More R600 Info

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4510

Looking at this news post in our forum, there is a rumor coming out from the websites in China currently that AMD is planning to launch R600 on 8th or 9th March and be officially named as Radeon X2K series. The mass production silicon is expected to be still at A12 for the R600 cards at launch.

It seems like ATi has successfully taped out a A15 silicon that is able to work at 1GHz probably we can hope to see another series of R600 cards with higher working clocks in the near future. The article suggests ATi's next generation R680 is scheduled for Q3 launch but suggested that NVIDIA will have G81 and the next gen. GPU ready to compete.

According to our sources but still a rumor revealed R600 as X2800 series. There are 2 variants for XTX; 1GB and 512MB. X2800XTX runs at 750MHz core, 2.2GHz memory, 512-bit memory interface and GDDR4 while XT runs at 600MHz core, 1.8GHz memory, 512-bit memory interface and GDDR3.

A good question is whether or not the SPs operate at higher than the core frequency. My assumption is that they will, but the rumours don't indicate such.

Holy crud! I'm glad eVGA has their step-up program... I just bought my 8800GTS, looks like I'm going to need that! I hope nVidia responds soon ;)!

Anyone hear anything about how many Stream Processors the X2K ATI series will have?

Holy crud! I'm glad eVGA has their step-up program... I just bought my 8800GTS, looks like I'm going to need that! I hope nVidia responds soon ;)!

Anyone hear anything about how many Stream Processors the X2K ATI series will have?

You had better hope nvidia returns with something.. evga doesn't make ati.

I will wait to see the benchmarks & opinions of its performance.. The numbers never meant anything to me. Many of us should already know that. The R600 is one of the reasons I put off the purchase of an 8800 GTX card though so I am waiting. We just have to be patient. I more intrested crossfire performance anyways, not single card performance. No worries about your 8800 gts though. Nvidia should have a refresh announcement very shortly. Gotta remember that nvidias announcements & launches hold much smaller time gaps than ATI does.

The last rumour was 64 Vec3 ALUs, while G80 has 128 scalar ALUs. It's been hinted that R600's ALUs can process four ops per clock, which means, under ideal conditions, that's 256 operations per clock. At 750 MHz, that puts R600 a nudge ahead G80 (at 1.35 GHz) in terms of raw processing operations (theoretically).

However, G80's scheduler can keep ALUs busy, while you may run into scenarios with R600's Vec3 ALUs where not all ALUs are performing to their full capability.

I think it's going to be very close in terms of raw shading performance. If G81 pushes 1.5 GHz for the SPs, I think the shader round will go to NVIDIA. AMD might make up considerable ground with memory bandwidth, but we don't know exactly where G81 parts will land up in this regard.

Though what about all the others specs? :confused: For some reason I find this beleivable

I think you mean Vec3+1 or Vec4 and not just Vec3. R580 for example is Vec3+1, Xenos is Vec4+1. The vast majority of operations in 3D graphics are vector related operations so ATI's efficiency should still be fairly good. Keep in mind memory bandwidth was what was really holding R580 back, even with GDDR4 it still seemed limited.

Using the conservative estimates R600 should be ~11% faster than G80. That's 128*1.35GHz vs 256*750MHz. If they go the Vec4+1 route(xenos) they should be ~39% faster. Some sites keep posting 1GHz clockspeeds for R600 as well which would utterly destroy G80 if true. This is of course assuming 100% utilization.

The memory bandwidth isn't even comparable so it's likely ATI will pull way ahead of Nvidia when AA/AF gets turned on. In the past ATI was much more efficient when AA/AF was used due to their memory controller. If they have nearly twice the memory bandwidth on top of that controller the performance difference could be staggering. The biggest question is still how ATI plans on using all of that bandwidth and AA/AF would be a prime candidate.

game in dual sli at 2500xfuckall rez?

I'm no fan of throwing around numbers about logic units and whatnot, but still, talk of r600 gets me really excited. As much as I know that I"ll be getting ~1k$ back from taxes, I also know that I"ll save a ton of money picking up at ~300$ 8800gts, rather than a 500-600$ r600 :(

Back