• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

More AudioEngine A5s or should I try something else?

bencho

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
2,093
Got my first pair of A5s heavily discounted. $265 shipped; with the new binding posts too!

Now I'm regretting not buying two sets cause I love them. Now I'm looking for something to fill my living room with music and looked into them again but they are going for full retail price. I'm really looking at the Bamboo ones but at $450+shipping, it's tough to swallow compared to the price I paid my the white ones. If anyone knows any coupons they may have put out again, please LMK!

Other than that, anyone have any suggestions in the $200i-300sh range? Room is 20x22ish~ I plan to be adding a sub to this too down the line, most probably the Bic Venturi v1020 or v1220.
 
That's a maybe on that open box, not really a fan of that status as anything goes.


I think they sound great. dandragonrage:In a similar price range, what would be better? Must be powered*
 
Have you heard any other active monitors?

If you haven't, consider going to a Guitar Center and listen to the speakers they have on display.
 
Off the top of my head, I've seen/read about swans and krk but have never heard them myself. Friend had A5s and I liked them~ My old sets were klipsch promedia 2.1s, and then thx ultras setup as a 4.1

Haven't really read up on any others. Just throw some names out and I'll start reading up
 
Why must they be powered? Why is just getting some other speakers and a small amp like a "T-amp" (meaning a small Tripath-based amp) not acceptable? There are amplifiers available that are pretty cheap and small and open up your speaker options immensely.
 
Last edited:
I've always felt powered was the quick, simple, dirty solution to what I wanted. Never delved deeply into amps and just kept them at a distance. Where does one begin?
 
Is that a rhetorical question or do you actually want some links to amps that are cheap and small but decent?
 
I've always felt powered was the quick, simple, dirty solution to what I wanted. Never delved deeply into amps and just kept them at a distance. Where does one begin?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380 <-- This version delivers 15 or 10 watts per channel

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=300-383 <-- This version delivers 50 watts per channel

The first is a good place to start. Buy it and a set of passives of your choice (and there are ALOT of passives to choose from).
 
I love my A5's too, but they are *nearfield* monitors. For use in a larger space you should consider something else.
 
Back
Top