Most comfortable headphones?

Kaizer

Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
737
As the title says.. im looking for COMFORT. Im 75% deaf in one ear.. so.. the sound quality isnt a huge deal for me. At the same time I dont want them to sound like crap in my one good ear. Around the ear type would be good so my ears wont get sore. My main use for them will be gaming, however ill plug them into my Zune from time to time.

Im looking to spend up to 200.. maybe a bit more if theres something close to that.

P.S. Im aware there are many headphone threads.. but im not sure any of them focus on comfort.
 
Mine are padded and completely go AROUND the ear and don't rest on the ear, but they are on the cheap side(Sennheiser HD485s)Chances are $200 pair will need an amp to drive it.
 
Hrm.. I saw a pair of HD595's for about 159 on ebay. Those go completely around the ear as well? Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Some websites describe them as an on ear type..

Cant say I want to use an amp.. but may look into getting one if there is one that can amplify one channel more than another... to make up for the bum ear.
 
Audio-Technica phones are very comfortable. My A900s were much better than the Sennheiser HD595s I had in that regard. The HD555s were better than the 595s (mostly because they were a bit bigger). I should be getting my HD580s shortly and they're known to be pretty comfy I believe. I think AKG's are fairly comfortable. Beyer's should be too, although I think some people feel they clamp a little to strongly.

I'd personally recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s, followed by the Beyer DT-770.
 
The Beyers and Sennheisers mentioned above are both pretty comfortable but I think the AKG K601 and K701s are more comfortable.
But they are huge.
 
Hrm.. I can deal with huge.. as long as they are comfy :) Im not trying to impress anyone with their looks :) I got a big head anyway.
 
Where can I get the best price for the Beyerdynamics? There doesnt seem to be very many vendors.
 
Sennheiser HD497s here, been using them for years for hours at a time with no problems other than hot ears in summer :)
 
Sennheiser HD497s here, been using them for years for hours at a time with no problems other than hot ears in summer :)

I've had them, and turst me, there are many headphones that are just so much more comfy than the HD497 :)shudder:)
 
Where can I get the best price for the Beyerdynamics? There doesnt seem to be very many vendors.

There used to be a reputable guy on e-bay that sold the DT770pro 80ohm for like, 140$, you can check there.

There are other places too who sell different ones. You may want to look at the new DT880 or DT990 too as well (they sound different, so figgure out which you think you would prefer).
 
Audio-Technica phones are very comfortable. My A900s were much better than the Sennheiser HD595s I had in that regard. The HD555s were better than the 595s (mostly because they were a bit bigger). I should be getting my HD580s shortly and they're known to be pretty comfy I believe. I think AKG's are fairly comfortable. Beyer's should be too, although I think some people feel they clamp a little to strongly.

I'd personally recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s, followed by the Beyer DT-770.

Just as a heads up, some people don't find the "always variable hight adjustment" on those headphones to be as comfy as fixed headbands. Though, the K701 is by far the best variable headband I have used, but I still prefer a good fixed one.

Haha, I read your post, and you said you will be getting the HD580................ you think beyers have clamp force......... hahahahahahahahhaha, wait till you get the HD580 (AKA vice grip).
 
There used to be a reputable guy on e-bay that sold the DT770pro 80ohm for like, 140$, you can check there.

There are other places too who sell different ones. You may want to look at the new DT880 or DT990 too as well (they sound different, so figgure out which you think you would prefer).
Thanks.. I had looked there earlier.. but for what ever reason I didnt see the guy selling them for that. I searched again and oddly enough there it was.

Ive used that type of headstrap thing before.. its ok.. I didnt really have a preference of one over the other. Im thinking im going to try these Beyer's out. After trying them out for a bit I might just have to breakdown and send them off to that headphile guy for some lovin :)

Now to find a cheap amp that has some balance / or separate left and right volumes. :)
 
Haha, I read your post, and you said you will be getting the HD580................ you think beyers have clamp force......... hahahahahahahahhaha, wait till you get the HD580 (AKA vice grip).

I can only talk about the HD600 which I assume have the same clamping force of the 580 and 650, but while the first week was almost unbearable and my jaw hurted after using them, once they loosened they are are as comfortable as a pair of headphones their weigth can get.
 
My vote goes to Audio Technica A5/7/900. They are very light, and have a loose clamp. Out of all the cans I own, they are my favorite for gaming, and the most comfortable.
 
Here's another vote for the A900's, they're very comfy. Only downside is I can really break a sweat inside them on hot summer days, but I guess that would happen with any around the ear closed headphones.
 
i use these
reallybigheadphones.jpg


i like the extra cushion on my ears, as u can see :cool:
 
/snip ...K701s are more comfortable.
Really? I have to say I don't find mine particularly comfortable. I find the so called padding on the leather headband rather hard. They're fine initially but after an hour or so I start to notice it.
 
Hopefully that ebay guy ships them fast.. i hope to have them in my hands by next week. came out to 153 shipped. the price may be good.. but he charges a crazy amount for shipping. Oh well. Still a better price than I saw anywhere else.

Ill miss my old JVC headphones.. they still sound awesome.
 
Hrm.. I saw a pair of HD595's for about 159 on ebay. Those go completely around the ear as well? Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Some websites describe them as an on ear type..

Cant say I want to use an amp.. but may look into getting one if there is one that can amplify one channel more than another... to make up for the bum ear.

I have Sennheiser HD595's and I have big ears too. They go completely around the ear (circumaural) and are very comfortable.
 
Comfort:
HE90 > HE60 > HD650/HD580 > AKG K-1000 > Stax Omega II > AKG K-701 > Sony SA5000 > Sony CD3000 > ATH-L3000 > Grado RS-1 > Grado HP-2 > AKG K81DJ > iGrado.

All IMO, of course..

But in the $200 and less range, the HD580 is the comfiest I've owned.
 
Just as a heads up, some people don't find the "always variable hight adjustment" on those headphones to be as comfy as fixed headbands. Though, the K701 is by far the best variable headband I have used, but I still prefer a good fixed one.

Haha, I read your post, and you said you will be getting the HD580................ you think beyers have clamp force......... hahahahahahahahhaha, wait till you get the HD580 (AKA vice grip).

Ah, thanks for the added info. I really don't have personal experience with the AKG's (I'd wish I did though). I remember looking at the Audio-Technicas and wondering how you'd even wear them, and so I wasn't even going to use them but I got a good deal on a set so I figured why not and then it turned out that loved them.

I listened to the HD580s last night. They actually sound pretty similar to my A900s only a lot more shrill (which I'm guessing burning them in, getting the HD650 cables, and probably better amplification would help remedy). As for comfort, I found them to be not bad at all. They do clamp, but I've never really found that to be uncomfortable (including the HD555 and HD595), just different, I guess I have a nice thick skull.
 
10 points for anyone who can actually find the headphones in that picture.
:p

The headphones pictured are SONY MDR-V700DJ and are very good studio quality headphones, but more aimed towards the DJ since the individual cups fold out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700DJ-Style-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001W0DH

I personally prefer the Sony MDR-V6's which are extremely comfortable and a bit lighter than the MDR-v700's. (Check out the excellent reviews)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-M...r_1/002-8056423-9608835?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Pay attention and you will see the V6's on TV all the time, anywhere from studio shots of the camera man, sound guy, producer, ect.

I notice them all the time since I have owned the same pair for the last 5 years.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hrm.. I saw a pair of HD595's for about 159 on ebay. Those go completely around the ear as well? Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Some websites describe them as an on ear type..

Cant say I want to use an amp.. but may look into getting one if there is one that can amplify one channel more than another... to make up for the bum ear.

Sennheisers are by FAR my fav headphones not only for the sound q but also for comfort. the hd595s go over your ears and have a very nice padding thats soft on the cans itself and on top. i got mine on ebay too for about 155 shipped, was a good deal and i'm more than happy with them
 
The headphones pictured are SONY MDR-V700DJ and are very good studio quality headphones, but more aimed towards the DJ since the individual cups fold out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700DJ-Style-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001W0DH

I had a pair of the V600DJ and they made my ears very sore after about an hour of use. They don't go around the ears like my HD595 and press against the ear. I do not recommend them at all if you are looking for comfort. For comfort in full size headphones you need circumaural.
I ended up giving the V600DJ's away.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have used the DT770s and I really didn't like them comfort-wise. I actually switched back to the HD555s because I found them so uncomfortable. For one thing, the cans are absolutely huge. They will interfere with your jaw when you talk or open your mouth and they go well over an inch off to the sides of your ears. The closed design annoyed the crap out of me as well. They felt like suction cups over my ears, like if I pressed them in I could suck my brains out of my ears. The air inside of them just gets muggy and humid and it bothered the everliving out of me. They were also a bit tighter clamping wise than the HD555s. The pads actually touch when they aren't on your head while the HD555 pads don't even come close (and both are fairly new).
 
my most comfy cans are the HD600's, I've really wanted to try the Beyer 880/990 series for a long time but just haven't put out the $300 to do it.
 
I had a pair of the V600DJ and they made my ears very sore after about an hour of use. They don't go around the ears like my HD595 and press against the ear. I do not recommend them at all if you are looking for comfort. For comfort in full size headphones you need circumaural.
I ended up giving the V600DJ's away.

The regular mdr-v6 are very comfortable for me, and there is no DJ anything on them.

I did google the V600DJ and that is not what I have.

Just FYI
 
Back
Top