Modern cooler for i7 4790

scoundrel

n00b
My HTPC still rocks it for watching movies on the TV with the old and good combo i7 4790/RX580 and I've got no need to replace those so soon. Problem is that it was meant for simply watching movies, not gaming and, now, my grandchildren are installing many games and playing all day with that computer. With the box cooler, temps get to the 90'sºC and stay there during all playing time. I am a bit worried.

So: which modern and cheap cooler would be good to taming that processor? It's TDP, according to Intel, is 84W.

Compatibility isn't really an issue as mounting for LGA 1156, 1155, 11550, 1151, & 1200 are all the same. Don't know if you have any height restrictions on the cooler, but as an example a ID-Cooling SE-214-XT is only $20. Or the Thermalright AssassinX120 SE is currently only $18.90. Thermalright & ID-Cooling also have options for low profile coolers in the range of 36mm to 67mm in height if you need it, those will be a bit more expensive, maybe up to $35. You do have to watch out on Amazon with the Thermalright coolers as there are often multiple listings with varying prices for the same cooler & you don't want to end up paying $10 more for no good reason.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
which sort of case do you have? How much clearance?
It's a Silverstone Grandia GD06, 150mm of height. I guess those tall coolers won't fit in. I was wondering about a low profile, silent model. Tried to use an old Noctua CP12 that I have sitting here but it's too tall either.

It's a Silverstone Grandia GD06, 150mm of height. I guess those tall coolers won't fit in. I was wondering about a low profile, silent model. Tried to use an old Noctua CP12 that I have sitting here but it's too tall either.
the ax120 that emeril posted is 148mm

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is the si 100 in a Silverstone gd09 on a 4790k...

16832315349878829274839764168780.jpg
16832316120173209820651474076279.jpg

Yes, I did. It's now peaking at low 70's and yet the cooler seldom gets to max speed. I just left the mobo PWM header manage it.
EDIT: it's amazing how this old processor still can rock modern games and keep 60 vsynced FPS at all times paired with the also old RX580.
How can you put up with ONLY 60 fps? Everyone tells us we must buy new hardware every 60 days or we are plebs.
This is why I like watching channels like GOG and others like him that give more realistic info. I remember just trying to get past games tearing or stuttering so bad that you would be dead before you even knew there was an opponent in the game. So if it runs, it's good enough for my abilities.
Yes, modern coolers on older equipment are nice and silent.

How can you put up with ONLY 60 fps? Everyone tells us we must buy new hardware every 60 days or we are plebs.
This is why I like watching channels like GOG and others like him that give more realistic info. I remember just trying to get past games tearing or stuttering so bad that you would be dead before you even knew there was an opponent in the game. So if it runs, it's good enough for my abilities.
Yes, modern coolers on older equipment are nice and silent.
Yes, they are and the upgrade frenzy is real but I know better now. I cannot stand stuttering and tearing in games without vsynch either. My brother upgraded his old and good 9900k to 13700k and he's regreted profoundly. First, he had to get a new beefy PSU and a very noisy 360mm AIO to tame the beast along with a new fat case to fit it all in. He ended up with something too big and way too powerful for just playing Vsynched games because he, like us, also can't stand the screen tearing of hundreds of FPS. You see, that's why I still keep my old systems with 4790/6700k: I get consistent 60 FPS with vsync in both and I can barely hear their Noctua fans working. That's priceless, at least for me.

Back