Monitor distortion - Samsung S23A700D

Quiz

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
1,103
Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeBx1cB5m4

Sometimes, when my monitor wakes from a sleep, half of the screen will be distorted. I noticed, when I made this video, that if I open the Internet browser, the screen will be fine but only the parts of the screen exposing the desktop will be distorted (top most and bottom most of the browser window). But then, if I watch a video in full screen in the browser, half of the screen will be distorted again. If I turn off the monitor and then turn it back on, the distortion will be gone. Does this sound like a monitor issue, a graphics card issue, or something else?
 
I think I might have a reason for why the distortion disappeared when I opened the browser. I have hardware acceleration enabled in the browser and I think that might have something to do with the distortion disappearing. When I viewed the video in the browser in full screen, hardware acceleration was disabled and thus the distortion returned. Next time the distortion happens, I'll open up a game to see what happens. If it goes away, then I think I might have some problem with 2D. This would point to the graphics card, correct? Note, I've seen the same half-screen distortion during the BIOS post screen so I know it's not a driver issue.
 
I personally don't own either of these monitors, and I don't know of a sure way fix it, but here is something you can try.

Are you using the dual link DVI cable that came with the monitor? If not, try using it. You could also try switching to the other DVI port on your GPU (I'm assuming it has two).
 
Yes, I am using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. If the distortion happens again, I will try using the other DVI port on my graphics card.

However, if you watched my video in the first post, you will notice that the distortion went away when I opened my browser window. I think it is because I have hardware acceleration enabled. This would point to the graphics card rather than to the monitor, correct?
 
Try a different browser and/or video card, and if you have a different monitor try that too.

If you had a different monitor before and it wasn't doing this with the same setup then the monitor is likely the problem.
 
Distortion happened again today. This time it was really bad. The monitor woke from a sleep and there were just solid patches of colors over the screen and I couldn't read/see what was on the screen at all, expect for the bottom part of the screen (still distorted but could make out what was on the screen). I then pressed the menu button on the monitor and it was distorted as well but I could read it (probably because it was on the bottom part of the screen that could already be sort of read). If the menu was also distorted I would think this points to the monitor, correct? Turning off the monitor and back on fixed the distortion. Still have to try another graphics card though. By the way, I've noticed it happens nearly exactly every two weeks.
 
Just to see what would happen, I ran the monitor from the second DVI port on my graphics card for a while. This resulted in a different distortion (just rainbow colored dots on the screen versus like running 16 colors on DVI port 1) but the circumstances where the same (i.e. only when the monitor wakes from a sleep and distortion is fixed by turning the monitor off and then back on).

Since I can play games for hours and everything is fine as long as the monitor stays on, I guess the graphics card is fine? Would you say so? But then how come I got a different style of distortion when I changed the DVI ports on the graphics card?
 
Back
Top