Modding X800 XL for high OC...

Cr@zZy

Limp Gawd
I need some information on modding my X800 XL as high as possible on air. Does anyone have experiance with or know where I can go to get lots of info. I was thinking of maybe putting this heat sync on it. And heat spreaders everywhere. Does anyone know of a better copper heat sync that I could use maybe a 80 mm fan on? and do people just use a Thermal Adhesive to hold it on or is it somehow attached with screews? I'm new to video card modding. Any help would be great.

Just a thought, but you might have to come up with some way to hold that on other than thermal adhesive since that's a lot of weight to be held up by thermal paste on the GPU/shim.

Honestly, your best be might be to see if there is a VGA Silencer for the x800xl and maybe setup an additional fan inside your case to blow on your vid card heatsink.

I don't think heat is the limiting factor on the XL. Many people believe it's approaching the 75W limit of the PEG slot, so there is a lot of interest in modding it to draw its power off a Molex/PCIe connector. Of course cooling doesn't hurt, but don't expect much.

The XL IS reaching the 75W PCI-E limit, and is also built in a .11 micron process, which means the overclock yeilds will be much lower than previous .13 micron low-k cards.

I would recommend a zalman VF700 or Artic SIlencer for cooling, modding a CPu HSF wouldnt be thesible when such good solutions are already available.

xl4.jpg

Dillusion said:
The XL IS reaching the 75W PCI-E limit, and is also built in a .11 micron process, which means the overclock yeilds will be much lower than previous .13 micron low-k cards.

I would recommend a zalman VF700 or Artic SIlencer for cooling, modding a CPu HSF wouldnt be thesible when such good solutions are already available.

xl4.jpg
Ha, nice I saw that when I was looking through the show off your video card thread... and instantly wanted it. Thats what I'll be getting with some big copper ram syncs. And I'm not up to par that much with OCing video cards but I know there is a v-mod for this card, did you do that? and what types of OC and results are you getting? Are you happy with it? and last do you know of a better card ATI or nividia(under 350,r less is better) that can OC better?

Would a geforce 6800 GT oc better? Its a bit out of my price range right now, but that could drop soon...

Cr@zZy said:
Ha, nice I saw that when I was looking through the show off your video card thread... and instantly wanted it. Thats what I'll be getting with some big copper ram syncs. And I'm not up to par that much with OCing video cards but I know there is a v-mod for this card, did you do that? and what types of OC and results are you getting? Are you happy with it? and last do you know of a better card ATI or nividia(under 350,r less is better) that can OC better?

Nope, not sub 350$ ati card can OC this well and have as many pipelines, theres the X800 PRo and X850 PRo, but those are only 12 pipes and dont guarantee an OC. I cant Oc this card yet because no program supports it

Dillusion said:
Nope, not sub 350$ ati card can OC this well and have as many pipelines, theres the X800 PRo and X850 PRo, but those are only 12 pipes and dont guarantee an OC. I cant Oc this card yet because no program supports it
no oc programs support it? then why do I hear about it ocing well? and what about that 6800 GT. I did a little research and most people are able to get it at or above ultra speeds on stock cooling... maybe I should go that route since it does have a power connector and better OC software.

BFG's 6800gt is ownage and OCs sooo well, and the memory doesn't seem to know what "warm" means!!! :X

edit: are you going pci-e or agp?

arnett said:
BFG's 6800gt is ownage and OCs sooo well, and the memory doesn't seem to know what "warm" means!!! :X

edit: are you going pci-e or agp?
pci-e

So you think it would be a waste to get an X800Xl and watercool it (which I was planning on doing to try and hit some nice OC's)? Any cards of similar performance/price that will make watercooling much more worth it?

n64man120 said:
So you think it would be a waste to get an X800Xl and watercool it (which I was planning on doing to try and hit some nice OC's)? Any cards of similar performance/price that will make watercooling much more worth it?
there is a version of the XL that has the pci-e power connector.. I would think that will OC like a MOFO and its on newegg right now refurbished for $270!@!@ STEAL

ooooo, that should fix the problem... I'm not buying my parts for atleast 3 months still though. Anyone overclock with the extra powered card?

Back