Monday's suck

notarat

2[H]4U
So I woke up yesterday morning, flipped the light on, took a step, and the room was dark again. WTF?!

Nope, bulb didn't blow...I lost all power in the house. How'd I know so quickly that I lost power? All my UPS units were beeping like the Fukishima reactor alarm system after a tsunami.

Looked out the window and no one else had power either...

Great...it's all of 9°F outside and I have no power...what a way to start a Monday.

So I get my ass into the shower ASAP so I can shower and get ready for work before the hot water turns cold, using a flashlight so I don't cut my throat shaving.

Get to work fighting traffic at each intersection since the traffic lights weren't working, and I managed to have a pretty productive day for a Monday...especially considering the crappy start.

Head home feelin' pretty good about being able to salvage a decent day from a crappy start and discover that I have no internet. Oh yeah...I gotta power on those UPS units I powered down, D'Oh!

Power everything back up and still have no internet...Hmm...How odd.

I go through the process of unplugging the router and cable modem, waiting 20 seconds, plug in the cable modem, wait for it to boot up all the way, then plug in the router and wait for it, then power on the computer and log in...

Still no internet...

I "can" stream from PC to my TVs, and my Tablets can connect from my AP (which is plugged into the Router) to the computers on the LAN side, as well as control my TVs and DVD Players which are also connected to the LAN side

*sigh* Don't tell me my WAN port is dead...Just don't.

I bypass the D-Link DGL-4100 and connect the computer straight to Surfboard modem.

Success! I have Internet!

I reset the router to factory specs, go through the power cycle process, and reconnect the cables, then boot up.

No Internet.

Damn...Looks like my D-Link GDL-4100's WAN port is dead, afterall.

I need to confirm the WAN or the Cable Modem is bad so I pull a NIB TPLink 10/100 Router off the shelf and connect it to test the WAN connection. I have Internet!

Crap...

So now I'm using this el cheapo TP Link 8 Port router/residential gateway and I need to order a replacement.

I head to Amazon today and start looking and there are only 4 wired-only routers offered for sale on EARTH...(It's an exaggeration, I know...)

I ended up buying an Asus RT-N66U off Amazon with 1-Day shipping so it should arrive tomorrow.

I guess I should be happy that I get new gear, but I'd rather not have to deal with the headache, tbh

I've only used 2 routers since the 90's liked this D-Link once I tweaked it a bit to make it more secure...Anyone here use the Asus unit? It seemed to have decent reviews but I have no experience with their networking equipment (or anyone other than D-Link for that matter)

Cool story.

I have the Asus RT-N66 as well. Very solid piece of hardware and should suit 99% of most home users needs, including yourself.

I imagine that sucks ... knowing you have to go to work already hearing 300 people griping and yanking cords out of ignorance and impatience takes sooooo much longer and so many patience just bc the electricity is volatile ... still people wont buy battery backups or use recommendations, but they sure complain when 'i told you so' seems to sink in and readily be forgotten.

Not to threadcrap, I know the feeling, so i flip on my 4g and go straight to my towers rather than my store. My oh my the internet i can do with or without but facebook games are like painkiller for old people and games are crack for kids trying to quick snipe at peak hours when paying for a minimal speed connection

sometimes no internet is so peaceful ... now watch me have no power tomorrow ...

N66U is okay. I couldn't find any well priced, wired consumer routers, either.

I used to be all out d-link, but for a period of time, their consumer wireless routers were bundled with junk PS bricks that degraded over time. I have since replaced all of my d-link units with ASUS wifi routers of varying vintage (all but one used as wired routers, with the wireless radios disabled in the software).

Hopefully your Tuesday was better? :)

I just got the new AC68R which is the newer dual core AC version. Its a beast. The price tag hurt but its really showing to be worth it!

I oppose the spectrum. I got another what we call 'sparky' today. a Linkysys wrtg54xxx. We call them sparky because 2 of them have blown sparks from the DC connector when connecting them. Today I landed a vintage version 8, 20 minutes later it went from unable to hold a static IP, to showing realtime graphs using open-wrt ... might I add at a wopping 260mhz *which is great for 7yearss ago, ubiquiti CPUs only run at 400mhz* but yea ... its my new favorite dog. It's taken forever to collect a POS sparky unstable flashable router,

WINNING!

mc8g.jpg

Back