More FM2+ boards announced, including some high-end variants

FM2+ socket has a lot of potential. I think it will be a good decision, if AMD puts most of their focus on their awesome little apu's.

FM2+ socket has a lot of potential. I think it will be a good decision, if AMD puts most of their focus on their awesome little apu's.

Personally, I prefer tons of CPU power for rendering, 3D work and whatnot, but 90% of my customers need something like an APU. I would LOVE to be able to sell somethig from AMD that competes with an entry-level i5 with 7750 level onboard graphics to my customers. I could guarantee I'd sell them by the truckload.

Anyone know if FM1/2/+ has ECC support?

ECC support was not included with the FM1 and FM2 platform, and I doubt it'll make a return on FM2+. So you are stuck with AM3+ as far as AMD consumer boards go. Which is a shame, I would agree.

The Asus mATX FM2+ offering seems really limited, especially coming from the same company that produces the Maximus Gene line of Intel LGA boards. I did a double take and had to check they were in face made by the same company.

I don't mean major performance features I'm talking basic I/O features. Things like 7.1 audio jacks, few USB ports, and no 90* SATA connectors.

I am confused as to why they are putting PS2 ports on a board created in this century....

^I guess for ultimate backwards compatibility, lol. I noticed that on the ASUS reveal not long ago, kinda weird but I guess for people with that type of hardware, they'd be covered I suppose.

PS2 ports still have a use for keyboards, and they don't really cost anything to add.

It still baffles my mind that there is such a limited selection of MITX motherboards for these APUs. When they first came out I thought we would see a lot of MITX options very quickly, but it just hasn't happened.

you might see more fm2+ MITX boards with kaveri.

However if you follow the trend I doubt you will see ITX anything from AMD processors. Maybe something based on their new SOC Kabini (A4-5000, and A6-5200)

Overall though I think the Fm2+ processors will be MATX, and ATX, with very few MITX boards.

There are some fm2 options Asrock, MSI and Gigabyte all offer a MITX board for Fm2.

Anyway back on topic. I find it surprising to see high end Amd boards coming out for the Fm2+ socket. AM3+ was mostly ignored for the high end boards.

The fact that they're doing high-end boards for a socket that's supposedly APU-focused, kinda lends sentiment to the possibility of FX coming to FM2+. That would be awesome. One socket, yet everyone could pick between APU's, Athlons, and FX chips...

The fact that they're doing high-end boards for a socket that's supposedly APU-focused, kinda lends sentiment to the possibility of FX coming to FM2+. That would be awesome. One socket, yet everyone could pick between APU's, Athlons, and FX chips...

happy days indeed if that is the case.

I think that's the ultimate goal from AMD-- one unified socket for APU and FX line post-Steamroller-based processors.

However, I believe the Athlon line will be dropped in place of lower end APUs. Once the GPU and CPU is fully unified under AMD's HSA vision maybe around the day Excavator is released, we'll see APU models from entry-level to budget to mid-range and high-end. APU FX processor perhaps?

I am confused as to why they are putting PS2 ports on a board created in this century....

The best keyboards are still PS/2... Nothing beats my IBM M-class keyboard that was manufactured decades ago in the USA.

The best keyboards are still PS/2... Nothing beats my IBM M-class keyboard that was manufactured decades ago in the USA.

No kidding? I still use my old Dell PS/2 keyboard from 10 years ago. Still haven't found anything else that I like.

It still baffles my mind that there is such a limited selection of MITX motherboards for these APUs. When they first came out I thought we would see a lot of MITX options very quickly, but it just hasn't happened.

Probably because they compete against laptops and lose.

I don't think the Athlon's will disappear, since they're just APU parts that had the iGPU disabled due to defects. Like the Athlon x4 750k, which is basically the A10-5700 with the iGPU disabled. It even has the same base clockspeed. They did the same thing with Socket FM1. They're a great value (can usually be found around $80 USD) for people who want to do a budget build, but will be getting a discreet GPU thus negating the purpose of an APU. An $80 quad-core Athlon with Steamroller cores would be a very sexy product.

i think they will go, at least as a no-GPU product.

athlon X4 might end up with very few shaders, perhaps just 128 out of 512, but I think they'll move HSA top to bottom in order to encourage technology adoption.

^I can see that happening. Hopefully they'd be able to do a hexacore APU by then as well.

No kidding? I still use my old Dell PS/2 keyboard from 10 years ago. Still haven't found anything else that I like.

just curious why?

I have use usb keyboard for over a decade. It is a cheap one too. What are the benefits of using PS/2 keyboard?

just curious why?

I have use usb keyboard for over a decade. It is a cheap one too. What are the benefits of using PS/2 keyboard?
U.S.B. has a limit for the number of simultaneous key presses, but PS/2 does not have this limitation; certain U.S.B. keyboards have a way to allow for six or more simultaneous key presses.

The advantage of a U.S.B. keyboard would be its polling rate that could be faster than a PS/2 keyboard, but U.S.B. polling consumes C.P.U. cycles, so some people believe that anything over a certain polling rate for U.S.B. keyboards would be wasteful; however, this is a similar argument regarding soundcards that are not hardware emulating capable versus those that can emulate via their hardware, so I believe that racing games and possibly any other fast paced activity might benefit from a higher polling rate that a U.S.B. keyboard might provide.

Technically they could, The system is still limited by 100 Watt so that would mean no 4 module parts to start with.

Technically they could, The system is still limited by 100 Watt so that would mean no 4 module parts to start with.

I'm sure they could get a six core FX inside 100W. Besides a 5800k@5Ghz is way over 100W.

none of those boards really look high-end...

and whats up with the non-90s degrees SATA ports, WTF!

As I have said before, if they cannot produce a product competitive to a 77w 140£ Haswell i5 on 28nm within a 100w budget they have NO business in this game long term.

Ps do we know that fm2+ is 100w?

Last edited:
As I have said before, if they cannot produce a product competitive to a 77w 140£ Haswell i5 on 28nm within a 100w budget they have NO business in this game long term.

I'm sure that if you have a spare billion or 10 around AMD can use that money for R&D and maybe get closer Intel , but as long as the budget is 5 times less expecting miracles from the engine room is just something only witnessed in Star Trek :)

if that the case then we are all screwed, once Intel looses the only competition they have, they will go mad with CPU prices.

Fit a ~3.0ghz three-module CPU with a low-clocked HD7750 level GPU on-die, and these platforms will be a must-buy. Just OC the core to ~4.0Ghz and the GPU to 7790 levels and slap a H80 on that bitch. You have a 1080p machine that will play anything medium-high. The trick AMD needs to learn is that they can have a slow stock-speed to keep below the 100w limit and enthusiasts will overclock the rest of the way.

The new Asrock A88X Extreme 6+ has am 8+2 phase VRM array, I highly doubt it's held back by a 100w limit. I can really see this platform taking off as an old-school Overcloker's dream: take a $150 CPU and volt it within an inch of it's life and make it compete with a $300 chip!

But AMD will probably just release quads with 7550's attached... I really hope they at least beef up the GPU.

Fit a ~3.0ghz three-module CPU with a low-clocked HD7750 level GPU on-die, and these platforms will be a must-buy. Just OC the core to ~4.0Ghz and the GPU to 7790 levels and slap a H80 on that bitch. You have a 1080p machine that will play anything medium-high. The trick AMD needs to learn is that they can have a slow stock-speed to keep below the 100w limit and enthusiasts will overclock the rest of the way.

The new Asrock A88X Extreme 6+ has am 8+2 phase VRM array, I highly doubt it's held back by a 100w limit. I can really see this platform taking off as an old-school Overcloker's dream: take a $150 CPU and volt it within an inch of it's life and make it compete with a $300 chip!

But AMD will probably just release quads with 7550's attached... I really hope they at least beef up the GPU.

erm? you know that trinity and richland parts are both offered from the factory with 4ghz clock rates? and they can game at 1080p now with fast dual channel mem.

We will see what Amd plans to do with Kaveri, but plan on having faster cpu cores, and GCN radeon cores. How much faster is the million dollar question right now.

if that the case then we are all screwed, once Intel looses the only competition they have, they will go mad with CPU prices.

At the high end, yes.

But I don't believe that they cannot make power efficient competitive designs in the midrange.

But that is the sub £140 bracket, and should easily fit within 100w.

That said, it has yet to be demonstrated that fm2+ is limited to 100w.

In my opinion, if you hope for a high end chip beyond piledriver you better hope fm2+ rocks a 125w limit.

The supposed 100W limit is a non-issue. The 5800k and 6800k will exceed that once overclocked anyway. Besides, on the AM3+ platform, the FX-6300 and the FX-8300/8320 are all 95W parts. They could do CPU-only parts with 6 and 8 cores with ease if they wanted to.

At the high end, yes.

But I don't believe that they cannot make power efficient competitive designs in the midrange.

But that is the sub £140 bracket, and should easily fit within 100w.

That said, it has yet to be demonstrated that fm2+ is limited to 100w.

In my opinion, if you hope for a high end chip beyond piledriver you better hope fm2+ rocks a 125w limit.

i'm talking about the motherboards, those boards that haven been announced are not high end compared what you get for intel CPU.

I hope there is a strong future for the FM2+ enthusiast. While a socket change is probably necessary, I hope it's justified too.

Back