More GeForce GTS 240 Info

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the folks at Expreview, the upcoming GeForce GTS 240 will actually be a renamed 9800GT with higher clock speeds and the GTS 250 is said to be identical to the current 9800GTX+.

However, GTS 240 still has much to do with 9800GT. Firstly, GTS 240 is a high-frequency edition of 9800GT. The core/shader/memory clock of GTS 240 is 675/1688/2200MHz, compared with 600/1500/1800MHz found on 9800GT, so we can say it has improved a lot.

What is it with Nvidia and repackaging a product to con people into buying?

FAIL

lol dang milking it, But then again If its for their low end cards why not? its not hurting anyone. They dont have to design something newer.

So how long will it be till they finally make a single-slot competitor to the 4850? :mad:

lol dang milking it, But then again If its for their low end cards why not? its not hurting anyone. They dont have to design something newer.

NOT true. I still have an 8800GT 512 that I would love to be able to purchase a new second card for SLI. 9800GT=8800GT=GTS 240 = no cheap SLI options for the future

NOT true. I still have an 8800GT 512 that I would love to be able to purchase a new second card for SLI. 9800GT=8800GT=GTS 240 = no cheap SLI options for the future

well im sure you can pick up a used card some where for less than 100.........does not get any cheaper really.

I'd imagine that G92 is probably the single most profitable graphics chip ever produced. "Milk" is a gross understatement.

Pretty soon we're going to start getting G92s in cereal and Cracker Jack boxes. In three to four years, nineteen companies worldwide will run 337 landfills dedicated solely to disposing of G92 chips. By 2014, G92 chips will account for 17% of Earth's total mass. By 2016, half the world's Christian population will have converted from Christianity to G92FAITH. In 2022, G92 will finally attain a collective consciousness.

I for one welcome our G92 overlords.

Still no GTX200-derivative for the masses? Wonder when that will happen? Maybe in 2014 they'll be selling GTX260's renamed to GTX540 GT...

are there road maps for any NEW products from nvidia or ati?

they have been re-releasing old flavors for almost a year now if not longer.

when are we going to get the next generation in vid card tech... are their any roadmaps?

is nvidia worried about dropping the ball and bankrupting the ati division of amd, or are they just as stumped as ati in creating something new? all they are doing is creating new flavors of old 200-500$ videocards, which 10% improvements are not interesting to me.

any news?

are there road maps for any NEW products from nvidia or ati?

they have been re-releasing old flavors for almost a year now if not longer.

when are we going to get the next generation in vid card tech... are their any roadmaps?

is nvidia worried about dropping the ball and bankrupting the ati division of amd, or are they just as stumped as ati in creating something new? all they are doing is creating new flavors of old 200-500$ videocards, which 10% improvements are not interesting to me.

any news?
Fud says GT300 will come out in late 09

Till then, just die shrinks of what we're seeing now

I'd imagine that G92 is probably the single most profitable graphics chip ever produced. "Milk" is a gross understatement.

Pretty soon we're going to start getting G92s in cereal and Cracker Jack boxes. In three to four years, nineteen companies worldwide will run 337 landfills dedicated solely to disposing of G92 chips. By 2014, G92 chips will account for 17% of Earth's total mass. By 2016, half the world's Christian population will have converted from Christianity to G92FAITH. In 2022, G92 will finally attain a collective consciousness.

I for one welcome our G92 overlords.

how about in 10 years we come back to the thread and see who has collected all the g92's and sell it on ebay like that one guy did with intel cpu's

Well, I guess my 8800GT SLI setup was a good investment, if they are going to keep making the same card for this long.

Well, I guess my 8800GT SLI setup was a good investment, if they are going to keep making the same card for this long.
yep

all that has happened is you've moved from "lower high end" to "upper mid range"

lol the pricing on their products is so close together...

9600gt, 8800gt, 9800gt, 9800gtx, 9800gtx+

what the fack!

the noob shoppers at bestbuy are gonna be like OMGZ!

i guesss 8800s were the last valuecard since if you had 1 when they were expensive they were great, then when they got cheap you could have two in sli that were as good as the new cards...

i need something 2xfaster than 9600gt before upgrading for 175$ again... its not worth it that much anymore.

i guesss 8800s were the last valuecard since if you had 1 when they were expensive they were great, then when they got cheap you could have two in sli that were as good as the new cards...

i need something 2xfaster than 9600gt before upgrading for 175$ again... its not worth it that much anymore.
uh
pretty much anything above a 9800GTX+ would be 2x faster than 9600gt

Especially the GTX260 if you can find them around $200

lol the pricing on their products is so close together...

9600gt, 8800gt, 9800gt, 9800gtx, 9800gtx+

what the fack!

the noob shoppers at bestbuy are gonna be like OMGZ!

Yeah, do we really need cards that are priced $10 apart? In the past it cards used to be priced $100 apart or more.. if you couldn't afford that $300 card you bought a $200 card... You never had to choose between 49.5 FPS at $220 or 53.8 FPS for $240...or how about 51.3 FPS for $219? :rolleyes:

What would you compare to against Ati with 8800gt sli, single card solution.

This whole 240/250 fiasco is irritating. A 9800GTX+ (250) jump to a 260 is a lot bigger than the 260 to 285 jump, yet it's separated by only 10 points where the other is 25 points.

Again, Nvidia not making sense of it's naming schemes. I swear I'm on the verge of going 'red'. I think Richard Wagoner is running Nvidia. Honestly I do. That's how stupid their decision making process is.

So how long will it be till they finally make a single-slot competitor to the 4850? :mad:

they will need a new design for that, but for people that don't need single cards slots the 9800GTX+ would be an options, if they could figure out that they need to drop the price.

LONG LIVE THE 8800 GT! The only difference is it's names been legally changed by Nvidia Law 3 times! hahahaha!!

Best buy kid: "Man I upgraded from a 8800 GT to a 9800 GT then to a GTX 240 and I haven't seen any improvements! WTF!"

Fud says GT300 will come out in late 09

Till then, just die shrinks of what we're seeing now
The 40nm die shrink of the GT200 series GPU is supposed to have 384SPs; that's a 60% gain even before any clocking or architecural boosts. That strikes me as being a decent upgrade, especially since the chip itself will be smaller than the current 55nm one.

I'll stick with my 9600GT clocked @ 730 core, 1825 shader, and 2220 memory with stock cooling, thanks.

I loved my 4850. Great bang/buck. But such a powerful card with a single slot, at least in this case led to the following scenario:

Single slot = way too hot

The 4850's with aftermarket cooling (which usually made it not single slot anymore :( ) OC better, run WAY cooler, and seem more stable, too. I know it makes it hard to do crossfire/SLI in some cases/mobos though.

And yes. This naming scheme - mucho sucko. My first time on step-up with EVGA was a joke. I had the 8800GTS 512 and for $60 + shipping I could've stepped up to the 9800GTX, which was pretty much a slightly modded 8800GTS 512 ... I never saw more than a 3-4% gain on any benchmarks comparing the two. What a sham. Part of the reason I bought a 4850.

This feels so lame. When are we going to see real new products? Are these only made to sell out old stock or something?

Jesus, do we need to wait for a console refresh before they release something new ?

I believe that Windows 7 ships with DX11. That's probably the next big upgrade.

I believe that Windows 7 ships with DX11. That's probably the next big upgrade.

Oh GREAT. Now we can have GTX 245, 265, etc. that are the same blasted card but somehow now "magically" support DX11....

And of course they won't be able to SLI with each other.

Back