Monitoring Websites

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
Is there a passive, NON-inline solution to monitoring where people are going on the internet for our network. I know ethereal can do this, but it is going to give me EVERY packet that is coming in on our network. Can i break it down a bit more or is there another program that simply takes packets and puts it into a nice graphical view of what sites people are going to on the internet? Thanks ahead of time.

-km

btw- i have snort setup on a box and i also have a windows box running aimsniffer on it. It does not look like snort can do that unless running in packet logger mode but i need to keep it in NIDS mode. Can a windows program besides ehtereal be used?

Any port sniffer, set to listen to port 80, will grab (most) web traffic. You may want to invest in a program, such as WebSense, that will monitor/block/report on web sites your employees go to (but it won't be cheap).

I use this program, Cain, it is capable of doing just about anything that you may need. Just be carefull about using it in a network enviroment

Cain

-lw

Back