• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Monitor Orientation, Which Way Do You Play?

Which way do you play?

  • Landscape

    Votes: 49 41.9%
  • Portrait

    Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I Wish I Had 3 Monitors

    Votes: 51 43.6%

  • Total voters
    117
3 x Dell 19" 1280x1024 in landscape. Poor-man's eyefinity. Got all of them from pawn-shops for about $240 total. I can't play portrait because the vertical viewing angle is so bad. Also, when in portrait, because of the low resolution, it's quite hard to read web pages unless I zoom pretty far out.
 
Run 5 x HP LP2465 in portrait in my office and 3 x HP something 21" Landscape in the kids room
 
Three 30" Dell monitors in Landscape with a Dell 24" in portrait to review print images, etc.
 
desktop_2007_08_24.jpg

...
 
I'm trying to vote, but I am confused - what does this qualify as, landscape or portrait?


asymetric_six_monitors by rtangwai, on Flickr

I know from watching TV shows and movies that if a computer has that many monitors, it MUST be a super computer! :D

I honestly am not really interested in multiple monitors mainly due to the headaches with compatibility (games) and it just kinda looks weird. My ideal system would have a single 2560x1600 HP 30" screen.
 
Im using one 27" monitor atm. But I had 3x 22" in landscape mode before this. Portrait mode just feels like one very big TV with lines in the middle.

Anyway, I saw this picture on the frontpage:

13379757832aPmvUY1zx_1_4_l.jpg


What background is that on the triple monitor setup, I need!
 
PLP, 20" P, 30" L, 20" P
plus a 8" DVI utility display below it all for displaying guages for GPU temp/load, cpu temp/load, etc.
 
Im using one 27" monitor atm. But I had 3x 22" in landscape mode before this. Portrait mode just feels like one very big TV with lines in the middle.

Anyway, I saw this picture on the frontpage:

13379757832aPmvUY1zx_1_4_l.jpg


What background is that on the triple monitor setup, I need!

That would be my setup :), and that background is from mass effect, I just found it doing a google search for eyefinity wallpapers
 
I know from watching TV shows and movies that if a computer has that many monitors, it MUST be a super computer! :D

I honestly am not really interested in multiple monitors mainly due to the headaches with compatibility (games) and it just kinda looks weird. My ideal system would have a single 2560x1600 HP 30" screen.

Actually the lower center monitor is a Gateway XHD3000 30" 2560x1600.
 
Landtrait. :) LOL

Seriously, I voted landscape.

And someone's been watching Samurai Champloo it seems. :D
 
I change my setup from 5x1P to 3x1L a lot. Currently rocking 3x1+1 Landscape. My friend is using one of my 30"rs.
419949_3115066468319_1014161926_32640290_328227136_n.jpg
 
I'm all about the landscape mode. I have three ASUS VW224U's. I wanted to stick with 1680x1050 monitors, but there aren't that many great options out there for this size.
 
Three HP ZR24W's in landscape. I tried a few games that had FOV issues with landscape mode in portrait mode. 3600x1920, (15:8), is a lot closer to the 16:9 most games expect theses days than 5760x1200, (24:5) is, so there were fewer issue with games that really had an issue with the super wide fov.

I hate flopping the monitors back and forth on the triple monitor stand I have, so I just stuck with landscape, and adjusted my game buying to, games that support eyefinity/nfinity, or games the folks over at WSGF have figured out a reasonable fix for.
 
I know from watching TV shows and movies that if a computer has that many monitors, it MUST be a super computer! :D

I honestly am not really interested in multiple monitors mainly due to the headaches with compatibility (games) and it just kinda looks weird. My ideal system would have a single 2560x1600 HP 30" screen.

Agree 100 percent until they can lose the bezels. I will own one soon.
 
Been using 3xL here for about a year now. 3x28" HaansG running @ 5760x1200 in eyefinity mode. These panels have poor vertical viewing angles (TN) and have thicker bottom bezels which limit me to LLL. Given the 1200 vertical lines (16:10 ratio), vibrant colour and the large size they work pretty damn well in LLL mode considering I paid under $800 new for all three of them :)

If you're looking for a cheap eyefinity or surround setup they're hard to beat.
 
5x1P with 24" 1920x1200 screens. Still need one in landscape for watching video though.
 
I use 3 Dell U2412M monitors in portrait. 3600x1920. Scaling cutscene video results in two relatively small black bars on the right and left. Scaling in landscape would mean two unused monitors, and when playing most games the left and right monitors are mostly over-stretched, so you don't see that much more. On top of that it takes up way more desk space.

Ideal setup for me would be PLP with one 2560x1600 30" monitor in middle and two 1600x1200 4:3 monitors on the sides in portrait. Videos would scale up to the 30" monitor for cutscenes and video better than PPP setups do, and you wouldn't get the annoying ultra-wide, ultra-stretched game view of LLL. Problem with it is that it costs so much more. $2160 for the three PLP monitors vs the $900 I spent on mine. It's not worth the million more pixels to me. 15% increase in pixel count for 240% of the cost.
 
LLL for me, I watch a lot of videos on my computer as well as playing games. PPP just seems like having a big TV with more pixels and bezels.
 
PLP here: 2007FP, 3007WFP, 2007FP.

Poll need PLP as 4th option tbh.

Ditto.

PLP is perfect for me.

2007FP-U3011-2007FP

6663592717_ea3020d8ec_b.jpg


3 30" monitors I feel would be too much.

In landscape they would just be too wide, and in portrait I feel the bezels on th eleft and right side would feel too close to the center of the screen.

I just wish there were a more reliable way than SoftTH to get games to use all three screens in this kind of setup.

Makes no sense to me why Nvidia/AMD haven't incorporated a custom screen setup for games, just like the windows desktop setup, where you tell it where your monitors are and what orientation they are in, and it lets you use any combination you'd please.
 
Zarathustra[H];1038776455 said:
I just wish there were a more reliable way than SoftTH to get games to use all three screens in this kind of setup.

You also know about the windowed method though, right? Getting the game running in windowed mode, then using something like shiftwindow to move the titlebar off the screen..
 
You also know about the windowed method though, right? Getting the game running in windowed mode, then using something like shiftwindow to move the titlebar off the screen..

I'm aware that people do this, but I have yet to try it myself.

Maybe I'll give it a try in the near future...
 
3xU2412m

Currently playing Portal 2 in portrait. Mainly because desktop usage is in portrait as I find it far more efficient for work and more of a pain to rotate just to play a game for 30 minutes at a time. I was actually surprised 1) how immersive PPP is and 2) how little I noticed the bezels.

But I plan on flipping to landscape for racing games.
 
Back
Top