MOBO problem? URGENT!

So, I just sold my old DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D with my opteron 146 on eBay. The buyer is claiming that it's DOA citing the fact that he can't load any drivers. He says he can load up Windows ( i believe he's using windows xp home or xp 64) but the drivers won't install. That doesn't sound like a mobo problem to me? Maybe i'm not familiar with these things. please help. When I sent it off, it was working fine, I mean I was playing COD4 on it the day I took it out.

If he can get to the install screen then the mobo is working. Is his a legit Windows?

yeah, that's what I was thinking too, if he can install windows then the mobo is ok. i'm also wondering what OS he's using. i assumed windows xp but I don't know. thanks for the help? anyone else got any ideas?

oh also, i did some O/Cing on this board and installed a soundcard so i had to disable the onboard soundcard on the bios. maybe that would cause a problem, i mean can't install sound drivers if the on board sound is disabled? i doubt any of the over clocking settings would make a difference in terms of installing drivers.

Yeah, disabling the sound would prevent sound drivers from installing since the OS won't detect the onboard sound altogether. Tell him to reset the BIOS and then try it. In any case, board drivers failing to install does not mean that the board is faulty at all.

If he can get into windows it is pretty effin far from DOA. Ask him if he knows about memtest, but yes I think he has issues learning how to load drivers.

When I sell stuff like this I always do a load defaults in the BIOS, for future reference.

thanks for the help everyone. yeah, i should have reset the bios before selling it but I was so excited when I got all my new parts in that I completely forgot. I was thinking maybe about running memtest ( the board has it already built in ) but would crapped up ram mess up loading drivers? He was a bit vague about what was going on but I think it was the whole on board sound thing being disabled, that and for some reason, I think he might be loading in the wrong drivers. I'll let you guys know if I have any other issues. thanks again.

yeah, this guy is an idiot and he wants his money back.... I really hate ebay sometimes...

I know exactly what he did. He tossed in the motherboard and cpu in his old case, plugged in everything and powered on. Windows still thinks he is using his old setup and wont install new system drivers. Tell him he needs to format windows and start over.

good call, i'll make sure he does that as well. I didn't think about that, I just assumed he knew what he was doing...:rolleyes:

so apparently he reset the bios, did a clean install with new equipment, d/led the drivers from nvidia and even tried getting it from dfi and no dice, no drivers working. any other ideas what could be wrong? now it's more of a " what happened here" kind of thing and less of a " this guy is an idiot" situation, just wanted to know for my own knowledge

Maybe he got the wrong drivers? Did you send the original driver cd it came with? if so tell him to try those.

Also tell him what drivers hes trying to install. Also what os is he using? Did not see if you said what hes running, meaning xp, vista, windows 7 (maybe?), 64 bit or 32 bit.

Maybe he got the wrong drivers? Did you send the original driver cd it came with? if so tell him to try those.

Also tell him what drivers hes trying to install. Also what os is he using? Did not see if you said what hes running, meaning xp, vista, windows 7 (maybe?), 64 bit or 32 bit.

he's running xp 32bit and I wanted to send him the original driver cd but I can't find it, however nvidia has all the nforce drivers up and he should be able to get it from there, I mean, right before I sold it, I updated my drivers, I'm pretty anal about those things so I knew it was there and it worked just fine. i'm really not sure but I think I really have no choice but to offer him a refund.

Before you refund him, find the proper drivers yourself, send him the links, and ask him to try installing those specific ones. Make sure he is in fact installing the proper drivers.

Maybe I am just a dick or something but it seems clear to me the board is not DOA. So why are you providing tech support? Direct him here to the forums and be done with it.

The guy got a eBay deal, if he wanted tech support he should have bought a dell.

Edit: To be honest this guy doesn't seem to know a thing about computers. When he said he downloaded and installed the drivers but no drivers are working it could mean almost anything. The drivers for the motherboard may have installed fine. But he thinks they didn't cause he still has unknown devices for some other hardware he installed.

If the board was faulty he wouldn't even have a desktop to attempt his driver install. No way in hell I would take a motherboard back from a guy like this. I doubt he has any clue when it comes to protecting the board from static discharge while working with it. Just imagine what kind of shape the board could get returned in.

also, i have bought a couple of mobos from ebay before finding this forum and have had mixed luck, mostly bad luck. anything can happen. I know what I'm doing and yet I've had a DOA as well. the seller wounldn't take it back but he did give me a 500GB HDD instead. I called it even and let it go... but clearly the mobo was DOA - never POSTed.

If its posting then he's at least got part of it working right, not DOA at all. I agree with others, send him the correct links for the drivers you know that work. Once he's got ethernet working the dude should do a windows update right away and that should solve any of the other "unknown hardware" problems that he's having. If he refuses to do a Windows Update then its his own damn fault for running pirated XP and not knowing how to install drivers manually. I'd tell him L2Tech noob! :D ...Not really thats pretty mean, but if he's buying an older board and CPU he should at least know what he's getting into. Sounds to me like he bought something but realized that it wasn't what he wanted and is trying whatever he can to get his money back.

yeah, funny thing. I told him to return the mobo and i'll give him a full refund,but he never did, it's been quite a while since i sent it off. maybe he's trying to scam me? I don't know, ebay is so shady now.

Back