More DOOM Gameplay Footage

That's ridiculous, there's no way the game will look like that when it's released. The same goes for any game being shown at E3.

Okay...So...
Demo'd with a controller: Check
Consolitus: Check
Controller wheel for weapon selection: Check
Melee, console, god of war style moves: Check
I'd bet money there will be quick time events too.

I don't know, i'm more disappointed than hype.

I don't know. Anybody else think it's a little too bright? I like the looks of it tho but I'm not sure about the layout. Doom had a lot of big rooms for serious brawling with several enemies and I hope they bring that to this version.

I guess they figured that he needed crazy power armor too... Just give me a man and his arsenal, you can keep all your crazy melee combat.

This is how they suck all you guys in for the pre-orders. It all starts at E3 with the pretty videos and then its all a launch day scam a year later when it's released after being flogged into submission with the console bat. E3 should be shutdown along with all of these pre-rendered stupid video showcase events..

This is how they suck all you guys in for the pre-orders. It all starts at E3 with the pretty videos and then its all a launch day scam a year later when it's released after being flogged into submission with the console bat. E3 should be shutdown along with all of these pre-rendered stupid video showcase events..

Yep, don't fall for it. FUCK pre-ordering. Make them earn your cash.

Yeah Im not big on pre-ordering really but this still looks good enough that Ill be there money in hand pretty soon after release day. Ill wait for a few initial impressions but barring a whole bunch of bugs or total shit graphics, Im probably all in for this one.

I think it will be fine. You all act like the original and up until 3 was so engaging. DOOM was my first PC game when I was probably 6, yeah my dad is cool like that. I grew up playing that and other games like Warcraft 1-3, Ultima, etc. Along with console stuff From Nintendo to N64 then onward.

DOOM 3 got complaints since it was "slow" and relied more on jump scares and eerie atmosphere but I thought it was OK with accepting that. Original DOOM isn't useful to compare to given it's time point and once you're the most or one of the most pivotal games in FPS/PC gaming there will always be expectation.

DOOM 4 to me looks like it maintained a fairly forward and fast pace play with enjoying a new engine and being able to utilize more environment. As in, you can look around and feel like you're there. I agree, the melee stuff never really grabbed my attention...but just don't use it? You're not obligated to do it. Just like there is no cover system, seen so far....why, it's not what DOOM is about. The only thing I'm nto a fan of that I've seen so far is the highlighting enemies when it seems they've taken enough damage to melee finish them. It has the classic guns, classic demons with some new elements. Not really sure what else you want? They don't add anything it'd be "Same old stuff, nothing new on a new engine...blah blah blah."

I also don't expect much story when I play DOOM. I play it to shoot things, violence and feel like I can play a game that's mindless and feels familiar. I don't go to DOOM and think it's going to feel like it's the Uncharted series.

It's not a need to lower expectation, it's a need to understand what the games place is. You also over look the huge update they have for multiplayer. Not only getting a nice new arena experience but you get custom map making.

Will I pre-order, no, but I don't pre-order anything. To some one with the money though and just enjoying the franchise, I'm sure they will. DOOM and many games these days hit the "shelves" and you'll see sales and price drops pretty quick.

I'm really not sure what people expected?

I guess they figured that he needed crazy power armor too... Just give me a man and his arsenal, you can keep all your crazy melee combat.

The character has always been able to double jump like he's got a rocket pack, sprint like he's on a combo of Meth and PCP, and carry a half ton of weapons and ammo on his back. Not to mention he was a Space Marine and even had the helmet and some partial suit even in the orginal Doom. To make it a full suit isn't much of a stretch.

Please, please, please don't let this game suck you into a pre-order! If it rocks, then great, I can wait a week after release.

I don't see a pre-order in my future. The melee finish "highlighting" is a total immersion killer along with the health/armor/ammo popping out the of the frags. Hope my GTX660 will push enough pixels to be enjoyable.

There better be a way to map weapons cause that weapon wheel is a no go for me.

This!
This is why gaming tech has stagnated over the past several years. The devs can so easily "play" the gaming public with demos they never intend to be the delivered product. They take in huge money up front on a product they never actually deliver. Why would they mess up this money machine as long as people keep queuing up to get screwed time and time again?

This!
This is why gaming tech has stagnated over the past several years. The devs can so easily "play" the gaming public with demos they never intend to be the delivered product. They take in huge money up front on a product they never actually deliver. Why would they mess up this money machine as long as people keep queuing up to get screwed time and time again?

So true, we are the reason things have gotten as bad as it is, with buggy releases, sections of games cut out to be sold as day one DLC and DLC being made, and even sold, before a game even releases.

It wasn't like this in the past, but since we, the game buying public, have shown that we will not only tolerate it but will throw money at those doing this to us so we reap what we have sown.

Watched the video, and I can safely say, this is just pre-rendered video.

Player controls are too smoothed in the video, there is no graphical anomalies, no frame-rate hiccups, etc.

Same shit as when the PS3 came out with it's "real" game-play footage.

The game play doesn't look particularly interesting to me, I don't know why they're bothering using all those graphics on the same old same old. Also, it's not really Doom without John Carmak is it? ID has been entirely absorbed by Zenimax now anyway.

I watched the E3 footage, then my wife came in the office and asked me if I was having an orgasm :eek:

Looks nice and has the old style gameplay of previous DOOM installments but I can't help thinking the fact that this demo was played on a console because of the weapon wheel configuration.

That's ridiculous, there's no way the game will look like that when it's released. The same goes for any game being shown at E3.

Haha how quickly people forget. All those UE4 videos that Epic has been pushing for the past 1-2 years? Yeah, not going to happen in the next 10 years. Reality? ARK: Survival Evolved and Daylight. We'll probably see Triple A studios do a lot more, but all these new engines usually do is raise the lower end of the spectrum.

Hell, it wasn't that long ago Epic debuted the UE3 Samaritan showcasing UE3+ and if UE3 could really do all that then who needs UE4? Hate how the industry has oversold game engines and pre-rendered content and the media for the last decade has gobbled the shit up with no questions.

It was observant fans that raised the whole Witcher 3 controversy, not the media that should have called it out themselves. I guess debating someones art and going all CNN about sexism in modern games and what not matters more than biting the developers hand that feeds them.

Watched the video, and I can safely say, this is just pre-rendered video.

Player controls are too smoothed in the video, there is no graphical anomalies, no frame-rate hiccups, etc.

Same shit as when the PS3 came out with it's "real" game-play footage.

Probably true, but you will notice they will say "this is actual game play running in real time on the game engine"
And likely it is; modern gaming engines are capable of cranking out graphics at that level but there is no way consoles and mid to low end PCs and laptops capable of delivering playable frame rates.
So often they develop the game that kicks as and pushes the envelope on the graphics front. They have to drop all the high end quality out for a descent frame rate on consoles.
MOST OF THE TIME, even though the game is developed on a high end PC; instead of a direct port, they will ship a console port for PCs so it will run on low end units. :mad:
I don't know why in the heck they do not release PC version in 2 levels. The standard PC version and a high end dedicated gaming rig version that actually delivers on the demos they show.
HECK, have the installer run a bench test before installing and delivering a report of how will it will run. If you buy the high end version and try go install it on a low end PC, it flat out tells you IT WON'T BE PLAYABLE. End of story.

I have to think the MAIN REASON they deliver console ports to PCs is because trying to get a high end version to SCALE across the broad spectrum of PC specs out there is near impossible to do while delivering high end graphics on maxed out settings and still good performance on low end PCs.

It looked gorgeous. But the AI and linearity were a bit of a let down. Although, if anyone has earned a pass on linearity, it should be Doom. There wasn't a sense of being overwhelmed with enemies and fighting tooth and nail to survive, like the Dead Space series. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Still, I'm being too harsh. I'm super excited for this. I started replaying Doom 3 again, two weeks ago. This is my jam. But I won't preorder without incentives.

Also, I'm going to be extremely disappointed if this doesn't have VR support within a year of release.

I don't know why in the heck they do not release PC version in 2 levels. The standard PC version and a high end dedicated gaming rig version that actually delivers on the demos they show.
HECK, have the installer run a bench test before installing and delivering a report of how will it will run. If you buy the high end version and try go install it on a low end PC, it flat out tells you IT WON'T BE PLAYABLE. End of story.

Or do it like they used to do it - make various settings. Minimum, Average, Maximum, ULTRA! Don't run Ultra unless you have a damn good machine, otherwise you'll be watching a slide show.

It looks great. The melee QTE's seemed off putting, but I'm hoping they are minimized. I like the run and gun games like Doom 1 & 2, Serious Sam, etc.. Hoping this brings back that spirit without trying to be something new...

Or do it like they used to do it - make various settings. Minimum, Average, Maximum, ULTRA! Don't run Ultra unless you have a damn good machine, otherwise you'll be watching a slide show.

It looks great. The melee QTE's seemed off putting, but I'm hoping they are minimized. I like the run and gun games like Doom 1 & 2, Serious Sam, etc.. Hoping this brings back that spirit without trying to be something new...

Yeah, was thinking no need for completely seperate versions. A dual layer DVD holds over 8.5GB.
You can have the full ultra res texture version, a mid level version, and a low end version of the same game all on 1 DL DVD.
One thing I liked about ID's RAGE was it had a benchmark in the options and it told you how well your system would run with the TECH5 engine. My system registered high end, so I never had any texture popping issues.
Built in benches need to run PRIOR to game installs in every case, spitting out a report.
Think how handy this would be.
Say it scores system 1-100. 100 being a multi GPU high end rig. 1 being a cheap laptop. Most serious PC gamers rigs should fall in the 70-100 range.
The bench can easily predict performance with that info.

is the AI really supposed to be that bad? Yeah it looks pretty but for those that say the gameplay looks good I'm not quite sure what you're referring to? :confused:

I want to see larger rooms with tons of guys and less linear play.

Back