Monster Cable for 5.1 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeladonEQ

n00b
Looking at Klipsh's online store, in the accessories they were selling monster speaker cable, which sparked my interest. I figured since I was going all out with buying a set of Ultras, I might as well have the best possible audio quality. So, does anyone have said cable, or any experience with it? If high quality cable would improve my audio performance, I figure I should go for it.

NO.

Buy 12 gauge lamp cord at hardware store, connect Klipsch Ultras with it.

Use leftover money that would have been used to buy monster cable to bribe political officials for fun and profit.

We only get sick when we realize people actually buy that crap. :D

Edit: Horrible spelling

It's not that Monster Cable isn't good, because it is, it's just that it costs at least twice as much as it should.

You can get stuff just as good, for much much cheaper.

Originally posted by Thud
It's not that Monster Cable isn't good, because it is, it's just that it costs at least forty times as much as it should.

FIXT

my roomies ex used to work at bb, so he'd get all the monster a/v cables for about 4 bucks. when we were hooken up the home theatre we i had all ar stuff before switching to monster. there's a small improvement. but if you compared retail costs, it doesn't justify the x2348423423 increase in price. as for the speaker cable... dunno haven't used it.

Particularly amusing when those that purchase MC and the like use it to play MP3's and other lossy compressed media.

Errr I dont think ANYONE uses monster cable or any other expensive cable for their PC speakers.

They would use such cables for speakers on Hi-Fi or music listening or HT systems.

Originally posted by 3lite
Errr I dont think ANYONE uses monster cable or any other expensive cable for their PC speakers.

They would use such cables for speakers on Hi-Fi or music listening or HT systems.

oh so Klipsch just sells it for their ProMedias because they like the name? :rolleyes:

so Klipsch just sells it for their ProMedias because they like the name?

No, because the profit margin on Monster Cable is extremely high. :D This is also why BB and the major electronic retailers sell it ;)

I actually use a 10 FT (10 FT!) long fiber obtic MC for my receiver to soundcard connection and a bunch of 16 gauge MC to connect my speakers to my receiver. I was young and nieve when i bought the stuff. The optical cable is actually my second one (lifetime warranty) because the first one actually broke, the ends fell off, and i didn't even hurt it! It did it to itself! I didn't do it!

Hi,

My friend owns a Promedia 4.1 system. When he got the set, he instantly wanted to upgrade the cable because the shitty sound quality. He asked a friend who works at Circuit City, to give him a spool of Monster Cable. What he got was 100feet of 16gauge Monster Cable for $30. The downside of the Promedia 4.1's is that they use a 3.5mm jack to connect to the speaker. So I went out to RadioShack, got 4 3.5mm jacks, busted out my trusty soldering iron, and solder on the new jacks. Re-wire the whole system, and once done, played some music. OMG! The different was noticable. It was richer and clearer than the stock cables which I think were 22gauge or smaller. After noticing the difference, I asked my friend to ask his friend to get me a spool of Monster Cable and that's what I got on my Z560 system. If you can get them cheap, get it, but don't pay full price for them.

-Thanks

Originally posted by Zasboy
Hi,

My friend owns a Promedia 4.1 system. When he got the set, he instantly wanted to upgrade the cable because the shitty sound quality. He asked a friend who works at Circuit City, to give him a spool of Monster Cable. What he got was 100feet of 16gauge Monster Cable for $30. The downside of the Promedia 4.1's is that they use a 3.5mm jack to connect to the speaker. So I went out to RadioShack, got 4 3.5mm jacks, busted out my trusty soldering iron, and solder on the new jacks. Re-wire the whole system, and once done, played some music. OMG! The different was noticable. It was richer and clearer than the stock cables which I think were 22gauge or smaller. After noticing the difference, I asked my friend to ask his friend to get me a spool of Monster Cable and that's what I got on my Z560 system. If you can get them cheap, get it, but don't pay full price for them.

-Thanks

or just use lamp cable for cheaper, as previously stated

Originally posted by Seraphim974
I actually use a 10 FT (10 FT!) long fiber obtic MC for my receiver to soundcard connection and a bunch of 16 gauge MC to connect my speakers to my receiver. I was young and nieve when i bought the stuff. The optical cable is actually my second one (lifetime warranty) because the first one actually broke, the ends fell off, and i didn't even hurt it! It did it to itself! I didn't do it!

The nice thing about Monster products is that you can walk into any Ultimate Electronics and they give you a new cable on the spot, doesn't matter if you have a reciept or even bought it there, they have an open exchange with Monster. And there is nothing wrong with using Monster for PC either, it might be overkill in some cases but i have all monster cables hooking my PC into my Denon and everything hooked up to that. Good cables are important, and with Monster if I suspect they might be bad, I just replace them.

Monster cable, any kind, is hyped-up, over priced marketing. Don't waste your money on it, just get lamp cord or bulk speaker wire from Home Depot.

Any "OMG IT'S AMAZING IMPROVEMENT!!!" applying to MC is purely psychological, based on justification for $ spent.

If you are rich go ahead and buy monster cable, if not, it is not a good way to spend your money at all..

Originally posted by Seraphim974
If you are rich go ahead and buy monster cable, if not, it is not a good way to spend your money at all..

if you are rich go ahead and get some medical-grade silver cables :eek:

you know what sounds really good?

CAT 5 solid core cable with colored wires + and white ones -

some hi fi freaks think the POWER CORD makes a difference to the sound. LOL

So speaker wire is just speaker wire? No need for the fancy stuff because there's no discernable difference between say Monster cables and vanilla speaker wire that comes with a bundled speaker set?

And what's with lamp cord? I've never heard of that being used for speaker wire.

Originally posted by jmr
So speaker wire is just speaker wire? No need for the fancy stuff because there's no discernable difference between say Monster cables and vanilla speaker wire that comes with a bundled speaker set?

No, read the sticky. You know, the one that seems targeted right at you titled: "Newbs Read This: before asking about Speaker Wire" :p Monster is just decent, extremely overpriced cable

I heard Monster Cable is pretty good...

Haven't owned them myself...

All I got is some crappy Canare Quadstar... :(

But I would recommend Monster Cable anyway...

Cause Monster Cable gets you laid...

like others have said, read the cable sticky at the top of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back