• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

More RAM or Raptor HD??

PlaneCrazy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
501
My system:

Asus A8N-SLI
EVGA 7800GT
1gb (512x2) PC 3200 Crucial Ballistix RAM
A64 3700+ San Diego
60gb/8mb HD has Windows, and most apps
250gb/8mb has vids, music, and game installs


I have a $75 gift certificate for NewEgg which means another set of 512mb's will cost me about $30, and a 75gb Raptor will cost me about $80.

Which will get me the best performance increase? Best bang for the buck?

This machine is pretty much gaming only, BF2 mostly.

Thanks
 
Generally speaking, the hard drive isn't going to do a thing for your gaming performance. The levels may load a tick faster or so with the Raptor, but that will do nothing for the in game performance. If I was confined to just those two choices, I'd go with the memory.
 
[LYL]Homer said:
How about buy yourself a new game or two, your specs seem fine.

There's not really any games out that I want. I have most of the newer ones, and really 98% of my gaming is BF2. It pretty much owns me right about now :)

I forgot to mention - if maybe there's something else that will help that I can buy I'd like to hear suggestions..

I have a TT Big typhoon on the chip, and an arctic cooler (thanks to my girl for my B-day :D) so I'm OK with cooling..
 
I was faced with the same decision awhile back...

I went from 1gb -> 1.5gb or 10k raptor...

I got the raptor first and later went back and got a stick of 512 :D

I honestly think the raptor made a bigger difference... so thats my recommendation!
 
The raptor will make everything nice and snappy, but so will the ram.. How about save and get both?
 
A gaming only system that mostly runs BF2 and has 1gb of memory?

Memory! Not only is it cheaper, but the raptor won't help you as much in-game.
 
Ok, ordered the RAM :)

Raptor will be the next purchase.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind :D
 
Back
Top