Monitor recommendation- Prosumer on a budget.

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
Need some help finding a monitor for my father.

He wants a larger screen for photo editing. 32" or larger, with reasonably good color reproduction. He's a pretty good photographer with decent hardware (Sony A77 II). However, he doesn't want to spend more than around $500-$600.

He IS an amateur, so he doesn't need actual gear.

Any recommendation?

32” or larger makes it tricky.
I recently picked up a 31mu97 for $450, but that was used and it’s “only” 31”. Probably the best bang for the buck in the segment. And it’s a legitimate entry level production monitor. Finding something >27” that isn’t garbage will be tough.

With your budget, I’d recommend checking the used market. You may be able to find a used NEC PA272 or Eizo. If you’re really on a budget then you can look into Dell Ultrasharps.

Whatever you buy i would check tftcentral for reviews and make sure it can do true 10-bit, has 100% Adobe RGB, and IPS.

Thanks for the info. This seems like an odd niche I've been asked to fill. For some reason, he wants to put a TV-sized panel on the wall behind his desk for photo editing. I just can't see it being a good experience.

Thanks for the info. This seems like an odd niche I've been asked to fill. For some reason, he wants to put a TV-sized panel on the wall behind his desk for photo editing. I just can't see it being a good experience.
I'm not sure if you roam the "Display" section of [H] often, but this actually a really common setup on here. I too can't really imagine something 40" and up being very comfortable, especially since they aren't making em' curved anymore, but a lot of people love em'. Maybe I'll give it a try one thing. Who knows, it might be nice.

Back