More Internet Users Watch Streaming Video Than Cable

monkeymagick

[H]News
Thanks to nXgravity for this story. A new study is reaffirming what most of us have already been doing which is cutting the cord. Marketing firm, Fluent LLC, conducted the study stating the reason for the switch is for the lower cost too nobody's surprise. Again, you millennials are mainly to blame, imho.

A not-insignificant number of those Americans maintain cable subscriptions only because of limits imposed by their internet providers. A recent report from Deloitte found that two-thirds of cable subscribers keep their TV service because it's bundled with the internet.

Yep, if the provider didn't force cable service with their internet I wouldn't blink an eye, TV is for my retired dad, an old boring inefficient means of entertainment from the past.

Shame no competition in town forcing their hand, pray these monopolies don't decide to bundle other "valuable" services in the future now that Pai the megashill's in charge.

net.neutrality.chart.crop.jpg

A recent report from Deloitte found that two-thirds of cable subscribers keep their TV service because it's bundled with the internet.
I dont understand this at all, I've had "internet only" service from comcast for over 5 years now in 2 different states, and no it does not cost more/equal than a bundled TV service. Any TV package I could choose to add-on would be proportionally larger. I suspect a lot of home user goons just cant do simple math or fail to read all of the offers available to them.

As for the subject at hand, I woke up early before work today and decided to watch an episode of Bloodline on Netflix. Came in crystal clear HD, no visual artifacts, no commercials, and a nice clean interface for browsing content (an APP on my cellphone) instead of a clunky remote control and Xfinity UI from the 80's. The same experience is simply not possible on cable/satellite. Even their HD streams are so heavily compressed in a feeble attempt to cram 500+ channels of content into the spectrum equivalent of about 200mbps that the quality is horrid.

I get ads from Spectrum (formerly TWC in my area) to take my internet from $50/month to "Just $30/month!"... if I also get cable at $30/month and home phone at $30/month. Yeah, let's go from $50/month for just internet to $90/month for crap I don't want so I can feel like I'm getting a "deal" on the internet service itself.

We're at 61% of people (households?) with cable at home, which means 39% don't. I remember just 7 years ago that number was less than 10%. It's growing, and growing rapidly. People are starting to realize they can do without.

On the other hand, paying $15 for HBO, $15 for CBS All Access, $10 for Netflix, $8 for Hulu.... this model of paying more and more for each specific service has the potential to kind of suck as well, but maybe it's worth it to make the cable companies panic.

Last edited:
I dont understand this at all, I've had "internet only" service from comcast for over 5 years now in 2 different states, and no it does not cost more/equal than a bundled TV service. Any TV package I could choose to add-on would be proportionally larger. I suspect a lot of home user goons just cant do simple math or fail to read all of the offers available to them.

As for the subject at hand, I woke up early before work today and decided to watch an episode of Bloodline on Netflix. Came in crystal clear HD, no visual artifacts, no commercials, and a nice clean interface for browsing content (an APP on my cellphone) instead of a clunky remote control and Xfinity UI from the 80's. The same experience is simply not possible on cable/satellite. Even their HD streams are so heavily compressed in a feeble attempt to cram 500+ channels of content into the spectrum equivalent of about 200mbps that the quality is horrid.
I would only save about $15 a month by switching to streaming but the video quality of live sports just isn't quite on par with cable/satellite yet and live sports is just about the only TV I watch anymore.

Just had my yearly call to Cox, threatening to cancel my services because they raised the price again.
2 years ago I drop the phone service, and now only have TV cable and 50mb internet (have my own DVR, modem, router, etc.).
New price was $153

Cox offers the same deal to new customers fro $90. Really nice that the charge long term (20 years) customers 60% more.
They did offer me a extra $15 discount, but the rate is still high.

I'd dump cable if it was just me, but the wife & kids would complain too much.

I have no other options for internet, and the phone company doesn't even offer DSL at my address (used to have 3mbit available years ago)
Switching to Dish would be a little cheaper, but don't think it's worth the hassle for the little I'd save.

Next time I buy a house, I'll make sure there is more than 1 option for internet, and make sure it's on the right side if the hills so I can also receive broadcast TV.

Back