• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

More rad or more fan?

beheo2019

Bad Trader
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Messages
1
The bottom of my 760t has 120mm free space so I dont know just put a fan there or put another 120 rad will help more for my custom loop. With the rad, all the hot air from rads dump inside the case.With the fan, a little bit of outside air goes into the case.
 
Just add another fan, with that much radiator space there's no real point in adding another 120.
 
Good airflow through radiators is dependent on case havig simlar amounts of intake and exhaust venting. I know of one case (no pun) that has 2x 360mm rad and a 480mm rad all running as intakes wtih only 2x 140mm exhaust vents to let air out. End result is the 10x 120mm fans can only push as much air into the case as can get out of the 2x 140mm exhaust vents. Cases flow the lessor amount of air that can enter and leave at same time. What flows into case must also flow out of case. Cases only flow the smaller amount of inatke vs exhasut vents can flow. 10x 120mm intakes can only flow as much air through rads into case as the 2x 140mm exhaust vents can let out. Agian, it's simple physics of equal and opposite reactions. Sure, air does compress, but our case fans, (even super 5amp 38mm thick, 5300rpm one) are not able to compress air very much. And once it's compressed as much as fan can, then we are at that "what flows in must flow out" law of equal and opposites.
 
  • Like
Reactions: noko
like this
End result is the 10x 120mm fans can only push as much air into the case as can get out of the 2x 140mm exhaust vents.
I can't get behind this. Cases are not sealed, airtight boxes save for fan slots. Even the most restrictive have gaps, slots, and openings that will allow additional air to enter or escape. Plus, a fan that's blowing from a higher pressure area to a lower pressure one (like the 140s you are describing) will naturally flow more air than a fan moving air between envelopes with no differential.
 
Good airflow through radiators is dependent on case havig simlar amounts of intake and exhaust venting. I know of one case (no pun) that has 2x 360mm rad and a 480mm rad all running as intakes wtih only 2x 140mm exhaust vents to let air out. End result is the 10x 120mm fans can only push as much air into the case as can get out of the 2x 140mm exhaust vents. Cases flow the lessor amount of air that can enter and leave at same time. What flows into case must also flow out of case. Cases only flow the smaller amount of inatke vs exhasut vents can flow. 10x 120mm intakes can only flow as much air through rads into case as the 2x 140mm exhaust vents can let out. Agian, it's simple physics of equal and opposite reactions. Sure, air does compress, but our case fans, (even super 5amp 38mm thick, 5300rpm one) are not able to compress air very much. And once it's compressed as much as fan can, then we are at that "what flows in must flow out" law of equal and opposites.
I never understood dumping radiator air into the case but many folks do for whatever reason. Yes, the basic understanding on what goes in must go out and not having a build up of pressure or vacuum inside the case preventing flow eludes some -> just basic testing afterwards on ensuring you have air flow, either with smoke, tissue paper etc. many do not do. Testing using like Prime 95 with and without filters installed, case open and closed (good one to determine if you have a restriction) are rarely talked about but really are needed to ensure proper air flow.

I am pondering a Threadripper build and the more I think about it the more likely it will just be an Air Cooler, like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4.
https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-tr4/p/13C-001F-00029
Less maintenance, less failure prone, less space taking overall and the performance now days are leaps ahead of what was possible in the past. I am also more inclined to control the temperature of air going into the computer then just ambient temperature for very effective cooling of everything.
 
I can't get behind this. Cases are not sealed, airtight boxes save for fan slots. Even the most restrictive have gaps, slots, and openings that will allow additional air to enter or escape. Plus, a fan that's blowing from a higher pressure area to a lower pressure one (like the 140s you are describing) will naturally flow more air than a fan moving air between envelopes with no differential.

It still doesn't negate the point that overall airflow will most likely be higher with equal intake/exhaust. Depending on how disproportionate the balance is, it can outweigh the effects of bringing in cooler air.

I never understood dumping radiator air into the case but many folks do for whatever reason. Yes, the basic understanding on what goes in must go out and not having a build up of pressure or vacuum inside the case preventing flow eludes some -> just basic testing afterwards on ensuring you have air flow, either with smoke, tissue paper etc. many do not do. Testing using like Prime 95 with and without filters installed, case open and closed (good one to determine if you have a restriction) are rarely talked about but really are needed to ensure proper air flow.

I am pondering a Threadripper build and the more I think about it the more likely it will just be an Air Cooler, like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4.
https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-tr4/p/13C-001F-00029
Less maintenance, less failure prone, less space taking overall and the performance now days are leaps ahead of what was possible in the past. I am also more inclined to control the temperature of air going into the computer then just ambient temperature for very effective cooling of everything.

With proper flow direction (having the warmest water hit exhaust radiators first before going to intake radiators), you can maximize cooling while still balancing airflow. In my case, one of the radiator positions is a filtered intake, so naturally I would want to take advantage of the filter to minimize dust buildup.
 
Go for more/better fans and optimize airflow in and out of the chassis. You have sufficient surface area on your existing rads.
 
It still doesn't negate the point that overall airflow will most likely be higher with equal intake/exhaust. Depending on how disproportionate the balance is, it can outweigh the effects of bringing in cooler air.



With proper flow direction (having the warmest water hit exhaust radiators first before going to intake radiators), you can maximize cooling while still balancing airflow. In my case, one of the radiator positions is a filtered intake, so naturally I would want to take advantage of the filter to minimize dust buildup.
Cross flow air configuration, I can see that with a limited ventilated case with 2 or more radiators. My case bottom is one big filter, same with top and front. Since only using one radiator, 360mm (thick), due to the thickness of the radiator I had to front mount it and I have it blowing out with no filter restriction on the suction or discharge side. Top 3 fans blow in the case filtered, bottom is filtered but no fans (could put two in but I don't think I need it. My case would support two radiators blowing out without restrictions I do believe. Anyways blowing the coldest air through them would be optimal which now I can see why folks suck from outside into the case. I just don't think the filter restriction or needing to the clean the air side of the cooler would be worth it.

Cleaned EKWB Supremacy block (it was definitely dirty). Changed out fluid, got rid of the thermal pad and used Artic MX-4 thermal paste. Ambient 71F (~ 22C). Tested with Prime 95, Ryzen 3900x with PBO
Smallest FFT - equilibrium temperature was 77C
Small FFT - equilibrium temperature was 74C

Got rid of the thermal pad due to it is a pain in the ass keeping it on the CPU without it sliding off putting on the block, then I am never sure if it moved or not since you cannot see it under the block. It, when properly installed gives about a +2C overall temperature over the paste.

Update: Without PBO, just PB, in HWInfo CPU + Soc power is 135w (with PBO it was 190w)
Prime 95 Smallest FFT - equilibrium temperature 66C​
This temperature is more what I expected from current water system setup, seems like recording what HWinfo is saying about CPU power would be only way to compare systems more realistically with Prime 95​
 
Last edited:
Back
Top