More Windows 10 update fail

pretty disgusting if you ask me. remind me again why they killed off win7 and forced everyone to update to win10?!
Telemetry, aka spyware, aka stealing everyone's personal data (usage, products, etc.), aka selling it on the market, aka big data, aka big profits.
Android OS does this as well, but at a small fraction compared to Windows 10.

Outside of the telemetry and broken/bad updates, Windows 10 itself is actually the best incarnation of Windows on the market.
The 1984 aspect of it is pretty shitty, though, at least out-of-the-box without 3rd party fixes to reduce or remove it externally.

It's the russian roulette nature of W10 updates on the whole that's most troubling. The anecdotal "I didn't have a problem personally" or "my laptop at work needed a re-image after the update" only highlight the inconsistency.

At least they stopped pushing the semi-annual, in-place full reinstalls (aka "feature update") and have focused on just patching.

Yup, I don't backup my one daily win10 laptop as I'm not too worried or upset if it gets borked. It serves as a warning system I suppose. Sad fact is, with win10 you really need to have frequent backups and preferably ones done before an update.

Yup, I don't backup my one daily win10 laptop as I'm not too worried or upset if it gets borked. It serves as a warning system I suppose. Sad fact is, with win10 you really need to have frequent backups and preferably ones done before an update.
Isn't that how we should be doing things anyway? I know I back up every week. I can't remember the last time I needed one, but I've got it.
I did have an issue with BSOD recently, but I just applied an old feature update to windows - I've always got 1 or 2 of those, because I forget they're out there - and it fixed it, whithout me trying to find the most recent backup that fixes the issue.

But regardless, I backup every week, cuz ya never know when something is going to fail (s/w or h/w)

I love how people complain about monthly Windows updates but never about the almost daily updates that Linux systems receive.

I love how people complain about monthly Windows updates but never about the almost daily updates that Linux systems receive.

Why would you? Can you describe how many times this has deleted files, destroyed config data, caused the host to cease to operate? Not to mention that it's orders of magnitude faster than Windows update and you almost never have to reboot.

I had some crazy issues with the latest update doing something with my GPU drivers.. I don't know.. I couldn't explain it.. System would start to lag hardcore and just BSOD.. random times during gaming.. Tried reverting back, updating drivers... no dice.. Ended up wiping the system(no biggie.. it's strictly a gaming PC), and since then has been rock solid.. I don't understand what happened lol

The big difference for me is that I can update linux when I want and with what I want, typically once it's known to be a stable release. Windows just tells me what to do, and this update genuinely did make my PC go utterly haywire. Couldn't even start booting without my speakers screaming it me before going straight to a BSOD.

I only use windows for gaming and nothing else, so I'd like to invest a few minutes/hours into finding a way to completely break windows update so it just plain doesn't update anymore.

I had some crazy issues with the latest update doing something with my GPU drivers.. I don't know.. I couldn't explain it.. System would start to lag hardcore and just BSOD.. random times during gaming.. Tried reverting back, updating drivers... no dice.. Ended up wiping the system(no biggie.. it's strictly a gaming PC), and since then has been rock solid.. I don't understand what happened lol
navi card? my 5700 drivers got updated during the last insider preview update and were flaking out until i reloaded the amd ones.

navi card? my 5700 drivers got updated during the last insider preview update and were flaking out until i reloaded the amd ones.

Yeah, I pretty much stay away from the Insider Previews now. I have the latest build for 2004 installed but, only that and it is supposed to be the RTM build, anyways. Last time I did the fast builds, I screwed up, not realizing that it was on the skip ahead at that point and I had already deleted my fall back position. :D Ended up wiping and redoing from scratch on all 3 of my systems because of that. (Just was not paying close attention.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I pretty much stay away from the Insider Previews now. I have the latest build for 2004 installed but, only that and it is supposed to be the RTM build, anyways. Last time I did the fast builds, I screwed up, not realizing that it was on the skip ahead at that point and I had already deleted by fall back position. :D Ended up wiping and redoing from scratch on all 3 of my systems because of that. (Just was not paying close attention.)
this was the first time in idk how long that it touched the gpu driver and have only ever had one other issue with a fast ring build. maybe i need to run ddu and disable driver updates again.

Windows just seem to work for me over the last year at least (or more) No update trouble, no crashes, nothing. (my laptop included) Seems like for a few weeks there the windows search was non-functional, but a patch soon after got it back working again. I keep image backups as well, but cant remember the last time i had to reload one. I'm always thinking of dual booting, but i seriously cant find a practical reason to. (fix whats not broken right)

Yup. Glad to see I am not the only one lol
happened again last night. so i ran ddu and the "disable windows drivers updates" wasnt selected, re-enabled it and let it run then back with the amd drivers. hopefully that stops it now.

Back