Monarch Computer Bites the Dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazy people. :p Post #8 as requested:
I ordered one...unfortunately.
I did get a board...Its just not a H8QC8.
They shipped me a Tyan S4882, in a Super Micro box. Bastages...
Now I gotta fight with my bank to get my money back.

Caveat Emptor.....

I did get a board...Its just not a H8QC8.
They shipped me a Tyan S4882, in a Super Micro box. Bastages...

sounds exactly right for a company liquidating it's remaining stock, ship them whatever we have, in any box it will fit in, and call it a day....

If they don't ship you what you ordered, that is what you have a cc for.

I had a vendor do that once on my discover, and discover said "your problem", so I cancelled my discover.

I had that on my amex, and amex gave the vendor the smackdown.

What kind of recourse do I have with them if ...:

In may I purchased a vid card from them; it came to me DOA; I sent it back and did a charge back. (my CC ended up siding with monarch because monarch said they were giving me a credit).

11/8 I made a purchased and 'tried' to use my credit; and have made numerous phone calls/messages/emails to no avail. They are not honoring my credit and have given me the run-a-round for over a month. (I can see why now since they have closed the doors). And want to take my money and run.

I called my CC company again and they said I could send them somthing but they said most likely it wont help.

So what recourse do I have here? (I just want the money which is owed to me).

so unfortunate... i built a system from their parts... recently bought a p5w dh deluxe from them, worked great...

the margins in the PC parts business are just so razor thin on most items... the only reason a company like Newegg does so well is because

a) insane automation
b) inventory turnover, they can move a lot of product
c) not offering any kind of specialty product line (monarch hornet box) so not responsible for any real in-house tech issues.
d) keep costs low

Everyone wants rock bottom prices and top-notch customer service, but those two things are generally closely related. I, personally, will pay $10 extra to get a product if it means the company will be there until the end of the warranty period.

It kind of upsets me to hear about people wanting rock bottom prices and the best customer service. I worked in an industry (auto insurance) where this was always the case. No one ever wanted to think about their auto insurance.... until they rear end someone in traffic and find out it's all their fault. And many people felt like paying any positive amount of cash for premiums was too much (mostly because they can't take their Insurance policy home and put it on their TV stand and watch it).

Anyway, really sad to see Monarch go... hopefully they'll come back another day..

That is a shame, the monarch rep worked with me to get a deal for a hard drive and was able to get one going for "while supplies lasts" twice. And it was packaged beautifully. Though the 2day I paid for arrived in 3, all in all I was pleased.

Yeah, I thought they rocked too until they sold me a used processor (AMD X2 3800+) in August of this year, that was supposed to be new, but it was USED. It was an OEM processor that had scratches and sh*t all over the IHS. I swore to never buy from them again.

A "credit card customer support" rep is always going to say "you're out of luck". That is what they are supposed to say. You have legal rights and can file a credit card fraud complaint in writing delivered by certified mail detailing the fraud. Every state also has their own rules on how you can handle such situations over and beyond the Federal means. Credit card companies don't exactly tell you what your rights are, just theirs (and usually embellish theirs to sound more depressing for you). If you can show malice on Monarch's part (and this forum is also a great place to show a pattern of behavior with Monarch your know), you can get your money back. You see, the burden of proof is on you AND the credit card company. The more rock solid your complaint, the more they have to punch holes through it to counter it. They have to have a darn good reason to deny fraud didn't take place before they can refuse repayment. If you report the problem immediately and not wait months and months, the maximum you can be responsible for is $50, and that's only if the fraudster can't be found (stolen card for example).

You see, verbal complaints are not considered valid "legal complaints" and most people don't bother to follow up and do things the right way. No matter what the credit card company said, file a complaint and report it as fraud. Write your story without emotion and stick to the facts, be professional, and be as detailed (yet brief) as possible. Cite reciepts (copies, you keep the originals), packing lists, product descriptions from manufacturers, Monarch ads (online and printed), item lists, etc.

Remember, a company does not have to refund if you accept delivery of a product. However, they must have sold you what you paid for (it must be working, the right product, etc.). They must only give you a working product. Refunds are up to the retailer. HOWEVER, a contract is a contract and if they say they refund, they must as long as you follow the contract's guidelines. Also, if they gave you a defective product, then you must get a replacement. If they refuse to replace, then you can get the refund only if you can show they didn't make all dilligence to replace the product for you. ALSO, if they tell you to send a defective product back for replacement, and they never sent the replacement, then you ARE entitled to a refund as they have agreed to accept the product back and they decided not to replace it. This is a violation of the sale and thus you get the money back as the story changes when they accept the product back and not replace it.

Keeping money or product they are not legally entitled to is FRAUD and the credit card companies HAVE TO address the matter. YOU have to start the process IN WRITING. Heck, have the complaint notorized for good measure.

For Pete's sake, stop believing what credit card companies tell you! You have rights, some more than others, depending on the state. Also, if they sent you anything via US Post, then they also have mail fraud to deal with. You can get criminal charges filed against them if you can send their local DA enough complaints about fraud by Monarch.

Note, I am no lawyer, and you should always consult one for legal advice. I just happen to have had experience in situations like this myself and those are my suggestions.

.... Well, I'm sad to see them end up like this. I've built 6 systems around their Motherboard/Processor combo's and have had nothing but great success and great experiences with them. In the past, I always had troubles with mounting the processor and having a first run success with mounting the cooling unit. So when I found Monarch provided such service with their combo's, I gave them a try. That was about 4 years ago and still today, everyone of these systems I've built on their combo's are running with zero issues and at some of the most consistent temps I've seen on custom builds. This service took the stress off my shoulders of a poorly installed CPUs.

... I for one would love to see them make a strong comeback in 2007.

SuperSparky said:
Write your story without emotion and stick to the facts, be professional, and be as detailed (yet brief) as possible. Cite reciepts (copies, you keep the originals), packing lists, product descriptions from manufacturers, Monarch ads (online and printed), item lists, etc.
Sparky, you make some very valid points. :)

Remember that old saying about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. A well written letter that sticks to the facts and issues will usually get you a better response than one that is full of bitching and whining. Odds are the person reading your letter (or email) had nothing to do with your problem, and they will be more sympathetic to your cause if you are reasonable and simply present things in as concise a manner as possible, instead of rambling on about how fucked up you think their company is.

I didn't realize you have to register to 2cpu to read the posts there :confused:. Sorry.

Anyway, yes, the credit card route is really not easy.

They only act after the problem has not sorted itself out after 6 weeks from your first legally binding complaint to the company, which would at the least be a fax, not email, not phone. You can be sure that in 6 weeks there won't be any money on the Monarch accounts to draw from. So that is unrealistic in two ways.

I stopped getting emails from them...

Awesome for me, I'm Canadian (can't order from there) and cancelled their newsletter at least 3 times, all to no avail :rolleyes:

<3 puget for covering me...especially when i paid $150 for an extended warranty from monarch

why would they do that though?

I mean I would strongly consider buying from them because they're covering me now, but is there any reason other than publicity?

jcll2002 said:

I mean I would strongly consider buying from them because they're covering me now, but is there any reason other than publicity?

Well I would think because people would then think of buying from them next time. :)

kush said:
Update:

Puget Systems is providing FREE LABOR to 'former' Monarch system owners. Pretty damn cool olive branch from Puget if you ask me, since they otherwise have nothing to do with this fiasco.

source1: http://www.pugetsystems.com/monarch_computer.php
source2 (not reg'd there so didn't actually read following thread) : http://forums.hardwarelogic.com/f9/monarch-computers-going-bye-bye-puget-custom-systems-stepping-3509/
WOW. I don't buy pre-built systems but I gotta say this is a pretty awesome hand out that Puget systems is giving. I never really heard of them except the couple of [H] reviews and I am pretty sure I never personally opened their site but they just upped themselves on my recommendation list to others.

Thats awesome.

Spectre said:
Well I would think because people would then think of buying from them next time. :)

Thats what I'm thinking too. Also mind you I'm sure they have a little markup in the parts needed to fix said boxes. Still a great way to try to get some business comming in.

Bingo - of course they did it for publicity, and the 'wow they did something so I'll buy from them' aspect. Certainly it's not a purely philanthropic motive for them, but I think it is a damn fine move, and will get the desired effect for them..Even if Monarch does goes belly up after all this and totally abandons their own systems/customers.

Hell, I never thought about them either, other than reading the [H] review(s?). But if I'm ever in the market for a pre-built system, or someone asks me for a recommendation, I'll have to say Puget Systems (or as my half-brothers ex would say Poo-Jit :p).

What Puget is doing is demonstrating clearly how important customer service is to any business. Yes, it's an olive branch. Yes, it brings good publicity. Yes, it's a very nice thing to do. There are only positives here for both sides. It's the golden rule in action.

If more companies treated people like this, even though they don't have to, but because it's a good thing to do, then many people just might have better attitudes towards "companies".

Way to go Puget!

SuperSparky said:
What Puget is doing is demonstrating clearly how important customer service is to any business. Yes, it's an olive branch. Yes, it brings good publicity. Yes, it's a very nice thing to do. There are only positives here for both sides. It's the golden rule in action.

If more companies treated people like this, even though they don't have to, but because it's a good thing to do, then many people just might have better attitudes towards "companies".

Way to go Puget!

QFT, especially when he is paying from their own pocket for labor costs. They will surely attract customers toward them for the next system upgrade or get the wanted publicity to get more sales.

Kudos to Puget :cool:

So is there any real information coming out of Monarch yet?

Has anyone driven by to see if they are packing their cars with stuff to empty the building before the creditors stop by?

Any employees on here that can pass some real facts rather than rumors trash talk?

Personally and on a corporate purchasing level I stopped ordering from Monarch 2 months ago when it took them 3 weeks to get a system out of their warehouse...

solotech said:

Has anyone driven by to see if they are packing their cars with stuff to empty the building before the creditors stop by?

Any employees on here that can pass some real facts rather than rumors trash talk?

Personally and on a corporate purchasing level I stopped ordering from Monarch 2 months ago when it took them 3 weeks to get a system out of their warehouse...

On Friday of last week there was the sign up that was posted here and when I went by there were some cars parked outside and a couple of people went inside. When I knocked I got nothing and the door was locked with an ATI poster blocking the view in. Other than that Monarch at some point recently approached Systemax about a take over. That is about it for now.

solotech said:

their AMDReview.com website is still up, used to be AthlonXP.com for any old timers here....at any rate, Devin posted as recently as 12-14-06, i have tried to email him and what not but he hasn't replied, i used to write hardware reviews for their AMDReview.com site and knew several of them by first name, went by there at least once a week or so, it's unfortunate things turned out this way because they were pretty cool.....i did have Devin's phone number, but lost it some time ago after i stopped reviewing for them......oh well

Whatever their purpose for offering free labor to Monarch customers, it's damn cool of Puget to do this. Even if it is just for publicity.

I've been meaning to post about Monarch Computers for a couple of days now. My best friend was an employee there till today, Wednesday the 20th, when three cops came and told him and some other people to get out of the building. He is now jobless of course.

A couple weeks ago, my friend told me Monarch lost a large contract and that he was worried about losing his job there since it paid him a decent wage, $12 an hour or so with 40 hours a week. He enjoyed it for the most part.

He only worked at Monarch for a couple of months and does not know much about what caused Monarch's downfall.

Piccol0z said:
A couple weeks ago, my friend told me Monarch lost a large contract and that he was worried about losing his job there since it paid him a decent wage, $12 an hour or so with 40 hours a week. He enjoyed it for the most part.
QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, what was he doing for $12 an hour?

Piccol0z said:
I've been meaning to post about Monarch Computers for a couple of days now. My best friend was an employee there till today, Wednesday the 20th, when three cops came and told him and some other people to get out of the building. He is now jobless of course.

The police came and removed who? Everyone or just some employees they were terminating and afraid of? Was it an Eviction? A little more detail would be great to hear, since your friend no longer works there he may not mind ponying up some more detail?

Palmyra said:
Just out of curiosity, what was he doing for $12 an hour?

If I remember correctly, they started him out in PC repair/building computers. He was suppose to be in that department for a few weeks then rotate around to the other areas and ultimately end up being in tech support.

rahlquist said:
The police came and removed who? Everyone or just some employees they were terminating and afraid of? Was it an Eviction? A little more detail would be great to hear, since your friend no longer works there he may not mind ponying up some more detail?

I'll ask him and find out who was exactly removed from the building. I know their staff was rather small so it may have been everybody but the owners. He might not know a large amount of details other than the police came and he no longer had a job. As I said, he has only been there a few months (2-3) maybe even less and he mostly just focused on complete his job.

grimreaper112 said:
Yesterday, Monarch was shut down and secured by the Dekalb County Tax Commissioner. Just a FYI..... :cool:

well.....that does it for now doesn't it

i really feel bad for the guys who worked there, losing their job a week before christmas, but if they were paying attention, the smart ones would have already left and gotten another job, it had to be really obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back