MLAA+Eyefinity = crap in Dead Space 1+2?

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone tried this? Horrible performance. Talking 5-10 FPS. Simply by enabling MLAA. What is the point of this mode if it performs like ass? Nice to see that AMD doesn't even have regular MSAA support for Dead Space 2, either.

Don't know whether it's a Dead Space specific problem. Bad Company 2 works OK with MLAA in Eyefinity but HL2 crawls.

e: Must be Eyefinity. HL2 runs at 70-100 FPS at 2500x1600, but 10 FPS at 5760x1080. Doesn't make sense, since MLAA isn't supposed to take up any vRAM, so it can't be a vRAM limitation...

Last edited:
It's a deferred renderer on DX9, have to wait for driver hacks for hardware MSAA to work. Blame developers for sitting on DX9.

The game already has its own post process AA which looks decent (and mysteriously breaks if you dare to alt tab the game)

Do you guys know if that Dead Space 2 AA fix works for Dead Space 1? I think they're the same engine maybe with some improvements on DS2. Last weekend I finally finished up DS1 and I used that AA fix to try to improve aliasing and I couldn't really tell if it was working; I can't tell if it's working in DS2.

I set it to 32x and played it through (GTX480) HDMI on my Sharp 52" at 1920×1080p and, while I could see some light jaggies, most stuff looked good.

Also, I've noticed that DS2 seems to be a little more demanding on the GPU so I ran it at 16x instead.

What "AA fix" are you talking about? Since this is the AMD section, Nvidia fixes aren't exactly helpful.

MSAA does not work in Nvidia or AMD cards with Dead Space 2. There are some 'workarounds' on the Nvidia side but they all have side effects - have to set shadow quality to normal instead of very high.

Shitty, AMD still behind on AA? I was planning on a 6870(sold 460) but I'm not touching MLAA as it looks like shit.

I haven't heard of any complaining about the lowered shadow quality, especially since the shadows probably aren't that good anyway. If DS1 is any indication, AA will be way more noticeable.

I tried MLAA at 5164x1050. It seemed to have about the same performance hit as 8xAA. Most new games won't be able to handle it but it's great for some of the older ones.

I tried MLAA at 5164x1050. It seemed to have about the same performance hit as 8xAA. Most new games won't be able to handle it but it's great for some of the older ones.

That's just the thing, though. It's useless in Eyefinity because why would you ever apply MLAA in older games? Older games are all DX9 or below and not console ports, thus fully compatible with MSAA, adapative, and SSAA.

All I know is that the performance drop is not linear. Like, getting 70 FPS in HL2 with MLAA at 2500x1600, followed up by 10 FPS at 5760x1080...that makes no sense. There is some hard "ceiling" the performance is running into and I wish I knew what it was.

With Nvidia you can do lots of different AA combos in Dead Space,

but not in Dead Space 2, cos it ruins only graphically good thing in it - shadows.

I reported to them MLAA working decently in DS2, so they said they'll fix this in next drivers :D

Yup DX9 related. DS 2 would have been game of the friggin year if it used dx11. Imagine the horror lighting effects you could get with dx11. DS2 just feels like an expansion pack for the first game with nothing new.

Back