Mobile 5600H mini PC won't downclock or lower voltage unless task manager is open

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
So I recently bought a mini PC from Amazon...a Bee-link Ser5 Pro with an AMD 5600H, 16GB of RAM, 500GB SSD, and Win 11 Pro for around $300. Overall, it runs well, but I have this weird issue...

The clock stays at maximum speed and voltage unless I have the task manager open...then it will downclock and undervolt like it is supposed to. My first thought was that there was some sort of malware running, but I have done several scans with various products and come up with nothing. I recently installed the newest mobile chipset drivers I could find thinking that maybe it was a power issue, but no change under the balanced setting in Windows.

What is the strangest thing is that when I have the task manager open it throttles down as it should without a load. I'm confused as to why it would do that. Any ideas?

Ok, so I reimaged the mini PC and installed the same apps I normally use and so far it hasn't exhibited the same behavior yet. I guess some sort of software glitch?

Conicidentally I have that exact mini PC. I just installed the latest AMD drivers and the power plan doesn't give expected results. You might think the performance plan would give the best performance. The balanced plan seemed to work best. According to the AMD performance monitor it reached close to max TDP (30W) without throttling and gave me the highest cinebench scores. I couldn't tell you why the task manager would make a difference. I have experienced some apps/programs that were misbehaving get their brains back when I opened task manager. I don't know if this is coincidence or not.

The balanced plan seemed to work best.
thats what were supposed to leave it on now, has been for a while. when you install the chipset drivers it will be set to it(this would have been my first suggestion for op).

What power plan did you have set in Windows control panel?

Balanced...I'm guessing it was just some sort of software glitch in my case. A full re-image fixed the problem.

It was strange. It would run ~85C until I opened the task manager, and then it dropped to 45-50C (which is normal in my case). CPU-Z showed it running full voltage and speed for no apparent reason.

Back