Monitors don't come on during startup

verbel

Weaksauce
I just built a new machine and when I start the computer the monitors do not come on. I usually have to hard reboot it a few times before they start to display anything. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

What are the specs of your PC?

It could be that your case is shorting the motherboard. Reassemble the PC outside of the case and leave the motherboard on top of the motherboard box.

PC specs are as follows
CPU = Q6600
MOBO = GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
Video Card = EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS
RAM = 2Gb OCZ platinum
I hae no other issues but this one is bugging me allot. It only seems to do it after a long period of being off like after I get home from work or in the morning. After I have been using it for a bit I can turn it off go away for a while and come back and it turns on normally.

oops I meant to put that in my previous post. I have a Thermaltake Mozart TX and 2 Samsung SyncMaster 932bw's.

XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX12V 600W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL, CE, FCC, CB

I tried to start it severel timesthis morning with no success. When I power it on the CD drive lights up and the PSU fan starts going as well as the case fans but I get nothing on the screens, keyboard and mouse. Is my Mobo dead?

Is everything firmly seated in the slots (RAM, Vid Card, CPU power connection, etc.)?

Those are all things I've overlooked in the past which have produced the same results.

I'm pretty sure everything is in there tight but I will double check tonight when I get home.

Have you tested anything so far? pull out the ram and listen for error beeps? pull out the vidcard and listen for error beeps? unplug all drives to see if it will post? try another psu? try another vidcard? re-seat the cpu? i'd recommend doing all of that outside of the case, just set the mobo up on top of its own cardboard box with only the essentials plugged in for POST (no drives are needed for post, nor any add-on cards except the videocard, unless there's one onboard).

I have a similar problem. Nothing displays when I turn it on. When I power-off and restart, it boots up normally. It is very reliable in this way, always booting on the 2nd try.

Should I check the same things?

I first noticed the problem when I loaded all 4 sticks of ram. I was happy just getting it to work at all (5-5-5-15-2V).

Dell 3007WFP : 2X EVGA 8800 GTX : ASUS Striker Extreme 680i : Q6600 2.4GHz : 8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 : 4X Maxtor 500 GB RAID 0+1 : 2X Lite-On DVD/RW : 1200W Thermaltake : Antec P180 Silver : Logitech G15 : Razor DeathAdder : Rosewill 52-in-1 : Vista Ultimate x64

Sure, check the same things. With your setup, though, I'm guessing the board is having problems powering that last stick of ram. Try increasing the vDIMM.

well that took a long time to figure out. I after quite a bit of assembly and dissassembly I found the culprit. It was the video card. It seems that it was not getting a tight enough fit with the mobo, I think it was do to the clips my case uses to hold the card in and the weight of the card. I had to get some screws to tighten it in. I'm really glad it was such a simple thing I really didn't want to send any parts away to get fixed. I also did some cable maintenance and replaced my IDE cable with a round one and my temps have dropped by about 6 degrees.

Mabye I spoke to soon. It happened again today. It camo on right away the second time. I think there might be something wrong with my video card. Is it possible that it isent getting enough power? My PSU is supposed to be 600w. Any Ideas?

I looked up your PSU, and the specs are fine assuming they are true. Only thing I find a bit weird is that every good PSU I see is typically packed to the brim inside. In my Fortron 550w EPS12v powersupply there is literally not a square inch of free space inside and the thing weighs as much as a brick. Your powersupply apparently has enough free space inside to mount a huge 140mm fan, so...

A good start might be to unplug any unnecessary components such as extra hard drives, optical drives, fans, etc. Bring the load on the powersupply down a bit. I recently had a rig where it wouldn't boot with an X800XT but when I used an old PCI videocard just to test it it booted up right away. I got a bigger powersupply for that box and all the problems went away.

Can anyone explain the(an) exact mechanism by which a system would not start on the first try, but would on the second?

Can anyone explain the(an) exact mechanism by which a system would not start on the first try, but would on the second?

Things like fans and hard drives require a bit more power when they are first started than they do once they are already spinning. If it's tight, you might be able to start on a 2nd attempt if they are still spinning from the first attempt.

well I got a new PSU so now I guess I'll just have to wait and see if i still have issues.

Well my machine has been off for a while and I went in to turn it on and I had the same problem again. I know this PSU is good and its 650w. I'm really getting frustrated. I don't know what to do next. I guess I'll put my spare video card in and see what happens with that.

I got this too a few months back and it also seems to happen when my computer is cooler.

I think its still either the PSU or the mobo. If you get a good PSU, and it still happens, I'm guessing the mobo got ruined, or the power is dirty from the wall. Do you have a UPS with AVR?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702003

Its not the best but I think its better than the Xion which I've returned.

I actually think it may be worse. IIRC, the XION was similar to Hiper PSUs. The BFG is just... bleh. Here's a review:
http://jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=21

Please replace it with a better PSU.

This is the minimum PSU I recommend for most people. Its a solid CWT built unit with proper cooling, and can handle 28A on the +12V rails:
$50 - XClio GoodPower 500W ATX 500W

If you want better quality, bump up to the Stablepower line from XClio or the Enhance 5150GH 500W. The next up after that would be the Corsair 520W or 620W PSU.

I get this on one of my machines. On a cold boot, I have to turn off the monitor, then turn it back on. Try that- it is actually my monitor that doesn't work right when cold. It's been that way for a LONG time. I was told it has to do with syncing, whatever that meant.

The monitors are fairly new so I doubt and they hae worked fine with other machines. After I boot the PC I shut it down nd then it starts right back up normally.

you replaced a crap psu with another crap psu... do you have a non-crap psu you could try?

I tried making my other monitor the primary and it started right away. I'll wait until the morning before I make any other changes so I can see if this is the issue. I have a good warranty on the monitor so I hope that is the issue.

Im not sure if this will help as i am likely the least expereinced person here but i just build a computer this weekend and was havaing the same problem. However it turned out i didnt set the cpu and mount it down correctly. I hope this helps

I do not have a UPS but if the issue was dirty power from the wall wouldn't the problem affect the other computers as well?

well switching the monitors didn't help anything. I guess now I'll just wait until my new recommended PSU gets here.

Well I finally got my new PSU ( the recommended X Clio one) and I am still haveing the issue. So I guess I should try a new motherboard, Any suggestions?

Well I did a memtest just to rule out the memory and had 0 errors. I was only able to let it run for about 8 hours though.

Try reassembling the PC outside of the case, with the mobo laying on the mobo box to rule out any case shortage.

I tried that and get the same issue, I also tried with a different case with the same results.

Did you try a spare video card?

If nothing still doesn't show up, then the mobo is a dud. Time for a RMA.

yup i tried it with my old 800xl and I get the same issue. I contacted Newegg and they authorized me for a RMA. The only thing I'm worried about is my 30 warrenty with them is up on the 22 and theres no way the mobo will get to them by that date and they say that the RMA does not extend the warrenty period. So will I begood if it is postmarked before that date?

Well I got mt new mother board and now everything is working great. I'm glad I got that squared away.

Back