Mobo for conroe e6600?

crazymonkee84

Limp Gawd
I'm getting a Conroe e6600 relatively soon and I'm having trouble looking for a motherboard. Can anybody suggest one that you know is good for sure, preferable that you own so that you can rate it first handedly. Price isnt an issue somewhere around 200 is preferred SLI or Crossfire aren't needed but if they're there then they're there. If it's a really good motherboard for higher than 200 suggest it anyways( like those asus ones) just looking for a board that can mainly overclock really well. A few I have sort of in mind are the gigabyte one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012
heard it ocs really well or one of these asus ones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131031
Thanks in advance

I have an E6600, and I plan on doing some OC-ing. From what I have researched and read and found out, P5W DH is the best bet for overclockers.

I'm planning on getting an Abit AW9D-MAX/E6600.
going by results on XS it's a nice combination.

I personally have a Gigabyte DS3. Overclocked my e6300 to 400 x 7 right out of the box. Great motherboard in my opinion, and they are always releasing new bios's:)

I have an E6600 overclocked to E6700 speed on an Asrock 775dual-vsta board. Price: $56 @ Newegg.

I have a DS3 and 6600. I seem to have an FSB hole above 350mhz or so. I can't boot at 400x9 :(.

my somewhat limited experience with the core 2's is this--some overclock like mad--others are more moderate in that regard . it seems like everyone tends to blame the MB--when it could be another problem when the SYSTEM don't overclock as expected .

so if you end up with a lesser-OCing core -2 --even if you have a super duper-$300+gold plated wiz-bang MB. your likely to not get much more out of it than you would have got from a avg priced MB/chipset.

some 945ps are doing 360+ fsb others can barely break 300fsb. some 975x's are doing well over 400fsb while others struggle to make it over 350fsb. the 965's can sometimes make an incredable 500+fsb yet some of them are only making around 350ish-fsb --even the antique--via 880-pro can manage 300+fsb on ocassion . i think with this 65nm process you have some very-very small dies--and that having two of them means that your going to be limited by the slowest of the cores--so if you get two great cores--great--but if you get one great core and one OK-core???

my thinking is the newest 965 based MB's with the revised 965 chip SHOULD be the best overall @ OCing the core-2. but the limit is in the entire system --PSU-ram-mb- CPU-cooling hd;s--ect--ect if you just happen to get a great core then 400+ is not out of the question . if you have a more avg-core 2 then it will be a challange to get there.

i'm sort of curious as what the core solos will do overclocking wise ?--since there just a core2 with one disabled core--they could do better if that enabled core is a good one--but i wonder if being tied to a disabled core could be a handicap ? :cool:

New to the forum. Looks like lotsa good info here.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP... don't need crossfire or sli.

How about the Asus P5B-E that's recently been released? The P5B-Dlx has dual PCIe-16x slots, iirc. The -E board only has one PCIe-16x slot for video. A bit cheaper too.

http://tinyurl.com/oudby

JSF35rhino said:
my somewhat limited experience with the core 2's is this--some overclock like mad--others are more moderate in that regard . it seems like everyone tends to blame the MB--when it could be another problem when the SYSTEM don't overclock as expected .

so if you end up with a lesser-OCing core -2 --even if you have a super duper-$300+gold plated wiz-bang MB. your likely to not get much more out of it than you would have got from a avg priced MB/chipset.

some 945ps are doing 360+ fsb others can barely break 300fsb. some 975x's are doing well over 400fsb while others struggle to make it over 350fsb. the 965's can sometimes make an incredable 500+fsb yet some of them are only making around 350ish-fsb --even the antique--via 880-pro can manage 300+fsb on ocassion . i think with this 65nm process you have some very-very small dies--and that having two of them means that your going to be limited by the slowest of the cores--so if you get two great cores--great--but if you get one great core and one OK-core???

my thinking is the newest 965 based MB's with the revised 965 chip SHOULD be the best overall @ OCing the core-2. but the limit is in the entire system --PSU-ram-mb- CPU-cooling hd;s--ect--ect if you just happen to get a great core then 400+ is not out of the question . if you have a more avg-core 2 then it will be a challange to get there.

i'm sort of curious as what the core solos will do overclocking wise ?--since there just a core2 with one disabled core--they could do better if that enabled core is a good one--but i wonder if being tied to a disabled core could be a handicap ? :cool:

i see what you're saying but I dont expect a huge massive jump 3.0 or so and im satisfied and thanks for the all great suggestions ds3 and p5b dh look like top ones and i sort of changed my mind about sli and crossfire since i know i would never have the heart to bust out more money for graphics.....but ya anymore suggestions thanks to all those who have helped thus far

Why does the Gigabyte DQ6 cost so much? Looks like it sound be a sun $200 board IMO.

BTW what problems are people having with their DQ6? I hear there are some bios issues, random reboots and that the back plate on the mobo sucks if you want to install a beefy aftermarket HSF.

the folks over at 'rebels haven" have been doing a bit of overclocking with the s-3 and ds-3 -965p gigabytes--and they have had good luck . the s-3 and the ds-3 going over 500fsb watercooled .
looks like i'll be getting a gigabyte afterall--lol :cool:

I got an e6600 last week, and after reading around i went with the P5w DH. i wasn't planning on spending anywhere near that much but none of the other boards had the ports i was looking for. i wanted as many usb, firewire, optical audio etc. ports as possible. i've spent the last couple years with a firewire expansion card sticking out the side of my laptop and i didn't want to have to put up with shit like expansion cards ever again.

It's been 2 weeks and the P5w sure does look pretty in its box, the conroe too, it will be atleast another week before i have the cash for the psu, monitor, keyboard, and hdd. just got my thermaltake armor in the mail on friday and $270 of g.skill. sigh...

Depending on how soon is "relatively soon", you might have a chance at getting a Biostar TForce P965 Deluxe once they become available in greater numbers in the US.

Supposedly it's stable, performance is good, and it overclocks like crazy.

I recently finished a Conroe E6600 build, and I'm using an Asus P5B Deluxe (with WiFi because I couldn't find any of the non-WiFi Deluxe boards). It's a little overpriced, but I'm very pleased with it's features and performance. About the only bad thing I can say about it is that it doesn't support SLI or Crossfire, but that really wasn't a big issue for me.

Back