monitor for "dark games" - eg. mass effect

curio124

n00b
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
5
I need some monitor, that is fast enought to play games wihtout distorting textures or object edges (most notable on grass or trees) and is able to display black image without distortion (color/contrast tints like white glow with IPS)

I've got some older Samsung TN monitor - TN is absolutely out of discussion - pure black screen in dark room is min. 1/4 ruined with silver/bronze tint.

Than I bought Dell 2711 - IPS - this is awesome monitor. It's fast enought (no ghosting even in pixperan), beautifull colors (I like wide gamut with oversaturated colors in non managed applications) and excelent viewing angles. Antiglare filter is bad, but not realy a problem. Reason I'm looking elsewhere is IPS white glow, which absolutely destroy black/dark images altought with straight view (altought looking directly to the center of the monitor, edges are under some viewing angle and there is very notable white glow).

So I bought VA panel - NEC EX231Wp. Picture was perfect. Black was so good, that I can barely see where the screen ends in completly dark room. I was really amazed and I do not notice any "black crush". Superb - until the picture moves. I known, that this monitor do not have any RTC but I thought that it will not matter. But unfortunately it's almost as bad as 10 years old monitors. Games are absolutely unplayable and text is almost completly lost when moving window. Very very bluring with every movement.

So I changed this super monitor for Samsung S24A650D which have panel with same contrast (3000:1) but with RTC. Unfortunately 2 things happend - panel is notable worse than nec (nec have samsung's pva and samsung have mva from other manufacture). Black was not so good (but definitely better than on dell 2711), there was some slight bleeding on edges but worst was the "black crush". On black screen there is "blacker" spot in the place where are you looking. So when you move your head, this spot is moving along. And more - even with RTC, this monitor is still very slow. Games are now playable, but textures is till notable blury while moving and when you play some games with stars (eg. solar 2), all stars are gone when the sky is moving.


soooooo... is there ANY good solution for playing games with not ruined dark scenes?

i'v got also plasma tv - its what i want. Picture is awesome, black is black and response time is unmeasurable. But smallest one is something about 40" and there is image retention )-:

I known that OLED will solve everything, but when it will be byuabe? 2015? What till then?

I'm now considering 3 things:
1. is there some IPS panel with not so notable white glow? (I know that it's technology problem, but then again - VA NEC monitor has almost no "black crush" while same VA technology in Samsung monitor has very notable "black crush")
2. is there som VA panel wich is speed enought to not blur everything?
3. I like new 120hz TN panels - for games 120fps will be great improvement (and i have good GPU for 120fps). But - are these new TN panel as bad as old ones? I do not want to look from angles - but my old TN has even with the straight look huge tint on black images.


thanks for any advice...
 
Dell ST2220T, used/re-sold NEC LCD2490/2690WUXi-BK (not WUXi2)

The Dell is small, but I believe that it uses a S-IPS variant so it has a less intrusive blue glow.

Used Dell 2408WFP or 2709W which should be more responsive than the NEC.

Or the HP Dreamcolor LP2480ZX ($$$$$$$$$$$$)

New TN panels have the same revolutionary viewing angles as before. If you didn't like them then, you won't be changing your mind now. There is still noticeable color change from top-to-bottom unfortunately.

Did you try different gamma settings on the Samsung S24A650?
 
i guess the ex231wp is a c-pva?
they're known for being extremely slow

but there are s-pva and a-mva too which are about 3 (or more) times faster and share all advantages of va panels
 
thanks for answers - i'll look for st2220T... I would like to have wuxi1, but don't think I can find one )-:

and yes - i was trying all settings possible - VA panels was always slow, and ips (dell 2711) - hmmm... now I'm using brigthnes on 10% and the white glow is... let's say - acceptable...
 
Image retention on modern plasmas, while something to be aware of, isn't a huge issue. Fairly certain all modern plasmas use some form of pixel shiting to make sure they don't get retained. Just make sure you don't have the brighness cranked way up, and you're out of the break in period.

Not quite as plug and play as an lcd, but its workable.
 
thanks for answers - i'll look for st2220T... I would like to have wuxi1, but don't think I can find one )-:

and yes - i was trying all settings possible - VA panels was always slow, and ips (dell 2711) - hmmm... now I'm using brigthnes on 10% and the white glow is... let's say - acceptable...
save your self time on that st2220T i just return to dell , it is dark but still not as dark as my 20wmgx or the apple i had , im try the dell 2412 next , and just take the antiglare film off , scree suppose to hit .13 black level
 
I just started playing though mass effect 1/2 this past weekend using the s24a650d, the games were playable outside of mass effect 1 being a horrible port. Only way I really noticed issues was if I was "trying" to force ghosting to happen. My previous monitor the Dell 2209wa, showed all the same issues the s24a650d have, but having much better picture. Your like me, and I care more about having good blacks/whites.

To answer your questions

1. Good luck? Wish there was one. I sent back 5 different ones before giving up. Using sub 50% brightness is no fun when playing games.
2. I would say VA panels are acceptable for non-hardcore gamers. Just don't be actively looking for the blur and you should be good.
3. TN panels have gotten better but with all the ones have sent back I have given up on them. The new BenQ 120hz one looks good, but I don't know how it performs on what your looking for. If I were to send my s24a650d monitor back I would most likely good with that one.

Option 4?
Use 2 monitors? One for every day use and other for gaming? For the price of a u2711 you can have both the s24a650d and the BenQ.


I would save your money and stay with the s24a650d and get the first good affordable OLED monitor. I decided to save myself the difference from not getting the u2711 and just wait it out.
 
Ya it's a shame they haven't come up with an LCD that can handle all aspects of PQ well (OLED shows promise) I currently have a Samsung 2333T (CPVA) which displays a nice deep black and shadow details but has noticeably worse motion handling than the Samsung PX2370 (TN) sitting next to it.

I tend to play more games on the 2333T and deal with the motion blur but when I want the best of both worlds i'll use my Pioneer 5080HD Plasma, It blows both LCDs away in motion clarity (especially @ 60fps) and dark scenes in games look amazing.
 
Back
Top