Moore's Law Marches on at Intel

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini today displayed a silicon wafer containing the world's first working chips built on 22nm process technology. The 22nm test circuits include both SRAM memory as well as logic circuits to be used in future Intel microprocessors.

"At Intel, Moore's Law is alive and thriving," said Otellini. "We've begun production of the world's first 32nm microprocessor, which is also the first high-performance processor to integrate graphics with the CPU. At the same time, we're already moving ahead with development of our 22nm manufacturing technology and have built working chips that will pave the way for production of still more powerful and more capable processors."

Anandtech has photos from the event. One of the cool things Intel showed was a mock Core i7 CPU had it been built with the 386's manufacturing technology, using 1000nm transistors instead of 45nm. The thing looks about 9"x6", and if it really existed it would require 1000w to power and have a clock speed of about 100mhz. Pretty cool and it really puts things into perspective.

Anandtech has photos from the event. One of the cool things Intel showed was a mock Core i7 CPU had it been built with the 386's manufacturing technology, using 1000nm transistors instead of 45nm. The thing looks about 9"x6", and if it really existed it would require 1000w to power and have a clock speed of about 100mhz. Pretty cool and it really puts things into perspective.

:eek:

And with no competition from AMD ....

Yeah this is bad. Competition is good and AMD dropping the ball so hard lately is really gonna hurt the ol pocket book come upgrade time. Maybe AMD will pull something out of their asses and surprise us.

This is too cool!

I'm 43, and it is shocking how far CPUs have came. I still have my 3rd computer from 1983, and Atari 800XL running a 6502 at 1.79Mhz. and only 65K of memory (48K addressable). It was Fast then...

My 4th was an Atari 1040St running a Motorola 68000 at 8Mhz and a whooping 1MB of memory! This puppy was screaming then, beating everything but maybe the Amiga.

Now a 22 micron monster. I wonder what it will be like in another 25 years.

I know experts keep saying we have reached the edge, but they keep finding way to push it faster.

I hope I live another 25 to watch it!

I hope I live another 25 to watch it!
I'm looking forward to the future of technology as well. I always wonder what it will be like in around 10 or so years seeing as how far we have come.

I'm looking forward to the future of technology as well. I always wonder what it will be like in around 10 or so years seeing as how far we have come.

put another zero on that maybe. shit hasn't changed much from 1999 to be honest, we all have cool cell phones now and the internet is a heck of a lot better but we still use lead acid batteries and nuclear fusion to make electricity. 50 years would be good enough, i really just want to see cheap unlimited electricity- once we have that the entire world's economy will flash everyone into royal living. that and i want to find aliens.

put another zero on that maybe. shit hasn't changed much from 1999 to be honest, we all have cool cell phones now and the internet is a heck of a lot better but we still use lead acid batteries and nuclear fusion to make electricity. 50 years would be good enough, i really just want to see cheap unlimited electricity- once we have that the entire world's economy will flash everyone into royal living. that and i want to find aliens.

Ahahahahahahaha.

Congrats for the continuation of Moore's Law. Every time someone accuses it of dying, it gives new life. Kudos and long live ML! :cool:

Really? Mass production of 45nm at the end of 2007, so under Moore's law we shouldn't we be at 22nm mass production today, not "comming real soon 32nm?"

Just think, that AtariST 68000 was 800nm tech (the Toshiba CMOS version) and 40,000 transistors at 8Mhz.

You could pack at least 16,000 on the same Intel die, and clock them at 4Ghz and have an ST that was 8 MILLION times faster, in just 25 years.

Holy shit if 25yrs from now it's 8 MILLION times faster than a i7.

Okay so electricity generation and storage is lagging behind. But the tech world has advanced beyond recognition since 1999.

Agreed about the electricity though. I cannot wait for the day self-sustaining nuclear fusion becomes practical. Think of how many of the world's problems will just go away overnight.

People will still be complaining about having to switch from Windows XP :D

That's some funny shit right there. Best laugh I had all day, thanks!

I'm still waiting for the quantum computers to show up. I seem to recall a bunch of articles a few years ago saying we would all be using them in several years...

I'm still waiting for the quantum computers to show up. I seem to recall a bunch of articles a few years ago saying we would all be using them in several years...

mee too. well, actually i DONT want quantum computers (all our security belong to them) but i would love to see quantum communication. we've proven its possible, i want to see it happen. who knows, when we make the first quantum telephone we might accidentally hack into the inter-galactic quantum internet.

Back