Mobo for 3700x @ 4.3ghz. don't need wifi/BT. Sound chip important for HT AVR?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
Completely lost shopping for mobos. Already decided on a 3700x which I hope to run stable at 4.3ghz all cores. I do have a microcenter nearby or will shop online. Not sure to go with a B450, x470, or x570. I'll be using this strictly for gaming. Cheaper the better lol

-I don't need wifi or Bluetooth
-Not sure if onboard sound even matters if I connect to my 5.1 Denon surround sound AVR, but if it does that is important to me.
-want to run 3700x stable at 4.3ghz
-have no use for SLI/Xfire
-will be using mid tower so up to atx is fine
-not sure if SSD port type really matters for gaming and I don't use a ton of hdds
-open to all brands

Last edited:
How do you connect it to your receiver? Optical? Or analog over some 1/8” to rca style adapters?

if the former, it’s just sending digital audio to your receiver, so it’s not going to matter the quality of dac the motherboard has. just make sure it’s got an optical output. And most onboard sound solutions now will just do pass through of 5.1 encoded audio, I don’t think anything uses Dolby digital live or the data equivalent for doing surround sound in games anymore.

if the latter, just get a board with Realtek alc1200 audio. It’s the current “high end” sound for motherboards. Works just fine. Lots of options for boards with it.

Edit - it occurs to me you might be doing audio over hdmi from your gpu to your receiver. If so your onboard audio doesn’t matter at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a refurbished board .. got it from Newegg for $74 before Ryzen got hot and it's been flawless for me after some flash work because about all the boards will work if you flash them . The board is an MSI x470 Gaming Plus with latest bios plus chipset drivers and windows updates !

This is the stock (out of box cooler) in auto overclock , if it had my Corsair H100i water cooler on it , then I am sure it would hit 4,3Ghz like my 3600 does with the water cooler !

Cooling is the key and good thing I have 32Gb of system memory for this game.

Last edited:
If you are not looking to get much out of the motherboard just get a basic but good B450, the B450 Steel M is around 80$ and works with the new CPUs.

was going to get a tomahawk max, but ended up coming across a 9900x and z370 asus maximus formula X for same price as 3700x/b450 so went with that

Back