MMO blues.

awwc

Limp Gawd
I can't bear to go back to WoW. I've done the free COH and LOTR 2 week trial versions, neither got their barbs into me for one reason or another.

Is anyone having f-u-n with any mmo out there? Even if it's not one of the more mainstream games?

Thanks in advance-

not a true to the letter MMO but still a great game I find guild wars to be a great MMO substitute.

Tabula Rasa in a couple weeks. Pirates of the Burning Sea in a couple months.

I am in the same boat, which is why I haven't MMOed in almost 8 months now. Here is to hoping one of the new MMOs has something to offer.

I'm enjoying FFXI, it's a good game if you like doing side quests and such during your time leveling up to 75. Once you get to end-game, a bunch of other stuff is available (but it does take a while to get to end-game).

anarchy online.

I play on and off every so months

I _love_ the game. beats the shit out of anything on the market today easily.

very complex with a kick ass community.

I'm in the same boat myself, been playing alot of tf2 the last month or so. WoW has gotten crazy boring, and i dont see them fixing the pvp anytime. My only hope onthe horizon is Warhammer and maybe conan. I was really looking forward to tabula rasa, until i found out it was all PVE.

I am also having the MMO blues. :(

Try Eve Online
I tried Eve Online, got outside to space, and immediately uninstalled it. I guess it was too slow for me. :/

not a true to the letter MMO but still a great game I find guild wars to be a great MMO substitute.
I got to 20 in Guild Wars in a week first week of release, and it went downhill from there. Extremely boring, no incentive to PVP. Might have changed now, but I doubt it.

Tabula Rasa in a couple weeks. Pirates of the Burning Sea in a couple months.
I was in the TR beta (or still am, who knows), made my character, and immediately uninstalled it when I got in the game due to the ... I can't explain. It definitely didn't grab my interest. Pirates of the Burning Sea looks like an MMO made for kids. :/

I'm enjoying FFXI, it's a good game if you like doing side quests and such during your time leveling up to 75. Once you get to end-game, a bunch of other stuff is available (but it does take a while to get to end-game).
Oooh, I played FFXI YEARS ago. It was really fun. I got to 67 (Ranger, pre-Ranger nerf when like NO ONE was Ranger) before I stopped (I even had a great static group). I don't remember why I stopped, but FFXI was probably my second favorite MMO I have ever played.

Wait for Conan in March 08. Looks great. DX10 also.
Oh yeah, that's one I'm definitely looking forward too. Now they just need to invite me to closed beta! $10 says they sent me a beta e-mail, I just didn't receive it. :/ I receive about every other newsletter e-mail they send me, so I betcha I missed the beta e-mail. :rolleyes:

My only hope onthe horizon is Warhammer and maybe conan.
Warhammer's another one I'm looking forward too, although I haven't read any new info on it for at least a year. I've been reading a lot of Conan, so I had no time really to read about Warhammer as well.

If you want a mindless MMO where you basically hack and slash your way to get levels, try 2moons. 2moons.acclaim.com

It's a f2p MMO. It's the westernized version of Dekaron. It's fun to me, and the classes are refreshing.

No subscription fee?

I concure real life costs way more then 15 a month. Its called tax's :rolleyes: ....

I'm just waiting for Warhammer Online. That game looks badass. I'm contenting myself with QW:ET in the mean time.

I played WoW from open beta till about 2 months after BC. What a great game, but man was I tired of the ghey pvp. If Warhammer lives up to even half what they promise it should be a lot of fun.

I'm in the Tabula Rasa beta, and I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. I have a lvl 15 Commando, and... I hate the game.

The few MMO's I've played all felt the same. Class-based system that requires a great deal of time to advance and get anything worthwhile.

I tried City of Villians and it just felt like a new skin on WoW.

Vanguard. check it out at vgplayers.com or vanguard.com

Excellent graphics, still in its infancy, but very unique and in about 4 weeks should have raid content.

here's a great game for ya:

no subscription fee, amazing graphics, huge expansive world, massive population.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/071103minusworld/1.html

;)

That's where my children devour my dreams and my wife is the assassin of my sexual identity"
/loosely quoted from Louis C.K.

Thanks for the responses fellas.
This really is harder than I thought it would be. I figured I'd easily find a game to jump right into. All I've garnished is this nagging feeling to go back to my old EQ account (which is insanity) or reactive my wife's WoW account (since I ...um..traded mine for goods and or services).

I'd like to get in on the ground floor of one if I had my druthers. Part of the fun for me is going places where there are actually people suffering the same things. Misery loves company etc. Trailblazing et all. Rather than running around the low to mid level areas killing and exp'ing with not one "/ooc WHERE DO I TURN IN XYZ QUEST?"

I'm not one for pvp, or big end game, although I've dipped my toe in both with EQ and WoW. I'm just as content solo'ing through level upon level in PVE ("why mmo then you ijit?" you ask..) I like pvp'ing and the social interaction when it presents itself. Whether that's forced upon me or I get the itch to group..

Anywho..I kinda feel like the industry has been stalled a bit. Publishers and Developers alike see Wow and say "god almighty why try and land our ship now..we'll just crash upon the rocks". While at the same time they're taking the opportunity to examine how Wow grabbed so much of the user share.

Cheers to the next challenger. Here's to the hope it doesn't need an Elf. Although I don't mind the fantasy mmo...it's been 7 years for me. I have no problems trading my bow in for a blaster.

Vanguard. check it out at vgplayers.com or vanguard.com

Excellent graphics, still in its infancy, but very unique and in about 4 weeks should have raid content.

Eh... sorry to burst your bubble, but VG is not in its infancy. I played from launch (January 07) for about 4 months. 1 character to 50 (Cleric), 2 over 35, and 1 max lvl crafter. They were talking about raid content the whole time, but did nothing in terms of implementation.

IMO, this game will not take off and is going to be swept under the carpet.

Pity vanguard is dying. It was fun the first month or so with everyone around. I would've liked to have played it to tide me over till Conan and Warhammer. .

Pity vanguard is dying. It was fun the first month or so with everyone around. I would've liked to have played it to tide me over till Conan and Warhammer. .

I agree. I had a good time for a while with the game, but people just gradually left and the servers got prett barren. I really started to lose interest in and around lvl 40 though.

Believe it or not I am having a blast playing Everquest 2. Not the same game it was when it came out, and it's for the better. I am NOT impressed with Tabula Rasa at all. And the only other MMO I was looking forward to Gods and Heroes Rome Rising has been killed.

Another nod for EQ2.

Much improved from launch and a viable alternative to WoW. In my opinion it has done it's best to copy the good aspects of WoW while still maintaining an EQ flavor.

You can get a free trial going, so it may be worth a look.

You know I really really loved Day of Defeat. Maybe I'll go check out TF2. Get my hooks in on a FPS'er interim. I've been waiting on Huxley too.

EQ2 huh...I've thought about that. I dunno why I haven't pulled the trigger on it...maybe out of fear.

Darkfall is the MMO I waiting for, hopefully it will be out soon than later, but I doubt that.

my son was playin last chaos before we switched over to wow last week. the game is free and no subscription fee either.

WoW is still my primary game. My girlfriend and I both play it and still have fun. Vanguard is slave to Brad McQuaid's "Vision", which was reason enough for me to keep away from it. No thank you, forced grouping to kill a bunny rabbit. No thank you, corpse runs.

Tabula rasa is pretty bad. If it was free, I'd think about it, but its just not worth money to play right now. Guild Wars is in fact pretty awesome, and free except for the purchase of the games themselves. Hellgate:London is in beta (which I'm a part of) and is shaping up to be a nice combination of Diablo 2 and MMO gameplay. It can even be played as a FPS for certain classes should you so choose. When it releases, it will be free to play for a basic account, and only $9 a month for an Elite one. Elite accounts will have things like Hardcore mode, 3 extra character classes, etc.. PVP ladders etc...

If you can tell me what you like most and least about the MMOs you've played, maybe I can assist you further.

I've been burnt out on mmo's for a while now myself.

I don't see any mmo's that look taht appealing/like it might be different then the usual besides Age of Conan and Darkfall online.

Just so tired of the same formula over and over. Gaining lv's, to kill shit, to get uber items, to kill bigger shit, rinse and repeat with no actual gameplay/fun.

If you want a mindless MMO where you basically hack and slash your way to get levels, try 2moons. 2moons.acclaim.com

It's a f2p MMO. It's the westernized version of Dekaron. It's fun to me, and the classes are refreshing.

seconded

Seconded! I've been reading up and watching some videos, looks like a lot of fun!:D

WarHammer Online is made by the same people that did DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot), which was an excellent MMO for years and years... it's different today after six years of being around than it was a couple years ago even, but still a pretty good game. I'm just tired after all this time of the same game I think... looking forward to WAR as a breath of fresh air myself :D!

Another nod for EQ2.

Much improved from launch and a viable alternative to WoW. In my opinion it has done it's best to copy the good aspects of WoW while still maintaining an EQ flavor.

You can get a free trial going, so it may be worth a look.

Yeah... I will give EQ2 the nod as well. I played EQ2 from launch all the way up to about 2 weeks after the release of Echoes of Faydwer. It was a great game and held my interest the whole time. The only thing that made me leave, ultimately, was the constant retooling of skills and equipment. With the release of Echoes of Faydwer, my raided gear across 4 lvl 70 toons became obsolete by comparison to non-rare drop items. Even items that I had won from Tarinax kills became obsolete. The same thing happened with previous expansions, and I just didnt have the drive to raid for months and months again for gear.

But yeah... very good game. I had a great time in it.

And the only other MMO I was looking forward to Gods and Heroes Rome Rising has been killed.

WTF!!!! When did this happen!??!? I was actually looking forward to this game too but havent been on their boards or anything in a number of months. DAMNIT JIM..NO!!!

Back