Mobo or memory

daemonmf

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm trying to fix a friend's computer. He accidentally hit the off switch on the powerstrip and now it doesn't output any video or beep. His system is AM2 and I'm still rockin' a 939 so I can't switch out and test the memory. I disconnected everything non-essential, tried with each memory module by itself, and switched out his power supply and video card with known working ones... still nothing. Fans power up, but no video or beeps. So, I'm fairly confident that it's either the mobo or the memory. I'm leaning towards the mobo as I tried with each memory module by itself, but I'd like some input before I order a new board.

It could really go either way. The only way to know for sure is to try different RAM or a different motherboard.

Try the mobo without ram, see if it beeps.
Yes- keep checking
no-bad mobo

It would help a wee bit if we knew his motherboard.

AM2 could mean the (slightly) notorious nforce4.

It would help a wee bit if we knew his motherboard.

AM2 could mean the (slightly) notorious nforce4.

It is an nforce5 board, MSI K9N Platinum to be exact. The fact that it has insufficient passive cooling on the northbridge shows that they just didn't QA this board well enough.

I'm aware of the frustrations associated with nvidia chipsets. I have an nforce4 board myself and am lucky that it's still going strong.

I ran the board without any memory and still no beeps or video. Oh well, I'm going to assume it's the board and order a new one. Any ideas for a fairly cheap and reliable board?

Take the battery out of the motherboard (be sure it is unplugged too) for a few seconds. See if starts then.

Back