More Swiftech Cheapness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
As predicted by many the new MCW60 has just as bad of a milling job as the Apogee. I found a pic of one that someone just got here:
http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542

This pic is HUGE, so im not gonna post the picture itself, but here is the url.
http://cryo-laboratory.com/upload/userfiles/rhino56/frontpage/waterblockswiftech.jpg

http://cryo-laboratory.com/upload/userfiles/rhino56/frontpage/waterblockswiftech1.jpg

Of course he found some shavings and broken pins.

Now for their new MCW30. Here is where i found the info.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88878

This is just sad. NO, you are not looking at the bottom, that is the internal. Its nothing but a flat plate of copper.
IMG_0022.jpg

I dunno what to say about their new products, just, what the heck happened to quality?

I'm wondering now if I should just remove my swiftech gpu block now from my order. I'm planning on paying in the next hour.

You do realize that you dont NEED any fins to cool a chipset right? Therefore the less restriction the better. Although some dimples or something like what is in the STASIS 7800 block wouldn't hurt.

my MCW55 works great and they are now on sale for around $37 at jabtech last time i checked. The MCW60 prolly performs well, but id just recommend to open it up and go over it and look for shavings and debris.

They could still have put a little more effort into it to increase surface area. Seems like laziness in my opinion. As for the MCW60, i think its sad that they made a bid deal on advertisement that they are bead blasted to remove any shavings or loose debris yet they are showing up anyway.

has anyone tested the MCW30 first hand and know the temps that it gets? how does it perform?

There is going down hill... then there is jumping off a cliff.

Swiftech did the cliff one.

Temps? Performance? Dont diss it until you see results. If stock can do better, then its a POC. If it gets decent temps, well then...

DangerIsGo said:
Temps? Performance? Dont diss it until you see results. If stock can do better, then its a POC. If it gets decent temps, well then...
look, i'm about as performance-oriented as anyone who posts regularly in this sub-forum.

that block looks like crap. it's poorly made and poorly optimized for cooling. it is amazingly well optimized for cheap production. what is it that end users are looking for?

there are any number of other designs available that can do better. i don't need numbers to evaluate a flat plate of copper. if you have even a halfway decent pump: a block with some fins will perform better than a flat plate.

i've said it before and i'll say it again: the new swiftech blocks are sacrificing quality in the name of cheaper labour and the tooling that is available at the overseas shop that they are now using for theif production.

they COULD build fine blocks over there, but that would interfere with their bottom line, so they're not going to do it.

When Swiftech wen't public it was preordained that quality was going to take a major dump. To be a public company you either have to figure out how to sell a lot more or cheapen your product to keep showing a profit. Otherwise your stockholders will fire you and get someone else who can get the job done. With the market going to smaller tubes and higher technology water cooling (which Swiftech hasn't so far been able to do) it has gotten much more difficult for them to sell more.

IMHO Swiftech bought up the G4 design so that they could use the market awareness for the distinctive style of it to launch a whole new series of products that had the same look. Now we have had several "new style" blocks that are still trading on the G4 look, but are abortions on the inside....all show and no go. :p

So does anyone have this block and able to tell us temps? What are your guys opinions on the best chipset block?

DangerIsGo said:
So does anyone have this block and able to tell us temps? What are your guys opinions on the best chipset block?

You might want to look at the new block DangerDen just released for the DFI Expert

Yeah I noticed that now. How well do the danger dens perform as far as temps go? Are they restrictive or no? I figured this one is about the same thing as the regular danger den maze4 chipset block just molded a little differently to fit on the expert board. what do you guys think?

All for the low, low price of $29.95! Honestly now, charging $20 would be pushing it for what you're getting.
DFI Daishi said:
look, i'm about as performance-oriented as anyone who posts regularly in this sub-forum.

that block looks like crap. it's poorly made and poorly optimized for cooling. it is amazingly well optimized for cheap production. what is it that end users are looking for?

there are any number of other designs available that can do better. i don't need numbers to evaluate a flat plate of copper. if you have even a halfway decent pump: a block with some fins will perform better than a flat plate.

i've said it before and i'll say it again: the new swiftech blocks are sacrificing quality in the name of cheaper labour and the tooling that is available at the overseas shop that they are now using for theif production.

they COULD build fine blocks over there, but that would interfere with their bottom line, so they're not going to do it.

i am not defending swiftech here but it sure looks like that thing would not hamper flow much. if all you care about is getting rid of that stupid fan and not burning your board up this should work fine. i agree that it shouldnt be more than $19.99 but it also should come down. i mean how long can it take to recoup tooling costs on that LOL

Ok lets ask this, my chipset gets around 50C w/ stock fan (not sure how it is w/ load during games) but that is idle right after boot up. If there is just a plate w/ no pins, what kind of temps should I expect? How do the DD's maze4's perform? what about any other manufacturers? It seems swiftech is going from 'Made in the USA' to 'Designed in the USA' crap made overseas (as we already discussed). Which is why I just purchased a Stasis Neptune block rather than the cheapass MCW60 GPU block. I like my Apogee as much as the next person, and im glad its less restrictive than the storm and a little cheaper, but cmon already, put the quality control into your stuff before you turn into a common name brand like thermaltake or the such. Sure thermaltake is good, but its just another name brand. When I looked to swiftech in previous years, I associated the name w/ quality and performance, now I associate the name with foreign and cheap crap. Im just still curious as the temps of the MCW30 if anyones actually bought it. When I see all of swiftechs thermoelectric products on their site, I see 'Made in USA'. With the liquid cooling section, its half and half 'Made' and 'Designed'. The only reason I got the apex ultra instead of the extreme was becuase i got a deal for $60 off and it was available, the extreme was getting sold out and is now basically gone (even though the only thing different between the extreme and ultra was the CPU block). I wish swiftech would go for quality again. :(

Swiftech:

Imported radiators...

Imported waterblocks...

Imported pumps...

Imported fittings...

So what's the reason to buy from an American company like Swiftech???

At least when you buy German goods as in: Aqua Computer, Innovatek, or Alphacool gear you get quality built goods. They also look good and have 2 year warranties. :D

i see that you like to glorify German Watercooling. fair enough, dont mind me then. Dangerden FTW :eek:

Top Nurse said:
Swiftech:

Imported radiators...

Imported waterblocks...

Imported pumps...

Imported fittings...

At least when you buy German goods as in: Aqua Computer, Innovatek, or Alphacool gear you get quality built goods. They also look good and have 2 year warranties. :D

Liquid_Cooled said:
i see that you like to glorify German Watercooling. fair enough, dont mind me then. Dangerden FTW :eek:

DD makes good stuff too and since they went to BSPP threads I am more inclined to buy from them as well.

I have that Swiftech block. Once I get it set up, i'll report on its performance.

Top Nurse said:
DD makes good stuff too and since they went to BSPP threads I am more inclined to buy from them as well.

I just wish DD would come out with an improved CPU block :(

i wonder what the next best block design will be. cathar seems to always come up with a better design each time, then the watercooling companies copy him or buy his idea. i havent heard of any of his new designs, so maybe the storm and G5 ideas are about as itll ever get :confused:

Liquid_Cooled said:
i wonder what the next best block design will be. cathar seems to always come up with a better design each time, then the watercooling companies copy him or buy his idea. i havent heard of any of his new designs, so maybe the storm and G5 ideas are about as itll ever get :confused:
the G7 is about as far as things are going to go until someone brings new equipment to the table. either new super-pumps or better machines to build the blocks with.

i suppose that exotic high heat transfer materials might come down in price, but most of those are patented so........

it'll be interesting to see if cathar's inline pelt chiller sees the light of day.

i dont think anything is gonna really surpass the Storm blocks anytime soon. Swiftech IMO WAS selling good parts up until just recently. The MCR220 is still a great rad, and the MCP655 (D5) is one of the best pumps on the market. Its just that they now find a cheap base design (Apogee Pin Design) and they wanna put it on EVERYTHING as if its the best thing since sliced bread. Now, if these blocks were shaving free and beautifully crafted to excellent quality i wouldnt see much of a problem, but they arent, they are made poorly. And then to keep on implementing that design in everyting is making all of their blocks poor quality. Besides their new blocks i give them a thumbs up. I hope they rethink their block desicions though cuz the Apogee design aint gonna cut it for us performance hungry users. The MCW30, i just looked at it and said "You've gotta be shittin' me!"

Budwise said:
The MCW30, i just looked at it and said "You've gotta be shittin' me!"
Not to mention that they could have/ should have made it low profile to fit those SLI mobos that have the cards over the chipset, hell look at the thing it's mostly open space anyways. Seriously, they should be charging around $15 for it at the most.

Yes, now if they made a 1/2" barbed chipset block that would work with the DFI boards then i would pay $15... Shipped... :)

im a CNC machine shop manager, and i can honestly tell you 2 people 2 machines and about 200$ of cutters can make this block complete at a rate about 2000/week. so i think it could be cheaper

Glad I decided not to buy any Swiftech stuff even though their operations are just across town. :p

Top Nurse said:
Swiftech:

Imported radiators...

Imported waterblocks...

Imported pumps...

Imported fittings...

One word.... performance and no... not looks.

As the owner of Swiftech products, not the MCW30 specifically, but others, I can attest that they have excellent packaging and quality control. As far as I know, the purpose of the MCW30 is to eliminate the NB fan and not hamper flow. A flat base does an excellent job at this, an if the machining of the internal face is less than flat, that is even better, as it increases surface turbulance, promoting better heat transfer. Not everything has to be an overpriced, highly restrictive piece of german wundercobbel. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Top Nurse said:
When Swiftech wen't public it was preordained that quality was going to take a major dump. To be a public company you either have to figure out how to sell a lot more or cheapen your product to keep showing a profit. Otherwise your stockholders will fire you and get someone else who can get the job done. With the market going to smaller tubes and higher technology water cooling (which Swiftech hasn't so far been able to do) it has gotten much more difficult for them to sell more.

IMHO Swiftech bought up the G4 design so that they could use the market awareness for the distinctive style of it to launch a whole new series of products that had the same look. Now we have had several "new style" blocks that are still trading on the G4 look, but are abortions on the inside....all show and no go. :p

Very well put top nurse. Quality for many companies is a Shame at best. But I have to say the quality of the Storm block is very good.

Whats more disturbing to me however is the idea that pointing out one companies flaws can and does hurt that company.

I could tell you some stories about low quality from Good companies but whats the point unless I had a hidden agenda.

If you believe everthing you read on the net thats sad. Than there is the problem of reading comperhension itself. 10 people can read the same sentance and come up with 10 differanent meanings for said sentance.

This is off topic but a very recent Thread here about AEG had 241 replies and most were good. The thing I found hard to believe in that thread topic wasn't the replies at all .
But the number off views 11,000+ and 241 replies . Very interesting and that makes me wonder about quality control.

Back on topic . To trash a topic because of user feed back is questionable at best .

The product in Question seems to be fairly priced and we don't no if the poster may have motives were not aware of.

So when we talk about quality issues keep in mind that all companies have these problems. Doesn,t everyone remove there tops to check for debries?

These waterblocks for GPU cards that cool both the core and memory there nice but someone buys one and it doesn't perform right is it because the product was of poor quality ?

Or was it because the placement of the Core and memory on the card was out of spec.

Or was it because the user didn't have a clue.

So slaming a whole companies product because of user input is subjective at best.

I have read 1000's of reviews on Gpu' cpu's and other hardware but if I thought for 1 second my results would be the same as the reviewers there's a lot of products I wouldn't buy based on those reviews. Were all human and there are many things that motavate differant people . The internet is a source for information but if your looking for the trueth best look somewere else

Liquid_Cooled said:

There really isn't anything new about this design but the impletation for use with PC waterblocks is new .

Being a expert in the field of hydralics I can safetly say nothing new here.

I'm an equal opportunity reporter of what's good and what's not so good. And trust me when I say I have really taken Aqua Computer and other firms to task about what I perceived as a serious lack of attentiveness to QC and detail. :D

Pooky said:
While everyone continually equates German to mean "crap" in performance, have you seen Overclockers review of an Alphacool kit?

People dis German watercooling gear because they can't afford it, can't get it for one reason or another, or have an ethnocentric view that all things foreign are shit. ;) However, if you take a Swiftech sticker and put it on a foreign watercooling item then everyone thinks it's great. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back