Monitor Modding

Luck and the amount of energy really has nothing to do with it. It is mearly where the energy is discharged across in your body. You could hypothetically discharge 20A thru the two sides of your finger, and you'd live, but loose your hand to 3rd degree burns.

Luck and the amount of energy have a lot to do with it dumbass.

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
Luck and the amount of energy really has nothing to do with it. It is mearly where the energy is discharged across in your body. You could hypothetically discharge 20A thru the two sides of your finger, and you'd live, but loose your hand to 3rd degree burns.

I see no reason to start name calling over this issues. I would assert that luck has nothing to do with it because with a capacitor, the chances of the 2 leads or their connecting wires touching on either side of the heart, spinal cord, etc to be very slim to none. Furthermore, as I've already said, for death by electricity the amount of energy is relativly unimportant, simply because of the very small amount required to kill, depending on what it flows through.

I see no reason to start name calling over this issues. I would assert that luck has nothing to do with it because with a capacitor, the chances of the 2 leads or their connecting wires touching on either side of the heart, spinal cord, etc to be very slim to none. Furthermore, as I've already said, for death by electricity the amount of energy is relativly unimportant, simply because of the very small amount required to kill, depending on what it flows through.

Depends on the resistance of your blood. :p

it doesnt matter where on your body you get zapped. your body has very high resistance, and therefore the charge will spread all over your body searching for a path. Your heart will feel it. Secondly, the amount of energy is very important. Sure it takes a small amperage to throw the heart off, but in order to have that amperage, you need a great load of voltage. The different between 12 volts vs 300 volts vs 12,000 is whats going to tell whether you live or die, more than any other factor.

Skin resistance: ~500K - 1M Ohm
Hemoglobin (Rust) and electrolyte filled blood resistance: ~100 Ohms

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html
(Questionable source on the death itself... yes, well informed on internal resistance and the like, yup)
The different between 12 volts vs 300 volts vs 12,000 is whats going to tell whether you live or die, more than any other factor.

So, if I lick, say, a car battery charge which has an output in the range of ~12-20v, and a peak amperage of 100A, I have a lower chance of dying vs. say, a Van de Graaff generator operating at ~400,000V :eek: , but with say, a 10 MICROamp current. Why don't you die from Van de Graaff generators, then? Luck, no. It's all about where that electricty is discharging through.

... But I thought voltage, not amperage, was the primary factor in death by electricity. :rolleyes:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html As much as I don't trust our Government, OSHA.gov is still a good source of information

Oh, and ’m‚³‚ñ, agreed. Now, get out the VOM and the knife, and measure! :D

edited because I found some more info on the resistance of the human body

Skin resistance: ~500K - 1M Ohm
Hemoglobin (Rust) and electrolyte filled blood resistance: ~100 Ohms

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html
(Questionable source on the death itself... yes, well informed on internal resistance and the like, yup)

So, if I lick, say, a car battery charge which has an output in the range of ~12-20v, and a peak amperage of 100A, I have a lower chance of dying vs. say, a Van de Graaff generator operating at ~400,000V :eek: , but with say, a 10 MICROamp current. Why don't you die from Van de Graaff generators, then? Luck, no. It's all about where that electricty is discharging through.

... But I thought voltage, not amperage, was the primary factor in death by electricity. :rolleyes:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html As much as I don't trust our Government, OSHA.gov is still a good source of information

Oh, and ’m‚³‚ñ, agreed. Now, get out the VOM and the knife, and measure! :D

edited because I found some more info on the resistance of the human body

NO problem with the knife, but I don't have a VOM. :p

i don't know what kind of disposable cameras you buy, but on a flight from frankfurt to san francisco, me and my friends broke one open and shocked ourselves for fun (it was a long flight). the worst it did was make your finger or knee or whatever you shocked twitch for a couple minutes. disposable cameras are not that dangerous-i speak from experience:eek:

’m‚³‚ñ said:
I know someone who was almost killed by a capacitor in a disposable camera.

The capacitors in disposable cameras reach a maximum of about 400v with rather low wattage. Not nearly enough to kill you, but plenty enough to leave some scar tissue on your nutsac.

Note to remember: Don't touch capacitors to nutsac.

’m‚³‚ñ said:
I know someone who was almost killed by a capacitor in a disposable camera.

I killed a capacitor the size of a hand grenade...got it before it got me ;) BOOM!

LOL

MD

Back