More DLSS...

Playing MW5:Mercs at 1440p with Vsync on and DLSS set to Quality on a 2080TI. Game looks identical and maybe better in some cases when I stand and look at things. While fighting the only difference I am noticing is how much smoother the game feels lasers maybe look better.

Edit:
The smoother game play is helping my motion sickness, I am finding I can play longer before the nausea sets in, not a lot longer but longer still. FPS titles and I tend not to get along for very long.

Interesting.
You made me fire up WolfYB and check some areas in the catacomb base that sometimes gave me a FPS drop and its no longer happening.

4k native, DLSS OFF (Quality) RTX2070

Wolfenstein  Youngblood Screenshot 2020.03.24 - 20.51.16.99.png

4K Native, DLSS ON (Quality) RTX2070

Wolfenstein  Youngblood Screenshot 2020.03.24 - 20.52.14.62.png

1440p upscaled to 4k, DLSS ON (Quality) RTX2070

Wolfenstein  Youngblood Screenshot 2020.03.24 - 20.53.14.66.png

4k native, DLSS OFF (Quality) RTX2070

4K Native, DLSS ON (Quality) RTX2070

1440p upscaled to 4k, DLSS ON (Quality) RTX2070
My eyes are pretty shite but don't see much of a meaningful difference between them which really is most of the point of the tech. How did it play?

My eyes are pretty shite but don't see much of a meaningful difference between them which really is most of the point of the tech. How did it play?
I play at 1440p upscaled to 4K on a 32" LG monitor, 60FPS steady. Very happy with that, from a RTX2070.

TBH, while the game is "meh", it is probably the smoothest and one of the better looking RT and DLSS games I have played! Shame... lol.

Is there any way to know if DLSS 2.0 is working?

I seemed to get the Control update but I'm not sure if anything changed.

Is there any way to know if DLSS 2.0 is working?

I seemed to get the Control update but I'm not sure if anything changed.
Performance increase? Quality?
I dont have Control as I'm a Steam hold out but I might have to cave and get it if I keep staying home this much and the weather doesn't improve.....

I am still finding that DLSS makes Battlefield V looks like garbage still...all grained out. When I have DLSS turned off, it looks amazing.

Some people just want to complain and not read the context ;)
This is all new right now, no harm done.
Honest observations are always welcome.

It's what this thread is all about.

Performance increase? Quality?
I dont have Control as I'm a Steam hold out but I might have to cave and get it if I keep staying home this much and the weather doesn't improve.....
The game is amazing and a ton of fun, I beat it several months ago now. I got it free back in September with my video card, but I'd highly recommend it even if I had paid for it directly. I have not given it a try since DLSS 2.0 though as the latest drivers broke HDR, and as most games I play have HDR, I had to roll back my drivers. I'm hoping nvidia fixes that and I can see how much better it does and looks. It looked good before, but damn that game brought my PC to its knees at times... haha.

BFV has not received the DLSS 2.0 update, and might never do.
Sadly, your probably right because Dice f*cked that game so bad. But my oh my would that game be gorgeous with it at 4k! I still play the game at 4k, RT on and DLSS 1.0, with HDR on it looks pretty good. But yeah, better with it off for sure.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I am currently on Rtx 2080 Super and must say that performance with all ultra + DLSS is smooth and good looking on Battlefield 5. :)
In Tirraleur mission 70-90+fps. Cpu 9700K. DLSS good looks there.For me DLSS looks much better than without.

Well most games seem to promote crappy TAA, which is a blur fest. DLSS replaces AA if enabled and looks much sharper too with less blur in most cases.

like this
Its better to use the freestyle sharpen filter over old style dlss. Rumors on b3d indicates dlss 2.0 manual sharpening may be headed our way soon.

Yeap in Control DLSS 2.0 looking like using sharpening effect in gef expierience but its still better.

I was speaking more to image fidelity than performance.
The two are fairly directly related though - i.e., if one drops render resolution then uses a sharpen filter on the results, more performance should be achieved without fidelity dropping too much.

DLSS, implemented properly, or even a similar technology, should produce better performance results than a simpler sharpen filter while keeping fidelity the same, or better fidelity at similar performance.

like this
I'm a big fan of Radeon Image Sharpening and the whole concept (I haven't tried on Nvidia yet, but it should be comparable).

Sadly I gave my 4K monitor to my friend (and I'm using the TV I had in the living room) so I haven't been able to test at 4K (outside of VSR/DSR which kinds of defeats the point).

But based on my tests at 1080p, 900p was viable with RIS and gave a nice boost to performance. DLSS, IMO, looks way better, but RIS or FreeStyle can be applied to any game, which is much of the appeal.

I always liked the softer look of console games, something about it looks more "real" not sure how to describe it. So I actually like DLSS graphics better than native. Hopefully more games will get it.

Nvidia should have definitely come out with a more generic solution that could be broadly applied. I know we've talked about that before; they really missed that bus.

Perhaps they wanted to stay on-message with respect to ray tracing, especially given the negative feedback they had to have expected.

like this
Yeah, sadly the Nvidia proprietary features seem to never get wide adoption. I love DLSS, but I'm not sure it will ever be on every game (unless they take another approach).

That's why it's great that they worked with Microsoft (and Khronos) on ray tracing, that is shaping up to be a real standard as developers get up to speed.

like this
The problem with DLSS is that it is hardware on the GPU and requires training from nvidia. At least now, starting with the latest drivers, it's on a "global" driver level, so nvidia does NOT have to train each game anymore. The developer from my understanding just has to implement it. I thought that was the entire point of DLSS 2.0. Am I wrong? Basically the game developers just utilize it now, similar to RT and access the tensor cores.

The problem with DLSS is that it is hardware on the GPU and requires training from nvidia. At least now, starting with the latest drivers, it's on a "global" driver level, so nvidia does NOT have to train each game anymore. The developer from my understanding just has to implement it. I thought that was the entire point of DLSS 2.0. Am I wrong? Basically the game developers just utilize it now, similar to RT and access the tensor cores.

Your'e not wrong.

"One Network For All Games - The original DLSS required training the AI network for each new game. DLSS 2.0 trains using non-game-specific content, delivering a generalized network that works across games. This means faster game integrations, and ultimately more DLSS games. "

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-2-0-a-big-leap-in-ai-rendering/

The two are fairly directly related though - i.e., if one drops render resolution then uses a sharpen filter on the results, more performance should be achieved without fidelity dropping too much.

DLSS, implemented properly, or even a similar technology, should produce better performance results than a simpler sharpen filter while keeping fidelity the same, or better fidelity at similar performance.

DLSS 1.0 or whatever doesn't provide better IQ than a sharpen filter though. This has been shown many times by various sites.

It's Nvidias biggest downside, they can come out with some neat tech but then make it proprietary and it never sees widespread adoption because of it.

Back