• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mobo Replacement Ques.

bagofmilk

n00b
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
4
My computer freezes before I can access the bios. I know its either the mobo, RAM, or video card, but my computer is relatively old and instead of trying to figure out what it is I thought what the hell I'll slowly rebuild.

I noticed the C2D's are socket 775 and was hoping that if I purchased a mobo that supported C2D's it would also support my P4 2.8Ghz 775 processor. (that way I can just have the mobo now and upgrade my processor later..) Is this possible?

Some of the mobo's i've been eyeing:

1) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2354289&CatId=0

2) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2366120&CatId=0 <---Says it supports P4 procs.

3) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2366122&CatId=2438 <---Says it supports P4 procs.

Any opinions? Thoughts? What should I get/do?

Another stupid question.... Do AGP slots no longer exist on new boards? All the boards I've seen just specify PCI-E.
 
I noticed the C2D's are socket 775 and was hoping that if I purchased a mobo that supported C2D's it would also support my P4 2.8Ghz 775 processor. (that way I can just have the mobo now and upgrade my processor later..) Is this possible?

Absolutely, no problem. The DQ6 will run your P4 as well, just was not mentioned in the ad. I like that one, but see my sig :p . Any of those will do, depends on your budget and needs.


Another stupid question.... Do AGP slots no longer exist on new boards? All the boards I've seen just specify PCI-E.

With the exception of one or two oddballs you are correct, the entire market has gone to pci-e.

The couple that do have AGP slots are intended for people that want to upgrade a little (newer cpu) but retain their memory and video card and in general perform in the low end and have compatibility issues with some video cards, If you go this route be double darn sure your agp video card is listed either in the manual or on the web site as fully compatible.
 
Back
Top