Monitor Choices Gaming & YouTube

azeem40

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2012
Messages
240
Which is better for gaming: IPS or TN, and what size is best? If you say one or the other, please provide the monitor you think is best for me. I will be playing Runescape, Skyrim, and BF3 mainly. I can spend up to $270. I will be using an i5-2500k and a Radeon 7950.
Thanks.

EDIT: Will also watch youtube videos. My preferred resolution is either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. Idk which one is best.
Also, what IPS should I choose if you say to go with IPS?

EDIT2:
My preferences are:
Low input lag
Nothing higher than 1920x1200
High Pixels Per Inch
LED Backlighting preferred but not required
Good contrast ratio
Can use Portrait and Landscape mode
 
Last edited:
TN panels look horrible in portrait mode and your budget is to low for IPS unless you search craigslist for a used one.
 
How about e-IPS?

EDIT: What budget would I need to get a good IPS monitor?
 
Last edited:
Check out the dell ST2220T it beats most ips and tn for its size and price , it actualy been said to have better pq than the apple or dell 2711 cuase of its contrast ratio and deep blacks
 
If it can't be rotated, can you suggest a monitor stand that can support tri-monitors in horizontal or vertical orientation incase I go eyefinity in the future?
 
How about I buy a vesa monitor and a monitor arm? That way I dont have to get ips? Total for both would be 250.
 
Without a doubt....go for the Dell U2412M, once calibrated it is comparable to my $1400 NEC PA271W-SV in bluray movies and games, it has slightly darker black, slightly less AG coating, use significantly less power, runs cooler, zero light bleed, excellent uniformity, no tinting issues, and brighter white due to W-LED. I LOVE this little monitor, for $320 this is an extremely good monitor, one of the best 24" IPS panel under $600 IMO.
 
I am 100% IPS now. :) WOW, that looks like a great monitor! Thanks for the suggestion! Luckily I have this at a local sears so I can check it out!

I am very indecisive when it comes to buying monitors, so I am trying to make sure I get a very good deal.

EDIT: One question: If I get this monitor, what monitor arm would you suggest I get? It also sucks that this monitor has no DVI or DisplayPort.
 
Last edited:
Is 16:10 still good for videos (any kind, not just youtube)?

Yes, connected to a PC the computer will scale everything perfectly for you. And with16:10 you can watch 16:9 video and still have the controls on the screen without covering the video image.
 
How well would BF3 be with the U2412M on one 7950? How about the u2412M in eyefinity with 2 7950s?
 
Back
Top