More RAM or hold out?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I've been using the same rig that I put together for about three years now and it's been in pretty good condition besides a few setbacks. A little over a year ago I screwed something up and was left with only one stick of 512 DDR where I used to have two. My specs are:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
X-Fi Xtrememusic
512 MB PC3200 DDR
160 GB HD, Floppy, DVD-RW and 350W Antec PSU

This thing used to kick some serious ass but I don't game nearly as much as I used to. I've noticed now that sometimes it just stalls and less than a gig of RAM is really a pain in the ass. Now that I've got Logitech Z-5300's and a Viewsonic VX2025 I'd really like to get back into some games but I don't know if my setup is still up for the challenge. If I were to get more RAM what should I get? Or should I just sit on this for a little while longer and go for a real overhaul?

I guess it depends on your budget. Though, I'd wait for an overhaul (cpu/ram/vidcard/psu).

I'm a poor college kid working at a restaurant bussing and cleaning dishes, right now I've got about $600 in my bank account but I'd rather save what I can.

Last time I was playing anything was Battlefield 2, I haven't really kept up with recent PC games. Any chance I would run Crysis decently?

Last time I was playing anything was Battlefield 2, I haven't really kept up with recent PC games. Any chance I would run Crysis decently?

That all depends on your definition of "decently." I'll reply later, when I have more time. In the meantime, someone else should be able to shed some light onto this topic. Anyhow, you'll definately need a new GPU and more RAM for Crysis.

You're at the point where you should just buy a whole new setup. (and 600 bucks is not quite enough..)

That system will have some serious frame buffer issues with Crysis.

A ram upgrade is certainly worthwhile.
I had a 1GB DDR400 (4x256MB), A64 @ 2.5Ghz system and contemplated getting a C2D system with DDR2 but it was too expensive at the time.
I opted to get cheap 2x1GB DDR400 ram and a x2 4200+ CPU (clocks to 2.8Ghz).
Brilliant choice, I shouldnt need for more until Quad core is mainstream.
The Ram clocks to 460MHz with reduced timings too, I can post the timings if you like.
As it is only 2 sticks of ram not 4, I am able to set 1T timing (instead of 2T) for an extra boost :)

2GB made all the difference to Stalker and ny PC is smooth as butter :)
Now to decide on an overclocked 2900XT or an 8800GTX. The jury is still out as the drivers need a short time to mature and DX10 benchies are all over the place. Dammit.

Getting the Ram was a risk as I couldnt find decent pricing anywhere except Ebay.
I took the plunge and paid about £70 a few months back, it now costs about £40.50 for the same 2x1GB !

The guy I bought from is US based (I'm UK) and is called fastmemoryman.
This current auction is what I got
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2GB-PC3200-DD...122517712QQihZ017QQcategoryZ172QQcmdZViewItem
I'm nothing to do with him btw.

I also found these at £41.25. I havent bought from him though so dunno if they are good.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2GB-2-X-1GB-P...129QQihZ005QQcategoryZ172QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your rig will have a fair bit of life left yet if you get an AGP X1950Pro graphics card as well, they are pretty cheap, about £110 in the UK.
So for a total of £150 + post ($300 + post) you will have 2GB Ram and a X1950Pro :)
Plenty left to get a x2 chip if needed :)
Hopefully you can get the gfx card even cheaper in the US.

Edit:
to run Crysis, you will need to get a PCI-E motherboard and a x2 A64 CPU (as well as a monster graphics card!).
By the time you need to do this, the PCI-E motherboards will be very cheap new and second hand so it is worth thinking about.
I'd get a 2x A64 chip now though. Be sure to get one from a place that overclockers buy from so you get a good clocker. Mine is a Toledo x2 4200+

I've been using the same rig that I put together for about three years now and it's been in pretty good condition besides a few setbacks. A little over a year ago I screwed something up and was left with only one stick of 512 DDR where I used to have two. My specs are:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
X-Fi Xtrememusic
512 MB PC3200 DDR
160 GB HD, Floppy, DVD-RW and 350W Antec PSU

This thing used to kick some serious ass but I don't game nearly as much as I used to. I've noticed now that sometimes it just stalls and less than a gig of RAM is really a pain in the ass. Now that I've got Logitech Z-5300's and a Viewsonic VX2025 I'd really like to get back into some games but I don't know if my setup is still up for the challenge. If I were to get more RAM what should I get? Or should I just sit on this for a little while longer and go for a real overhaul?

I say you just upgrade to a even 1GB of RAM for now. 1GB RAM does help a lot in games. and general multitasking. After that, wait and save up some more money. A budget around $700 to $900 can play Crysis pretty well in either DX9 or DX10 mode.

Also about that RAM screwup, can't you RMA that RAM? I mean most RAM manufacturers offer lifetime warranty for the last few years now. Maybe you have a lifetime warranty on that RAM you screwed up? Oh and is your hard drive SATA or IDE?

You don't need a whole new rig. what you have is still good stuff. Get more RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047
and if you want to spend more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052
and/or:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121031

That will last you a while and it is much cheaper then a complete upgrade. S939 is NOT dead as many of us still run it.

I would start with the RAM, you will notice a large difference, especially if you are not currently running dual channel with only 1 stick.

S939 is NOT dead as many of us still run it.
Its dead in the sense that it is no longer in production. Therefore, prices are high. So your best bet for parts is used from the FS/FT forum.

more RAM will always be beneficial, but you're probably better off saving your tips and doing a complete overhaul.

Back