Modded my Xeon...

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
Can someone tell me why it doesn't seem to work anymore? I thought this was how you unlocked the multipliers...

xeon_1.jpg

xeon_2.jpg

xeon_3.jpg

xeon_4.jpg

:D :D :D

sac_tagg said:
Was it a failed overclock that you decided to...finish off?

Nah...it didn't work only after I used the pliers + hammer. It was obsolete stock at work.

did that not work?

you know, those are quite expensive on ebay... the higher clocked chips with the 400mhz fsb are quite rare...

as i recall, i sold a single 3ghz/512/400 chip for around $400.

edit: a pair of those exact chips i sold for $450, they went as soon as i put them up. probably couldve gotten more. i dont seem to have the 3ghz one in my excel sheet. edit2: the 3ghz sold for $350.

Volkum said:
Can someone tell me why it doesn't seem to work anymore? I thought this was how you unlocked the multipliers...

:D :D :D
Looks like you got a couple of bent pins. Try upping the voltage too.

Of course it's not going to overclock very well, the heatspreader isn't flat.

Volkum said:
It is when customers don't order it.

That makes me cry. Maybe you could send a Xeon or two to us instead of taking a hammer to it lol! I'm sure we could all put it to good use! :(

I have a 3.0 prescott sitting in my tool box just waiting for something to happen to it. I really need to dig up a mb to test it with(not sure if it works as it came off a machine with a bad logic) but I kinda want to make a new keychain(my celeron 2 ghz is showing its age). Anyway next time I would give the chip to the [H]ord as they can use it for a good cause. Even though that must have felt good to smash.....

That was pointless. Would have been better if you killed it by overclocking. All you did was hit it with a hammer, something anyone or anything with a thumb can do.

Yea, killing a processer by eXtreme OCing /testing is better than smashing it with a hammer. You could have went to GoodWill, got the oldest/cheapest PC there, took out the processer and SMASHED that. Why smash a Xeon?

Heck, why smash a processor, period? Unless it's like 8 MHz, come on. There's bound to be a use for every processor...

PWMK2 said:
Heck, why smash a processor, period? Unless it's like 8 MHz, come on. There's bound to be a use for every processor...
For fun?
If I didn't need money, I'd be smashing stuff too! :)

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Smashing isn't that fun. OCing IS FUN though,especially when you don't care about the processer!
I think smashing is much more fun than OCing. The fun increases proportional to the size, value, and shinyness of the object being smashed. The fun also increases proportional to hammer size.

PWMK2 said:
That makes me cry. Maybe you could send a Xeon or two to us instead of taking a hammer to it lol! I'm sure we could all put it to good use! :(

I can't just take obsolete inventory home...I'd have to buy it. Otherwise our RTV guy pretty much nukes it all and it's never seen again.

I have a new obsolete machine I just started up....a pair of identical obsolete Xeon 2.8's in an obsolete SuperMicro blade with a gig and a half of obsolete ram, with an obsolete Hitachi SCSI drive. Gee, maybe I should smash it too...??.... :rolleyes:

Offer to buy things like this as scrap.....offer them $10.00 or something. No company will trash hardware when they think they can make a buck or two on it...beats smashing up a very decent CPU.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
Offer to buy things like this as scrap.....offer them $10.00 or something. No company will trash hardware when they think they can make a buck or two on it...beats smashing up a very decent CPU.
Although this sounds good to you and me, I'd be willing to bet that they would have asked several hundred for that CPU if he offered to buy it. Businesses can be screwey that way.

sac_tagg said:
Although this sounds good to you and me, I'd be willing to bet that they would have asked several hundred for that CPU if he offered to buy it. Businesses can be screwey that way.

Yep... So smashing it was definitely more fun!

sac_tagg said:
you know, ive never understood that. "here. go smash this to bits... but dont try to use it! if you use it you have to pay us $300 for it!"

I would have smashed an old celeron and exchanged it for the xeon. They wouldn't know the differance :p

arabdon1203 said:
I would have smashed an old celeron and exchanged it for the xeon. They wouldn't know the differance :p
Naw, when you've done this as long as I have you get the hang of it. You let the trash build up, then offer to take it out. Pull up your truck, fill up the back with the trash. Once you get back to the dumpster, throw the trash in there, but make sure the stuff you want "accidentally" ends up under a seat in your car. Yep, I'm an expert at this. :D

Haha, I love smashing processors! I'll have to get some pics of some of the ES chips I was told to destroy = )

You know...
MP's
DP's
775's
and a whole lot of flip chips

lithium726 said:
you know, ive never understood that. "here. go smash this to bits... but dont try to use it! if you use it you have to pay us $300 for it!"

Keeps prices high.

Apple does the same thing.

So that's Apple's secret huh...
I wonder how many warehouses Apple has to go through in a day to keep their prices that high ;)

ChingChang said:
So that's Apple's secret huh...
I wonder how many warehouses Apple has to go through in a day to keep their prices that high ;)

Actually, you're right.

A friend of a friend actually works in a factory where they are forced to destroy perfectly functioning hardware and turn it into recycling. They have video surveillance to see if anyone is taking ANYTHING home. (Even a screw!)

His job is to receive the (new) "unwanted" PCs, and put them into the compactor. Push "compress", repeat as required.

Back