• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MONSTER sized HSF

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 12, 2002
Messages
2,634
This HSF weighs in at 1 pound 13 ounces (821 grams). The folks at Tom's Hardware say that this HSF exceeds every manufacturers tolerance range. Definately not one to use if you travel to LANs unless you remove it before loading up the car. Sorry if this is a repost, but I doubt that it is.
 
The CoolerMaster Hyper 6+ is 795.3 grams, or 1.75 pounds.....without the included fan.

Monster HSFs are cool. :D
 
Precisely why I used watercooling instead of high-end air cooling like this. A few other reasons are:
1. Probably won't fit my mid tower case
2. In my opinion, the risk of the heatsink breaking off taking the CPU, motherboard and graphics card with it is greater than a leak....
3. Read they can be very noisy if you want decent temps
 
The supersized tower coolers are actually quite quiet.

And I too would worry about the stress on the board, and it falling off onto my card and such.....but I have my board horizontal. :)
 
Tiny said:
The supersized tower coolers are actually quite quiet.

And I too would worry about the stress on the board, and it falling off onto my card and such.....but I have my board horizontal. :)

yeah i thought about buying a hyper 6...

but damn i cant stand having that thing hanging on top my GTX... paranoia sets in
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
arguably the best heatsink ever made (not just counting cooling power, but the intangibles)
1/3 the wait and 1/2 the price, XP-90 owns all :cool:
 
I think the Zalman 7700CU is still the biggest monster of them all, 923g! Thats the stuff motherboards nightmares are made of ;)
 
That's just 21g more than the Thermalright XP-90C w/ recommended cooler. The same cooler with a Tornado ups it to 865g.

But that thing looks a little too tall for my taste.
 
DarkBahamut said:
I think the Zalman 7700CU is still the biggest monster of them all, 923g! Thats the stuff motherboards nightmares are made of ;)
Luckily Intel and AMD have come to their senses. Goodbye 100+ Watt TDPs, hello sub-60 Watt TDPs :D

(anyone remember when the 300 gram limit of socket A was considered a lot?)
 
DarkBahamut said:
I think the Zalman 7700CU is still the biggest monster of them all, 923g! Thats the stuff motherboards nightmares are made of ;)

I would have to disagree. I still believe the CoolerMaster Hyper 6+ is the biggest offender mainly because of its height. The 7700CU isn't that tall, you have to take torque into account too.
 
I just had to make a mention of this, the original Hyper 6 weighed 950g (not sure if its w/ or w/o fan). But it used a 100% cooper heatsink. I'm guessing the engineers at cooler master realized their mistake since the Hyper 6+ uses all aluminum fins now... :p
 
I use a pair of CM Hyper 48's and they're 864g - Sir fragalot has a similiar setup to mine and marduk uses a pair of sonic towers... none of us has any problems so far :D
 
I have the Hyper 6+ and the Sonic Tower with fan. No problems here either. :)
 
Nah, those aren't big heatsinks. If you want big, try some of the rackmount stuff. ;)
The old 4-way Opteron rigs I used to sell have solid copper passive heatsinks, which have directed flow over them. These heatsinks are about 1.5" high, and extend past the bolts. In fact, the bolts are integrated into the heatsink's baseplate, which is about 1/4" thick. These things require special metal backplates to prevent flex.
I would be hard pressed to give you the precise weight, but I can tell you that they are a lot heavier than a Zalman 7700Cu. I know the shipping weight of the box they come in (as a 4-pack, of course) was over 9lbs. Which means these heatsinks have to weigh around 2lbs each at least. If they did not lay flat horizontal, I'd be scared out of my mind.
 
Not quite as fancy looking, but a monster none the less, the original Really Big Heatsink: The Alpha Pal-8045. Had one for several years now, 650grams of no nonsense thermal goodness. Gotta love it.
 
h2so4 said:
Not quite as fancy looking, but a monster none the less, the original Really Big Heatsink: The Alpha Pal-8045. Had one for several years now, 650grams of no nonsense thermal goodness. Gotta love it.

Reminded me of my Thermalright AX-7, now that was a classy heatsink :D
 
Well air cooling isn't really air cooling these days with heat pipes. It's just liquid cooling in disguise. I wonder in the future if heatpiping will be used alongside WC systems. I'm not sure how they'll be designed, but an interesting prospect nonetheless.
 
Back
Top