• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

More than one z5500 version?

Paxonator

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
102
Okay i have just recieved my logitech z5500 speakers (back from rma). First thing i notice is that there is the wire jacks in the back, not the rca plugs i see in all the pictures. Second thing is i don't seem to have the "boost" feature. The sub is pretty much almost non-existant for bass as compared to my hd-650's. Tried three different sources (dvd player, xbox, emu 0404) computer sounds the best so far. So the question is where's the bass and does anyone else have a version like me?
 
Do you have the exact model number from each "speaker package"
Maybe they sent you a newer or older version?
 
Paxonator said:
It says Logitech Z-5500 Digital on the box and as well on the manual.

you aren't the first to mention the speaker connector change here, but you are definately the first to say the sub has no bass.
 
I had the z-680's before and those had tons of bass pretty much to much. And now these have very very little which struck me as odd.
 
Paxonator said:
I had the z-680's before and those had tons of bass pretty much to much. And now these have very very little which struck me as odd.

so did you poke around through the controller settings and see if something was messed up?
or maybe your sound card isn't switching to 5.1 in the control panel. the digital in from the xbox spdif or the dvd player should definately make the sub go, is the controller switching modes pcm:dts:dd ?
 
Ya i've turned the bass all the way up on the control pod and it just makes it sound bad. I've just recently aquired the emu 0404 so i've got a lot of playing around to do in patchmix. I'ts much more advanced. I might try tossing my audigy 2 back in as secondary again to see if that helps.
 
i just got my z-5500 a couple weeks ago. must be same as you. the cords are seprate from the speakers. it puts out alot of bass for me. maybe just because my old speakers were the z640s.

i lost one of the wires within 10 min of opening the box and had to cut one into 2 =\
 
The Wires are seprate from the speakers? Mine arent :-\ And mine bass and some. I have it turned down to almost 2 bars :-\ and it still has more bass than my old 640's.
 
Paxonator said:
Okay i have just recieved my logitech z5500 speakers (back from rma). First thing i notice is that there is the wire jacks in the back, not the rca plugs i see in all the pictures. Second thing is i don't seem to have the "boost" feature. The sub is pretty much almost non-existant for bass as compared to my hd-650's. Tried three different sources (dvd player, xbox, emu 0404) computer sounds the best so far. So the question is where's the bass and does anyone else have a version like me?


Yeah, I am having the same issue as you and this is the replacement that I have gotten from Logitech, too.
 
chizu said:
Yeah, I am having the same issue as you and this is the replacement that I have gotten from Logitech, too.

I think i'm going to give logitech a call on monday and ask what's going on. I showed my friend and he had the same impression. So hopefully they'll have some answers and i can update the thread.
 
Paxonator said:
I think i'm going to give logitech a call on monday and ask what's going on. I showed my friend and he had the same impression. So hopefully they'll have some answers and i can update the thread.

How well is your headphone plug work? When I plugged my headphone(HD497) in, it's not as loud as I expected.

Edit: To answer your prior message, yes, I do have the version that you're speaking of.

Edit: I sincerely apologize regarding the mislead of Z 5500 bass. I just realized that I didn't adjust the Graphic Equalizer and what I have said above are all true.
 
Paxonator said:
Okay i have just recieved my logitech z5500 speakers (back from rma). First thing i notice is that there is the wire jacks in the back, not the rca plugs i see in all the pictures. Second thing is i don't seem to have the "boost" feature. The sub is pretty much almost non-existant for bass as compared to my hd-650's. Tried three different sources (dvd player, xbox, emu 0404) computer sounds the best so far. So the question is where's the bass and does anyone else have a version like me?

are you talking about Sennheiser HD650's? Aren't those "open air" headphones? I can't imagine they have more bass than the Z5500's.
 
magnetik said:
are you talking about Sennheiser HD650's? Aren't those "open air" headphones? I can't imagine they have more bass than the Z5500's.

Yup the Sennheiser hd-650's. Surprisingly enough the bass is almost equal between the two. Which is why i made the thread. Those speakers should have like 10x more bass. But i guess having a lot less bass which is more controlled isn't a bad thing :p.
 
Paxonator said:
Yup the Sennheiser hd-650's. Surprisingly enough the bass is almost equal between the two. Which is why i made the thread. Those speakers should have like 10x more bass. But i guess having a lot less bass which is more controlled isn't a bad thing :p.

A headphone's tranducer sits within an inch of you eardrum.. it not really very to hard to reproduce sound at such a limited distance. Most conventional speakers are measured at a 1 meter distance from the calibrated mike(s). for example a speaker measured to have a 96db sensitivity at 1000hz-1watt-1meter would probably deafen you if it were within the same range as a headphone. your comparison isn't just apples to oranges it's grapes to watermelons.

A better comparator would be attempting to match your average listening volume on a specific track so that the headphones and the external speakers were approximately the same and then switch through a few different source tracks to make comparisons.
 
hamm3rhead said:
A headphone's tranducer sits within an inch of you eardrum.. it not really very to hard to reproduce sound at such a limited distance. Most conventional speakers are measured at a 1 meter distance from the calibrated mike(s). for example a speaker measured to have a 96db sensitivity at 1000hz-1watt-1meter would probably deafen you if it were within the same range as a headphone. your comparison isn't just apples to oranges it's grapes to watermelons.

A better comparator would be attempting to match your average listening volume on a specific track so that the headphones and the external speakers were approximately the same and then switch through a few different source tracks to make comparisons.

Ya it was mostly just for a generalization. A better example would be comparing them to the z680's they replaced which if i wanted to i could shake the cuboards upstairs. The z5500's compared to my older z-680's seem to have very little bass. Sorry for the bad example lol.
 
Paxonator said:
Ya it was mostly just for a generalization. A better example would be comparing them to the z680's they replaced which if i wanted to i could shake the cuboards upstairs. The z5500's compared to my older z-680's seem to have very little bass. Sorry for the bad example lol.

for shits and giggles I was just playing the dvd-a version of metallicas black album at 103 decibels.. but my 5500 is the rca style.
 
I've only had a chance to call logitech when I was at work. But the general consensus was that I would have to send them away again. I spoke to two different people first a woman who didn't sound happy to be alive at all. And although explaining to her that I have tried them through my Xbox and DVD player still insisted there was something wrong with my soundcard :rolleyes: . Then a man who was more willing to help out. I'll need to call back with the speakers in front of me though. I really don't want to send them back again.
 
Paxonator said:
I've only had a chance to call logitech when I was at work. But the general consensus was that I would have to send them away again. I spoke to two different people first a woman who didn't sound happy to be alive at all. And although explaining to her that I have tried them through my Xbox and DVD player still insisted there was something wrong with my soundcard :rolleyes: . Then a man who was more willing to help out. I'll need to call back with the speakers in front of me though. I really don't want to send them back again.

Yes, sending them back is a pain in the ass. It took them freaking 3 months to fullfil my replacement. I know they have them in stock but they insist on sending them out.
 
Back
Top