and then father. His village is lost to encroaching European settlers as they move West. He sees that even though he helped to fight for American independence, that there is still a great deal of unequality, injustice, slavery, marginization of anyone not white European.

He doesn't even get a love interest like the protagonists of ACI and ACII did. Poor guy.

You might want to wrap that shit up in a spoiler tag.

Mass Effect 3 was prettty depressing, especially wandering in the cargo bay and listening to stories in the hospital. Also when you last speak to your LI in london before the final battle.

The ending was just meh, not depressing.

System Shock 2, can be depressing at tmes, especially listening to those audio logs.

Bioshock Infinite wasn't depressing it was utterly frustrating for me, to find out that all was for nothing.

DeusEx: Human Revolution is depressing together with Invisible War.

Beyond: Two Souls is the most depressing game I've seen, and Last of Us is quite up there with it too.

Back