Monitor for productivity work (32" 4k or 40" 5k) - replacing a Benq SW320 - was thinking of Asus Rog Swift OLED PG32UCDM but.....šŸ˜±

JargonGR

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

My Benq SW320 needs to be replaced (red line) and I am looking for a new main monitor (also using a second monitor - Dell G2723D 2560X1440 @120Hz).

I don't game at all but would like the option once in a while. I work up to 10 hours a day and in some cases the monitor could be on for even 18 hours. Desktop work (web development & Adobe Creative Suite so UI elements are always there).

I was thinking of getting the new Asus ROG Swift OLED PG32UCDM that also has great color space coverage (even Adobe RGB) but then I got scared when reading about burn-in issues, especially for my use case.
Then I was looking at the Dell U4025QW and this review also put me off - RTINGS Dell U4025QW Monitor Review
They say that it has terribkle ghosting???

Here I am again about 5 years after I bought the SW320 for professional use and getting a monitor is still the hardest HW choice!

From my understanding right now in order to also move away from the ancient 60hz refresh rate, my only options are professional monitors like that - Asus Pro Art PA32UCG
This Asus supports 120Hz

I would prefer to spent less than that but I really don't know where to look at and I don't want to buy another monitor with 60Hz refresh rate to stare at all day!

Any suggestions?

I'd avoid oled for your usage (too static) , but you could get a mini led monitor, or a plain ips high refresh 4k monitor like the m32u as a basic option. There are a lot of different ones that would be fine.

You shouldn't need to spend more than $500-600 for a basic 144hz 32", or $350-400 for a basic 27".

For mini led, there are a lot of 27" options such as the ktc monitor that are solid at around $600. 32" mini led runs a lot for some reason.

60 Hz isnt bad, unless you need to work on high refresh (video) content.
while it might be different for some, i rather have synced 60 (g-sync or vrr), than anything above it thats only using v-sync. even with movies/videos its a better experience, especially on compressed/re-encoded stuff.

having seen LGs next to "my" sonys, running store demos for about a year (from 9-9 every day), the LGs experienced image retention (mainly on green), while the sony using the same (LG) panel did not,
so most problems seem to be related to sw/fw and anything thats implemented (like pixel shift) to counter IR/BI, and not really the panel (or tech) itself.

if you plan on using it past 5y, might be an issue, but outside that, i dont see a problem using oled (just use the "wipe" feature at the min hour of use its recommended), but i dont see the gains for your use,
especially since there are now led driven screens that perform almost identical (black levels).

Well to be honest having the Dell (which at 120hz) next to the BENQ SW320 for quite some time I can't say that the 60Hz bothers me.....I use the 27 for typing/reading text and the 32" for designing and web dev.
I need quite a lot of desktop space for web development since my toolset (left & right - or even split browser tabs) can take advantage of it. At 32" 4K I am satisfied but seeing the 40" 5K Dell has me thinking of how cool all this real estate is.
I have a big desk that will get even bigger (soon) since I have a lot of space to even fit 3X 32" monitors side by side. No need for that of course.

GoldenTiger I want at minimum 4K 32" and with proper color support since it will be used for some print jobs too. I could keep the Benq on service though just for color checking since despite the thin red line (which dissappears sometime) it still has hardware calibration support and full Adobe RGB - it is a 10bit panel.

To make it easier, I was thinking of something at the $1800 range if it is worth it. The 40" Dell is there but the ghosting issues mentioned in the RTINGs review is something that might bother me or might not, don't know it's relatively new and can't find a lot of user feedback.

not sure how relevant ppi is to you, but why not look at some 48-55in tv"s?

i have the 50X90J mainly for size and vrr/120Hz refresh, but with 90 series and above using 10 bit panels, dont show color banding/motion issues and are color calibrated out of the box (for non-gaming), i prefer this over any large screen
sold as "moni".
maybe oled, but i wont get a 65in (yet), as that was the only size where sony would offer surface audio and support of external sub for LF.

and as long as im on the game/graphics profile, lag feels like any of my non- gaming monis from asus/benq/acer/aoc/Iiyama/samsung i had in the past 20y.

not sure on your location,guessed U.S.

48 oled

55 miniLed

Last edited:
Unless you used OLED before or played around with one in a store I would avoid OLED for productivity. Text clarity has improved in the past few years, but its still significantly worse than LCDs, particularly in MS Office products.

I am not going OLED, I honestly don't game and never watch movies on my PC (we have TVs for that) so it's 99% work. After doing some research I think I am going to go with the Dell U4025QW and call it a day.
I really can use the extra resolution, it's great for office/productivity use according to users, great text clarity which is critical to me, great color space support even Adobe RGB over 95% which I occasionally need, and KVM with thunderbolt 4 and 140w power delivery to connect my laptop too. The only issue is some ghosting that is exaggerated on on the review compared to monitors intended for fast fps games or fast moving video - neither of those are important to my work. I just need proper connectivity (the Dell is great) and some extra resolution on the sides, it is 5120X2160 @ 120Hz. It will be useful for work no matter what until it "dies".

at least if i can go by past reviews i have seen, most ghosting seems to come from using the "max" for any of those "improvement" settings.
e.g. dialing it down 1 (sometimes 2 steps) can make a big difference, while not affecting use as much (outside gaming).

at least if i can go by past reviews i have seen, most ghosting seems to come from using the "max" for any of those "improvement" settings.
e.g. dialing it down 1 (sometimes 2 steps) can make a big difference, while not affecting use as much (outside gaming).

yes I read some user feedback about it in reddit and honestly since I am not playing games i doubt I will notice it. Even the guys from rtings admitted that it is a perfectly fine office/productivity monitor and will make it to their recommendations for that kind of usage.

My current BENQ SW320 is not breaking any records in response times either, it is definitely slow by today's standards and when I first got it I played and finished Doom 2016 on hard on it without caring about any ghosting. Damn I have only played 4-5 games during the last 7 years and most were old (Witcher 1 & 2, Tomb Raider and that kind of stuff).

Now there is no time for gaming - I have piled up several projects I need to deliver and everyday I delay it's delaying my payments so no games for the foreseeable future. When I make some free time, I need to stay away from the screen, train and go out, spend time with kids and spouse.

i remember when i got my fist Iiyama, something around 25ms in worst case szenario, but a friend playing FPS in pvp had it in use already, one of the best monis i ever had (for that kind of tech).

Hey JargonGR , if you do get the U4025QW, please report back with how you find it. It's on my shortlist as it seems to tick pretty much every box for me, but I'm wary of spending that much on a monitor unseen. Thanks :)

Hey JargonGR , if you do get the U4025QW, please report back with how you find it. It's on my shortlist as it seems to tick pretty much every box for me, but I'm wary of spending that much on a monitor unseen. Thanks :)

Since I don't see anything else like this Dell on the horizon (I think Dell scored some exclusivity with LG??), yes I intend to buy it but yes the price is high. If I do get it it will be around July if at the earliest and this given that I will have paid my kids school tuition fees first. Otherwise, it will be a buy for the 4th quarter. Meanwhile my Benq SW320 decided to repair itself and now there is no red line for the last 4-5 days.......it is REALLY weird, it happens at the beginning of each summer, lasts for a month and then goes away. Something to do with temperature/humidity - really weird but this begun after the second year and then it stops.

The Dell seems like a great work monitor choice (price aside) - Iā€™m interested in hearing more user impressions.

It looks like LG has a curved 40ā€ 5k IPS 120 hz monitor as well, but I havenā€™t seen any reviews.

Back