• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mixing Metals (aluminum flow meter)

Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
50
Ok...

Just about to set up my first loop. I have kept everything to copper and brass but wanted a flow meter and ended up with the
http://www.saveateagle.com/cl-w0012-...-V50&ovtac=CMP
which much to my dismay...I find is aluminum. I am using Fluid XP as coolant.

So...as Fluid XP is non-conductive will that prevent the "battery" effect which would result from having the aluminum flow meter in line or should I just find myself another?

If so...anyone have suggestions for a nice one that works with 1/2 tubing?
 
Its anodized which will reduce the chance of galvanic corosion to almost 0. Put in a 1/8 cup of antifreeze that advertizes corrosion protection if you are really worried. If Fluid xp has anti-corrosion properties you are good and forget the anti-freeze.
 
http://www.fluidxp.com/

I notice that
a) the website was easy to find
b) It says it does not encourage corrosion but instead is just PH neutral so as not to promote corrosion.

I submit that
a) any performance increase over a clean loop with distilled water will be unmeasurable or within the tolerances of the measurement devices used.
b) its hella lot more expensive than a gallon of steam distilled water from the grocery store.
c) It wont hurt a thing to use it and there may be good properties that are unmeasurable but are present.

So you are not going to get anyone (with a brain) saying I put in fluid xp and my computer exploded. Nor are you going to get people to say I switched to fluid XP and now I get 10GHZ at 4 deg C over ambient.

Oh LOOK!!! It cools as good as water !!! What a breakthru !

http://www.overclockersonline.net/index.php?page=articles&num=244&pnum=4

You can see from the results that the Fluid XP had almost identical cooling abilities as water did. This would make sense as it’s specific heat and heat conductivity properties were very close to that of water.

/add snide comment
(and the fact its probally 95% water anyway)
/end snide comment

I guess you can tell I dont care much for stuff like this cause I am a cheap bastid and would rather spend my money on wine, or women or both. But it cant hurt your system.

Oh, I have never had to change the water in my system. And if it has leaks then for Gods sake fix the leak and dont rely on some susposedly non-conductive coolant.

(Talking about my old NF7-s 5 year old WC system, not the one in the sig where I used the glowy stuff cause it was there. )

Let the flames begin ! :p
 
Hah...no flames. I have thick skin.

I already have the coolant...and have clear expectations on how it will perform. I hadn't thought about the corrosion however until I received the flow meter. I like it...but would use another if I found the correct one. This one however is annodized aluminum and thus had me concerned about corrosion when in the loop with the other metals. So the real question was has anyone experience galvanic corrosion while using Fluid XP.

Thanks for the input.
 
Back
Top